Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

CarolynT
Topic Author

HH vs references

November 18th, 2005, 5:18 pm

A friend of mine has had the follwing situation.She passed all of interviews. She got a jo. But her headhunter wants to talk to her referee. She does not know if it is right to give her HH the name of her referee. It is kind of involving privacy issues.Does she have to give her HH the name of her referee?

JohnJackson

HH vs references

November 18th, 2005, 9:59 pm

Sounds as though her headhunter has no reason to speak to her referee as far as her job situation is concerned. If she has already got the offer/accepted then she will be giving her referee details to the firm via their HR?In some cases the headhunter will take references also but usually (99%) the firm conducts their own checks. I suspect that the only reason for the HH to speak to her reference is so they can drum up business - ultimately there is going to be a vacancy if she leaves her current job and the HH is keen to get the heads up on that one?Unless there is very good/legitimate reason i'd be telling the HH to go fish. There are some genuinely brilliant HH out there, but most are sharks (these are usually the recruiters NOT the headhunters).

needaclue

HH vs references

November 18th, 2005, 10:52 pm

excuse me for being ignorant, but what is meant by referee here?

TraderJoe

HH vs references

November 18th, 2005, 11:18 pm

Someone, usually a former employer, who provides a reference.

DominicConnor

HH vs references

November 19th, 2005, 12:37 pm

JohnJackson is right to be a little cynical of headhunters, but sometimes the bank wants the HH to do the work of getting a referee.It's a real pain for the HH, had one person where not only did the bank they'd worked for 5 years ago flatly refused to give a reference, but would not even budgewhen I told them that it was a different part of the same bank who was taking them on.You may of course feel that the HH has done a good job for you, and thus don't have a problem if they try to recruit your replacement for your old job.Given that they will have been looking at people rather like you for the new job, good chance they can quickly fill the whole created by your departure.Howevr, if you feel they are sharks looking for prey, then be aware that upsetting your referee by getting them loads of sales calls may not be to your advantage.It may not be the last time they act as a reference, and you don't want them annoyed for last time they gave a reference.Most firms "due dilligence" is covered by a simple note from HR saying "X worked here from X to Y as a Z"Thus if you give them the details for HR, they should be satisfied. At a number of firms you need 5 years seamless references, else you simply cannot start work there even if there is anoffer.Be aware that most offer letters are carefully crafted not to be in any way a commitment and typically say "subject to references".Occasionally a manager will really want to talk to your old boss, not that common but happens.In which case you ask their permission first. Providing you are leaving with some grace, most will agree. Again if you are worried abour the HH, ask for the new manager's contact details and ask your old boss to contact them. This may work better, since it is one thing to ring someone at a time of your choosing, and another to be rung when one is busy.

CarolynT
Topic Author

HH vs references

November 19th, 2005, 4:44 pm

Thanks!My friend did not get along well with her ex-boss. They did not like each at all. (the world is not perfect.) She does not want to talk to ex-boss. She has only one good friend in her previous firm.If her new boss contacted her ex-boss, it would really screw up the whole thing. If her new firm asks for references including her ex-boss, what should my friend do?

DominicConnor

HH vs references

November 19th, 2005, 6:20 pm

There's no risk free path here.I'd still stick with the HR route, it's what they are for. If the HH is on the level, he just wants a name to pass to the bank, as long as it's a plausible response like HR, he'll go away happy.In this sort of situation, it's possible that the ex-boss may say something that gets the firm into legal trouble. That's why at so many firms you are explicitly forbidden in your contract from giving any reference at all. All requests are supposed to be handled by HR.There's no upside for the referee's firm in giving a bad reference, but potentially a $10 million downside, it happens.I'd need a good reason not to use HR, and we have to accpet the possibility that the "only friend" gives a reference they may get crap from the ex-boss.One also has to ask if they were that isolated, perhaps there is an issue ?But if there is a such a reason, just give the name of the friend, as long as they are quite senior.There are other methods, PM me if you want them

CarolynT
Topic Author

HH vs references

November 19th, 2005, 7:46 pm

Thanks, DCFC for giving suggestions and respecting privacy. I PM you alreadly.

CarolynT
Topic Author

HH vs references

November 22nd, 2005, 2:28 pm

DCFC,have you got time to check your Private message box? If you have time, please reply it to me. Thanks

linuxuser99

HH vs references

November 23rd, 2005, 8:19 am

Provided "your freind" left without actually being fired or under a disciplinary warning then go the HR route. 99% of firms now have a policy of refusing to give out references other than very bland ones. It's not unreasonable to say "I dont want to put my old boss in a difficult position, we had a policy forbidding giving references, he was a real stickler for the rules, if you force this issue with him he will react badly at what he sees as me trying to make him break the rules."