SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

CarolynT
Topic Author

Why DID you want to choose "hard science"?

January 30th, 2006, 3:11 am

When I look at this Look for jobs,One question: Why did you choose hard science as your field? Since $$$$$ matters, why not go for a MBA?
Last edited by CarolynT on January 29th, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

htmlballsup

January 30th, 2006, 9:23 am

Carolyn, I did hard science because I wanted to understand quantum mechanics and relativity. I was lucky enough to be taught by a man who did more than anybody to reconcile them, and will probably die without a Nobel, because his prediction was too far ahead of mankinds ability to provide experimental confirmation.

RealIllusion

January 30th, 2006, 10:15 am

htmlballsup, please reveal the name of your teacher, and the nature of his prediction regarding the reconciliation of qm and relativity.

htmlballsup

January 30th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Higgs. The Higgs boson.

wallstreet

January 30th, 2006, 2:28 pm

For one, doing a masters/PhD in hard Science gets you financial aid as TA/RA. An MBA, on the other hand, requires students to get loans and personal funding; Schools provide little or no funding at all for MBA. Secondly, if $$$$$ matters, one should go for a top rated MBA, not any MBA! By this i mean Harvard, Stanford, NYU... The admission in these schools are hard to say the least! Not mentioning tuition fees which are astronomical, and also they look for work experience. Getting admitted for a hard science program is way easier!

ppauper

January 30th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Higgs vs Hawking. It's personalQuoteProfessor Hawking.....put money on particle physicists failing to discover the Higgs with the Large Electron Positron (LEP) particle accelerator at the Cern nuclear laboratory in Geneva.Much to the disappointment of particle physicists, the LEP finally closed down last year without finding the elusive boson. Professor Hawking may have won his bet, but in his triumph he failed to win many friends among the disgruntled fraternity of particle physicists.

CarolynT
Topic Author

January 30th, 2006, 8:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: wallstreetFor one, doing a masters/PhD in hard Science gets you financial aid as TA/RA. An MBA, on the other hand, requires students to get loans and personal funding; Schools provide little or no funding at all for MBA. Secondly, if $$$$$ matters, one should go for a top rated MBA, not any MBA! By this i mean Harvard, Stanford, NYU... The admission in these schools are hard to say the least! Not mentioning tuition fees which are astronomical, and also they look for work experience. Getting admitted for a hard science program is way easier!You can borrow $$ from a bank. If you were born in the US, it is not a big deal to get in a top American MBA program.
Last edited by CarolynT on January 29th, 2006, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoShame

January 30th, 2006, 10:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CarolynTQuoteOriginally posted by: wallstreetFor one, doing a masters/PhD in hard Science gets you financial aid as TA/RA. An MBA, on the other hand, requires students to get loans and personal funding; Schools provide little or no funding at all for MBA. Secondly, if $$$$$ matters, one should go for a top rated MBA, not any MBA! By this i mean Harvard, Stanford, NYU... The admission in these schools are hard to say the least! Not mentioning tuition fees which are astronomical, and also they look for work experience. Getting admitted for a hard science program is way easier!You can borrow $$ from a bank. If you were born in the US, it is not a big deal to get in a top American MBA program.It is not everyone can succeed with a top MBA, similarly it happens to any FE holder or sciencetist. It is about intuition, hard work and networking skills.For example, FE will lead you to Chief Risk Officer. MBA may take you to the post of CEO. Many people want to work for IB because they think it iseasier to make money and fame. Recently people think that FinMath is an easier route to enter IB. So, you find that people are hopping into FE/QF/FinMath program.It is all about survival guide. Overall, I would think a top rated MBA program is worth trying your luck.

TraderJoe

January 30th, 2006, 10:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CarolynTWhen I look at this Look for jobs,One question: Why did you choose hard science as your field? Since $$$$$ matters, why not go for a MBA?1. MBA requires work experience. 2. Hard science is a labour of love. 3. Takes awhile to figure out that investment banks and QF actually exist (they're far removed from string theory).
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On