SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Tomfr
Topic Author

Exotic derivatives risk

April 15th, 2005, 7:46 am

Hi,Got an offer for exotic derivatives risk control in Paris. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of the kind of figure (base+%) to expect there (or what kind of figure for a similar, junior position in London)? Also, does anyone know to what extent the title "risk control" differs from "risk management"?PM me if you likeCheers
Last edited by Tomfr on April 15th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wallstreet

Exotic derivatives risk

April 15th, 2005, 1:53 pm

Hi, congrats for your offer. I wanted to Know what is your background and what qualities do paris firms look in quants. I am currently doing my PhD in physics in the USA. I want to become a Quant in Paris or Switzerland once I finish. Do you think I can get an offer in Paris?Thanks
Last edited by wallstreet on April 14th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantstudent19

Exotic derivatives risk

April 15th, 2005, 8:18 pm

felicitations!!

Benchy

Exotic derivatives risk

April 23rd, 2005, 6:57 am

Hi Wall Street,the profile you have is very appreciated in Paris. Are you fluent in French ?

AlphaNumericus

Exotic derivatives risk

April 24th, 2005, 6:47 pm

'does anyone know to what extent the title "risk control" differs from "risk management"?'Where I work, 'risk control' is a small group within the risk management organization tasked with making sure that the risk measures presented to the risk managers and the senior management are correct and complete. The typical scenario they're meant to prevent is, some trader starts trading some weird contract they haven't traded before (e.g. they migh have traded vanilla swaps for years, but now they suddenly embed a call option and a provision that some credit event knocks out the swap); the backoffice systems that calculate risk blithely ignore the new terms and conditions because no one there knows how to model them; so the risk control descend upon the desk to make sure they have some kind of a spreadsheet to calculate the new risks and to amend the risk report that the risk managers see, until the backoffice risk calculators can be enhanced. So it's more operational than quantitative work. But it might mean something completely different at other firms.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On