Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Nanook
Topic Author

Subject GRE in Math

July 1st, 2002, 10:13 pm

Hi, I would like to if anyone has appeared for the Rescaled subject GRE in mathematics. Is it tougher than the previous version? What are the percantiles and scores like?thanksnAnooK

king

Subject GRE in Math

July 2nd, 2002, 9:36 pm

I took the GRE Math last November. It was my first (and only) GRE Math exam.The rescaled appears to be slightly harder than the original test, although the content is straight forward for a math graduate.

Nanook
Topic Author

Subject GRE in Math

July 2nd, 2002, 10:16 pm

Hi King, If you don't mind , can you tell me your score, percentile & the number of questions you answered correctly.I have heard that instead of 66 questions , the paper now consists of 40 odd questions. Is it true?thanksnAnooKp.s You can always send me a private message.

sehrlichman

Subject GRE in Math

July 3rd, 2002, 2:20 am

It was 66 questions. The rescaling should only affect your score (on a 990 scale) not your percentage (for obvious reasons). I wouldn't worry too much about the rescaling to be honest. The point is to help institutions distinguish between scores at the very top of the heap. In the old test, I think a score of 990 put you in something like the 93rd percentile only, so institutions could not make any determinations on a finer scale.I actually have taken both the original, and the rescaled, version of the math subject test. My percentile score fell over 10 points between the two, but then again I've been out of school for a while and my brain has suffered from "software rot." My sense is that universities - especially in computational finance, applied math, and operations research programs - are willing to overlook a soft math subject GRE if the rest of the application is good and there is compensating work experience.

jozef

Subject GRE in Math

August 4th, 2002, 4:01 pm

HiI'm going to take Gre math test this November, as far as I know there are 66 questions, and all the info you can get at GRE website.What I'm interested in is the approximate minimum score to get you studying Phd degree in math at top school.Are there any Phd's guys in this forum who'd had to pass (successfuly) this test?

TheInvestmentBiker

Subject GRE in Math

August 5th, 2002, 4:31 am

Hi ! Does a Math GRE help in terms of adding strength to ones application to a Masters in Financial Engineering program, especially if the applicant is from a finance background (like me !).Thanks in advance,Vikram.
Last edited by TheInvestmentBiker on August 4th, 2002, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martinigale

Subject GRE in Math

October 27th, 2003, 1:02 pm

is there a sample math subject gre available online ? i could not find it on the gre website.

chiral3

Subject GRE in Math

October 27th, 2003, 1:06 pm

They are on the website. At least IU have gotten them there in the past when I was studying for the math gre.

chiral3

Subject GRE in Math

October 27th, 2003, 1:09 pm

martinigale

Subject GRE in Math

October 28th, 2003, 8:36 am

thanks for the link.

jaycfa

Subject GRE in Math

November 17th, 2003, 3:46 am

Hey there, I wish to get some advice on GRE Math. I have been working through the princeton review book and plan to go through the book by REA. I was wondering if there was some other material I could go through to prepare for the exam. I have tried to look for material on the web but have not got much success. I have an engineering background with pretty decent math skills but I still think that I could use some practice in abstract algebra, real analysis and topology.Any thoughts?Thanks in advance.