Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Kamil90
Topic Author

are recruiters truthful?

October 29th, 2021, 2:45 am

I am considering a career switch and I really would like to understand what roles offer what salary. I can understand "follow your passion" is the best but I simply have a passion for money at the moment. In particular, I am considering going into more data science related role next. Some options are go into "Lead Data Science" role or more managerial position "Data Science Manager". This is not where I am at the moment and currently a strat at the bank so I don't really know what to expect salarywise.

The recruiters are trying to match me to the same role somewhere in another bank and tell me I can expect a good bump in $$$. Quant Strat/Lead Data Scientist/Data Science Manager-are they comparable in the salary growth? I don't even know where to find some objective info on that topic. Google returns ridiculously low numbers and recruiters provide ridiculously high numbers!

bearish

Re: are recruiters truthful?

October 30th, 2021, 1:28 am

Recruiters are not entirely unlike used car salesmen and, to them, you are not entirely unlike a used car. You don’t leave us a whole lot of information to work with. Like, are you trying to move from 150 to 200 or, say, from 400 to 600? Either one is probably quite possible, but require rather different levels of sophistication, not to mention luck. Your best bet is probably to follow up and go to a couple of interviews, where you just might have a chance to get a bit of first hand info. Of course, it is considered bad form to lead with “what do you pay?”, even if that is the most important question on your mind.

DavidJN

November 4th, 2021, 4:08 pm

Perhaps a more basic question is "are recruiters knowledgeable?". I cannot say I am very optimistic about the answer to that.

mbunea

November 25th, 2021, 10:17 am

You need to correctly visualize who the recruiters are and where are they placed in the social hierarchy. If a company's social structure is described by the Gervais pyramid ( https://www.ribbonfarm.com/2009/10/07/t ... he-office/ ) with ruthless sociopaths in the upper management, clueless idiots as mid managers and hopeless losers as the peasants, first you need to realize that your interaction with the company through the regular hiring channels will NEVER get you in touch with the powerful and knowledgeable sociopaths. You'll invariably be talking / be evaluated by retarded losers and clueless mid managers.

And if this doesn't sound very appealing, add recruiters to the picture and realize they are the untermensch, drooling imbecile goatherders, scum-sucking bottom feeders of the corporate structure.

Keep this in mind next time you are tempted to anthropomorphize them and interact with them as they would poses any redeemable human qualities.

Paul

November 25th, 2021, 6:10 pm

Excellent post! Very informative. 

My only quibble would be that the goatherders that I know are lovely, smart people.

snowde

December 16th, 2021, 11:42 am

I have witnessed that their is now a mix between demand and supply side recruiting through very appealing and glitzy job posts being posted on recruiters personal profile, Selby Jennings standing out as the leader of this method.