Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Copenhagentolondon
Topic Author
Location: Somewhere between Kastrup and Luton screaming at Ryanair staff

Sorry to disappear and reappear. But I need good advice from the wonderful advisors here

February 6th, 2022, 7:43 pm

Hi guys.
Sorry for disappear and reappear all the time.
I've been contacted by somebody trying to hire me for a graduate position at Jane street.
I was mostly minding my own business, school and such(hence the disappearance). 
My question is rather simple actually, Jane street worth it? Do I give it my all? Are they worth it?

Best regards Convential take off and landing(CtoL)
Fish fingers and custard?

trackstar

Re: Sorry to disappear and reappear. But I need good advice from the wonderful advisors here

February 6th, 2022, 7:52 pm

Hi there - good to see you and congrats on the offer.

Would be a great opportunity I  imagine and I think to protect your identity, you might want to edit/delete this post/thread and put up something more general - like "what do people think of these top five/top three prop trading firms?" and just put in some names that interest you including JS.

Since you were last here, we have acquired a 15 minute time limit for editing posts. Not sure if they can be deleted indefinitely or not.

Take care and good luck!

Copenhagentolondon
Topic Author

Re: Sorry to disappear and reappear. But I need good advice from the wonderful advisors here

February 6th, 2022, 8:04 pm

Thank you so much Trackstar.
I'll try update the post in a moment.

trackstar

February 6th, 2022, 8:14 pm

Here is a decent write up of prop trading firms, short descriptions and links.

42 Top Prop Trading Firms for 2022 [Surveyed] - Analyzing Alpha

Will send a few more research resources later. : )

Article on prop trading and volatility from June 2021 - Prop Trader Hudson River Reaps $1 Billion in Frenzied Quarter - Bloomberg June 24 2021

If you haven't done it already, I'd recommend reading up on the prop trading news from last year/this quarter and highlight the names that appeal to you. 
Last edited by trackstar on February 6th, 2022, 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Copenhagentolondon
Topic Author

February 6th, 2022, 8:19 pm

Wauw, thank you again!

trackstar

February 6th, 2022, 8:35 pm

This might also be useful for general research on hedge funds, benchmarking data, indices (not just prop trading). Good for perspective.

Barclay Hedge

Fair disclosure: I'm not a prop trader myself, but a strong interest and one of my research areas. 

trackstar

February 6th, 2022, 8:53 pm

One more for good measure on alternative investments including hedge funds and specific global categories:

Preqin - Research

You have to register on these two sites (Barclays and Preqin), but certain types of information (and often the older reports 1-2 years back) are free. 

Also, if you are still a student, you might have broader access through the finance department or library at your university or you could request it.

It has been an excellent year for some prop traders and HFs, with all of the volatility and unknowns - so an exciting time to be involved in this part of the industry.

Paul

February 6th, 2022, 9:26 pm

Since you were last here, we have acquired a 15 minute time limit for editing posts. Not sure if they can be deleted indefinitely or not.
I might as well tell you, ts, that the time limit was the default after a software upgrade. We didn't even notice it until people started complaining. So naturally we did the opposite of what people wanted! I think that's much healthier than caving in to every whim and whinge! 

trackstar

February 6th, 2022, 9:35 pm

Thank you, Paul, but just for the record, I did not whine or whinge about it. I was curious, but play it as it lays, you know!
Just like changing the rules of chess - a 15-minute limit/stop creates a different playing field. 

and one more for the OP:

Jane Street: the top Wall Street firm ‘no one’s heard of’ - FT January 28 2021
"The fast-growing market-maker helped keep bond ETFs liquid during turmoil last year"

From one of Paul's favorite news sources! : D

Copenhagentolondon
Topic Author

February 6th, 2022, 9:51 pm

Oddly I agree witht he both of you here. 
Also, I'm not sure if you're joking here, but isn't FT rather simple?

trackstar

February 6th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Oddly I agree witht he both of you here. 
Also, I'm not sure if you're joking here, but isn't FT rather simple?
Haha - one might say so. So, mainstream media/financial press should not be taken as "The Truth", but it's alright to gather information from various sources and construct your own informed/critical view.

Paul

February 7th, 2022, 3:49 am

Thank you, Paul, but just for the record, I did not whine or whinge about it. 
It wasn't you I was thinking of!

trackstar

February 7th, 2022, 1:19 pm

As long as I don't get blamed for such actions, it's fine! I am only willing take blame when I truly deserve it (which is definitely not "never", but still...) : D

Back to data for the global financial markets.

One more thing, again not prop trading per se, but snap shots of various markets that can be useful in understanding the broader industry picture/pace of activity out there:

Investment Banking Scorecard (M&A/Equity/IPO/Debt "League Tables") - deallogic Wall Street Journal

This is nice because it's broken down by region and you can zoom in and out. By year and by quarter.

Now a venture-backed vacation for me, but good luck to all seeking new opportunities - looks like an interesting year ahead!

katastrofa

February 8th, 2022, 3:51 pm

Thank you, Paul, but just for the record, I did not whine or whinge about it. 
It wasn't you I was thinking of!
Attachments
36A39456-9E5F-4630-B769-E9AA13E36AE2.jpeg

Paul

February 8th, 2022, 6:49 pm

It wasn't you either!