SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

varuns
Topic Author

UNCC vs Kent State

May 8th, 2005, 12:05 pm

hi all, I am a new member and an international student interested in Financial Engineering.I applied to the three places:IIT -- MS in FinanceUNCC-- MS in Math financeKent state-- MS in Financial EngineeringI enquired from various places as well read discussions on Wilmoot's and the opinion on IIT is not very avorable.Any more views ,please let me know??Now , I would seriously appreciate if someone can give me the real facts abt UNCC Math Finance program in terms of reputation, job and future prospects, and types of jobs available..I searched here also and was only able to find one discussion (on UNCC) which was also not much of a help.Please advise between kent state and UNCC , which one would be a better choice and whether a 1yr prog better than a 2 yr or vice versa.i have CS backgrnd and hence not much of prior Finance exposure.So please advise soon as i need to reserve a seat at Kent's by june 1 with $500/-...eagerly waiting for a reply,Varun

ppauper

UNCC vs Kent State

May 8th, 2005, 5:09 pm

Last edited by ppauper on August 12th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

varuns
Topic Author

UNCC vs Kent State

May 8th, 2005, 6:47 pm

hi ppauper, Well i guess that hippies incident is way too old man to even consider today.Anyways, I would really want to know abt UNCC.I have hardly any proper info abt UNCC and its prog apart from the website.Please let me know ur views on UNCC...waiting....

Tomfr

UNCC vs Kent State

May 9th, 2005, 3:14 pm

As far as I know, the main attention in NC is devoted to Chapel Hill and Charlotte may thus suffer from this... No idea about Kent. All in all, IIT may be the best place among the three but this really is my 0.02$

Neige

UNCC vs Kent State

May 9th, 2005, 3:38 pm

As an International student you'll die of boredom in Carlotte before becoming a quant . The ocean is 4h drive away and the mountains are about 1-2.

Wienner

UNCC vs Kent State

May 9th, 2005, 5:05 pm

Varun:IIT is best option you have in the list you stated. Which program are you thinking of MS Finance or MS Financial Markets. The school is a few blocks from CBOT and CME and NYC is just a 1.5 hrs flight.Again I do agree with ppauper, compared to U of C. U of C is far more superior (and quantitative). Chicago just has these 2 schools that provide a quant qualification. In case you need more info wrt to IIT, PM me.All the best.

ppauper

UNCC vs Kent State

May 10th, 2005, 12:39 pm

Last edited by ppauper on August 12th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mam3xs

UNCC vs Kent State

May 10th, 2005, 2:45 pm

For universty of illinois chicago, there is a leading person named Pliska, who is top leading professor in QF

sammus

UNCC vs Kent State

May 11th, 2005, 4:03 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: mam3xsFor universty of illinois chicago, there is a leading person named Pliska, who is top leading professor in QFand Dr. Lipton, who was the "quant of the year".

varuns
Topic Author

UNCC vs Kent State

May 11th, 2005, 5:41 pm

thanks guys, but i am reallt waiting for some info on UNCC.Now i have got proper info abt IIT...so an info on UNCC will be gr8Varun
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On