Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

zarenina
Topic Author

Please help me to decide what school to choose.

May 8th, 2005, 4:28 am

Well, thank you everybody for your help before :)I was accepted to1) Baruch College M.S. in Applied Mathematics for Finance2) Carnegie Melon (New York) M.S. in Computational Finance3) Columbia M.A. in StatisticsI was rejected from Columbia’s M.A. in Mathematics with Specialization in the Math of Finance. But Columbia offered me to switch to MA in Stats and I did and was accepted.So now I have to decide where to go.I would probably choose Carnegie’s program if I would live in Pittsburg, but I am in NY and I don’t like that NY Carnegie's program is kind of “distant learning”. Columbia’s MA in Stats was not my goal, but I think if I take proper electives and maybe some additional courses, I will be able to get a job in financial engineering. Baruch’s program is good but the school is not as good as the others. So I don’t have a perfect match and I have to decide from what I have…. I need your help. :) What would you choose and why?Please help me to decide, I just moved to USA and I don’t really have anybody else to advise with :)Thank you in advance.
Last edited by zarenina on May 7th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alainniala

May 8th, 2005, 11:51 am

I would go for CMU. Never heard of the first program you mention...

JMR

May 8th, 2005, 12:21 pm

I'd go for CMU

rblaser

May 8th, 2005, 1:18 pm

CMU and take Shreve's classes

madmax

May 8th, 2005, 2:26 pm

Go for CMU whatever other choice you have (Columbia Math fin or whatever).I think this is the top program at the moment.If you do it from NYC it is a kind of distance learning but you have a classroom, and the courses are videoblabla, but it is I believe a class with real students and you should check but I think you can still interact with the course convenor, I am not sure but I think I remember it was so kind of Live video confernce.This is different from being at home and receiving recorded courses.

PDiCarterY

May 8th, 2005, 5:07 pm

I just sent you a PM I also want to add some comments regarding the video conferencing network for CMU. Have you stopped by and checked out the technology? It's pretty cool. It's a live video conferencing and the only difference between the Pittsburgh campus and NYC facility is that the professor is not physically standing in front of you. Other than that, it's the same. You can still have all the live interaction with professors and your classmates at the Pittsburgh campus. The professors do come to NYC and teach in front of us twice every mini-semester though. You can contact Gai Bos if you have specific questions regarding the NYC facility. Feel free to PM me if you have any further question. Congrats!
Last edited by PDiCarterY on May 7th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BerkeleyMFE

May 8th, 2005, 10:14 pm

Go with CMU--it's a no brainer.

DIMA

May 9th, 2005, 1:10 am

CMU!!!!CMU Comp Finance is one of the best programs. The only drawback it's expensive.MathFin at CU is not that well-known, Stats even less........you will have a much easier time looking for a job being at CMU and you will have time to do summer intern.........
Last edited by DIMA on May 8th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarenina
Topic Author

May 9th, 2005, 3:51 am

Thank you everybody for replies!

madmax

May 9th, 2005, 12:55 pm

Quite unanimous replies indeed !

steveya

May 10th, 2005, 4:33 am

We are almost identical in our school choices (well, except that I didn't know the first program you mentioned.) I got the MA Stat possilble offer from CU too in rejection of my admission to MAFN. I didn't reply though since it was not my goal either. I am planning on going to CMU in NY too, and am worrying about the video conference thing too. Also worrying about the lack of library and other utilities that usually appear on main campus (computer labs, fitness centers, sport teams to name a few...) I emailed Gaitrie Bos about this but had got nothing back yet. Do you think it is possible to transfer to the Pittsburgh campus?Steve

PDiCarterY

May 10th, 2005, 4:57 am

Hey Steve,Yes, it's possible to transfet to Pittsburgh campus PRIOR to the start of the program. You must indicate your interest to Gwen and Rick. It's highly unlikely, if not impossible, to transfer from NYC facility to Pittsburgh campus after the program gets started (must have compelling reasons/stories).
Last edited by PDiCarterY on May 9th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveya

May 10th, 2005, 5:40 am

Thank you PDi! Have you landed on a school yet?

mam3xs

May 10th, 2005, 2:50 pm

Def. CMSo strong for its QF