Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Tomfr
Topic Author

Job dilemma: risk or strategy?

April 21st, 2005, 11:33 am

Hi all,I have a major job dilemma, with two quite different job offers on hold (answer required by tomorrow!!). Salaries (and location, ie Paris) are quite comparable so it's difficult to get a clear advantage there!Job A:- French subsidiary of a global top 3 bank (by size)- title: risk control on exotic structured products- pros: get to know lots of products, perspectives of evolution abroad within the firm, bank is pushing on developping its market activities- cons: some grunt work involved, middle office status, not so well known on market activitiesJob B:- ALM branch of a major French IB (pure IB house)- title: strategist (asset allocation) / economist- pros: brand name of the firm, intellectual challenge of the job, small size (get to handle important responsibilities)- cons: the ALM branch may not be as famous as the mother company, small perspectives of evolution within the firm, period somehow shaky at the head of the companyAny suggestion more than welcome, either here or via PM!CheersTom

uiouio

April 21st, 2005, 8:24 pm

From a totally unqualified viewpoint Job B looks way phatter due to intellectual challenges and the oppurtunity to get responsibility for important stuff fast.

quantstudent19

April 21st, 2005, 9:06 pm

i guess the question is, do you wanna do programming, or do you wanna do economy ?

Odusseus

April 22nd, 2005, 3:28 am

Go for Job B. Whatever is said about prospects during any sort of interview should be taken with a pinch of salt: one bird in the hand is worth ten in the bush.

Boundary

April 22nd, 2005, 7:08 am

I would definitely go for B. More challenging, more top-down and less technically-driven.

Benchy

April 22nd, 2005, 7:43 am

I told you Tom, Job B seem sexier...anyway, why don't you want to trade ?

quantstudent19

April 22nd, 2005, 7:47 am

hey benchy what are u doing next yr?

Benchy

April 23rd, 2005, 6:24 am

Hey QuantStudent ? Who are you ???? I think I know but I am not sure...Caro ?Well, I am now on a pre-employment internship at Ixis CIB in Paris. I am trading structured and exotic products on Hedge Funds, Funds of Funds, etc.It includes some Vanilla Options (but even European Call are quite difficult to price in Alternative Investments environment, due to not possibility to short-selling, and then difficulties to delta-hedge), Exotic Options, Multi Assets (Best Of, Worst of, etc...) and the most funky...CCPI Options...!!!We do some hybrids too..And you, what will you do next year ?Benchy

quantstudent19

April 23rd, 2005, 7:12 am

yep its me!!will be staying where i am (exotics trading), check your pmcongrats on your offer, sounds great!

Benchy

April 23rd, 2005, 8:29 am

Sounds good!!!send me emails.......BNP P ?which products ?