SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tfh
Topic Author

DEA/DESS Yet again

April 27th, 2005, 11:29 am

I'm finishing school(Supélec) in september 2005, and I would like to continue studying because I feel that I don't know enough yet about derivatives ( the courses I followed are at Hull's book level) . I ultimately want to work as a trader on exotic derivatives, not as a quant.If any one can advise me, I'm seeking information on the following masters :DEA Paris VI (El Karoui) . DEA Paris VII (Laure Elie) . DESS 203 Paris Dauphine.Having read the different programs it's clear that both DEA are more quantitative than the DESS. But are the DEAs added maths necessary to become an "exotic" trader. Is the DESS known in London, is it quantitative enough to become an exotic trader ? I suppose the DESS is enough to become a trader on vanilla derivatives or FX.... but what about exotics ? What about the internships after those masters, I've heard that PVI only accepts internships as quant is that true ? Thanks,tfh
Last edited by tfh on April 26th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomfr

DEA/DESS Yet again

April 27th, 2005, 2:12 pm

203 is very well regarded both in France and rest of Europe (though maybe less on the quantitative desks as compared to the DEAs) but the vast majority of the people I know from this programme are either vanilla traders (one is repo, two are cash FX...) or exotic sales persons (one structured products marketer, one EMTN...). You can get an idea of past students positions at http://www.dess203.com/fr/anciens.As for P6, it seems interns tend to hold quite quantitative roles, but maybe not necessarily quant labelled desks (see http://www.masterfinance.proba.jussieu. ... =recherche)Depending on how long you intend to study, you might also consider Ensae (in two years)

madmax

DEA/DESS Yet again

April 27th, 2005, 4:16 pm

With no hesitation P VI, then P VII. Ensae can be combined with the DEA if you want.

tfh
Topic Author

DEA/DESS Yet again

April 27th, 2005, 5:00 pm

I think in two years I would be better off doing PVI Columbia ENSAE + PVI ? Is it possible to share some credits ? I've heard that PVI was so hard that it wasn't really possible to do it whilst being in engineering school, well that's the rumors at supelec anyway. But then again supelec doesn't want you to do finance so they might have tried to scare me off. I didn't know I could do Ensae after Supelec Now that actually sounds like a very good plan :2nd Year ENSAE // PVINYU instead of third year at ENSAE. That would be some intense 2 years tfh

quantstudent19

DEA/DESS Yet again

April 27th, 2005, 5:27 pm

ENSAE + P6 very difficult.not because you dont have time, but because theres a ban on ensae students at nicole's DEABut it is said to be possible with some networking (also, you've done supelec, it might help)My two cents, though... (i know tomfr won't agree with me on that one )you've already been studying for at least 5 years, you really wanna do another 2 ??Go get a job !!Edit: Okay, just read one of your previous posts, I already told you that, and you already said you wanted to keep studying. Sorry for that!So if you graduate from Supelec + ENSAE + P6 + NYU, you'll be 400% sure to get a quant job at the end if you want to.Regarding trading, you'll be slightly better off than with just supelec degree, but not that much i think.
Last edited by quantstudent19 on April 26th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tfh
Topic Author

DEA/DESS Yet again

April 28th, 2005, 6:58 am

Are there any statistics about the raet of failure in Nicole's DEA ? I don't know anyone in the 2004/2005 promo to ask him directly. So, a question to the students who passed it : Did everyone pass? Are there many students who fail ?
Last edited by tfh on April 27th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On