Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

phoena

PhD or no PhD

September 5th, 2002, 8:11 pm

player, can I have it? I am quite interested in a Ph.D with Prof.Dempster. Thank you!

matt247ryan

PhD or no PhD

September 6th, 2002, 11:52 am

Dear Player,thank you very much, that would be great, sorry for the small mistake in my address, it is in [email protected], much appreciated.

lazy

PhD or no PhD

September 6th, 2002, 1:24 pm

Player"having the sufficient in-depth knowledge to apply what you learnt to the real world is quite another." This is relevant to the bank. It is up to the department you join to train you....There are plenty of entry level positions for which you fully meet the requirements. Imagine if all the banks were only to take omniscient people....Best proof is given by the agreements between some banks and universities to educate some of their people mainly by videoconferencing systems. Motivation is highly regarded as always. To answer to your first question if there will be a job offer it would be mainly because you were in touch with some people during your two- three days in the bank. Regarding external offers you also have to consider that you will be viewed as a master nothing more nothing less with a bit of work experience and self education....After all this is something you can do by yourself, no? I do agree with you your way is more secure even if less paid. In fact you can price it, it's a real option I would say yes for the second topic. It's a tough subject.

matt247ryan

PhD or no PhD

September 6th, 2002, 1:35 pm

I don't know, I feel unclean, even vulgar. It's just that doing a PhD, a sacred thing, just so, let's face it, you can earn big bucks, is well, well there's something vulgar about it! I feel like I've dirtied the hallowed halls of the mathematics department, sullied the place. I fear some evening soon I'll get cornered on my way back from the snack machine by the members of the student mathematics society and humiliated. I swear I can hear students and lecturers whispering...Lecturer 1: Hey, look who it is, Mr Financial Maths, God I hate that guys guts! Look at him, suit, is he coming from work?Lecturer 2: Don't let him bother you Herb, come on, let's get back to some REAL calculations!On another occasion...Lecturer: Well well well look who it is EVERYONE, Mr Financial Maths! I say ol' boy, would you be good enough to advise us as to the next step in this particular problem? No? Well then, perhaps you should stick to what YOU KNOW! Oh don't leave, please, we could all use some investment advice!All: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

player
Topic Author

PhD or no PhD

September 6th, 2002, 4:00 pm

LazyCheers again for the advice. I think that is the main concern for me- the financial side of things i.e would I be able to stand being a broke student for three may be four more years. If I was being well paid (relatively speaking) then I dont think I would have a problem with finishing a PhD. If anyone has advise on how to obtain more sponsorship for my PhD your views would be most welcome.REgarding my actual PhD topic, if you know of anywhere I could obtain further inforamtion in this area of research it would again be most welcomePlayer

matt247ryan

PhD or no PhD

September 11th, 2002, 4:56 pm

I have a question related to the title of this thread, so it'll probably be ignored but here goes...How exactly does PhD study work? I'm looking for some impression of what it's like, what's involved.

Harish

PhD or no PhD

September 15th, 2002, 12:46 pm

Hi, It depend on where you study for a PhD. If its in a UK university then it could be done in three years. At the end of the three years, you have to produce research work that is original, in the form of a thesis, that has not been done by anybody else. The topic can be in any field. Normally in the first year you study along side an equivalent Masters cousre, but not having to do the exams. The second year one puts together research and conculsions. Third year write up and publish the thesis, followed my a final justifaction of your work to others in the field. Some corrections, if any, to the work need to be complete and you are done. Note in the U.S. the process is stretched out more and may take longer.
Last edited by Harish on January 8th, 2003, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J

PhD or no PhD

September 15th, 2002, 4:17 pm

Do universities in UK give full financial support for three years to those who are full time students in their PhD programs?

wisdom

PhD or no PhD

September 15th, 2002, 5:08 pm

There is a funding body called the EPSRC who have grants available for UK students. But it's not a free for all they only allocate so many each year to so many universities. Right now they are worth about 8k per annum plus tuition fees paid for. But this is only available for UK residents and usually you need an impressive academic record (such as a 1st class degree). They even provide grants for some Masters courses.

Alf

PhD or no PhD

September 21st, 2002, 5:09 pm

Hello, I would like to know if anyone can give me some information of the "Europenan Doctorate Program in Quantitative economics, EDP", I am interested to take place and do some research in Quantitative Finances. I would like to Know if it has good name and etcThank you very muchAlf [email protected]