SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

MBAFinance
Topic Author

How female quants are doing?

April 18th, 2006, 4:16 am

I came from High Tech background. Very few women advanced as tech lead, dev manager etc. Do women have as many opportunities as men in quantitative finance?
Last edited by MBAFinance on April 17th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DominicConnor

April 18th, 2006, 8:20 am

My commercial judgement is that an identically qualified woman has slightly more chance of getting a given quant job than a man.You mention "hi tech", in QF that means C++. There are very few Java quant jobs, and almost nothing in markup languages, indeed I worry about seeing HTML on quant CVs.It's good to be articulate, and avoiding fist fights on the trading floor is generally seen as good, but ultimately people get hired for what they can do.No one will make allowances for you being female, we don't, nor do any of our clients.Of course some men have prejudices, and at several banks I work with, it's quite likely that the 4-8 people who will interview you are all male, even the HR.Some people who aren't overtly biased, just have a mental image of what someone in a given job "is like".Presumably you've dealt with that before. The male ratio in quant work is if anything higher than in technology. But I observe inexplicable demographics.I was at Cass for a big careers event and of the 200 there, I'd guess 15-20% were female, yet in the job I think it's rather less than 5%.These were mostly at Masters level of course, and at PhD level the ratio of input is roughly the same as the existing population.

jfuqua

April 18th, 2006, 2:19 pm

I have seen very few women quants in the companies I've been around. The one I did see was on the second tier---i.e. programmer of quantitative apps. like a number of other math/physics PhDs and not developer of models or pricing. I also have seen very few women attend the local seminars that had quantitative topics---university or industry. Where I did see women as a large proportion of the audience, was at the Bachelier Conference---though it seemed alot of them were from France and Italy. To a lesser degree the quantitative sessions of the American Finance Assoc. meetings had a higher proportion of women than I've seen in industry. In IT---even areas that implemented models and apps [i.e. the GUI, data bases, etc.]---the proportion of women to men is much higher [and that same ratio in supervisory postions over developers], than in Quant areas.

MBAFinance
Topic Author

April 19th, 2006, 5:21 pm

What do you think are the reasons for so few female quants?

farmer

April 19th, 2006, 6:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MBAFinanceWhat do you think are the reasons for so few female quants?Were you raised in a cave? If you don't know this by now, chances are nothing anyone could say would get through your thick skull.And why does it matter anyway? Your problems, assets, and opportunities, are unique to you. Some of them others may have in common with you, but it's a lot easier to see them just by looking at yourself. Especially if you are weird.What do you think are the reasons that you will or won't be a quant?If I were to ask the question "Why are there so few male waiters at Hooters?," it would imply that I don't know enough about the job to want it. So maybe the question you need answered is "What do quants do, and why do they do it?"Or more simply "Why are you a quant?"

jfuqua

April 19th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Probably has to do with the whole issue of women's proportion in all of the physical/mathematical sciences. That is a whole topic. Hopefully with the notice Lisa Randall and Melanie Wood have got, the field(s) may look more attractive to young women. I had another posting sometime ago on a similar topic [I don't recall what inspired it] that in France probably three of the top four people in quant finance are women--Geman, El Karoui and Jeanblanc. My impression is Italy also encourages women in the field---from the Bachelier Conference. Another part is as with men, the lack [or apparent] of industry jobs/funding for the natural sciences---labs, post-docs. As with banks, hedge funds, etc., they can hire foreign grads for less and hold the job status over them if they complain. Thus MBAs, MDs and JDs become a quicker and more profitable [at least in sense of job security] route for even people with more interest in the sciences.

farmer

April 19th, 2006, 6:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MBAFinanceHow female quants are doing?These people didn't even anwer your question. Suppose you wanted to ask "How are females, as a single actor, doing as quants?" The answer would be terribly, since most women aren't doing anything as quants. Neither most women, nor most men, are quants.Now of the tiny subset of women who are quants, how are they doing? I imagine they are doing fine. Are they doing as well, on average, as the tiny subset of men who are quants, are doing as quants? Probably better.So female quants are doing better than male quants. But females are doing worse than males, if becoming a quant is the goal. But for a lot of men, becoming a quant isn't the goal, paying the bills is.Now since females are doing fine as quants, and you are a female, you don't have to do anything, because you are already doing well just by sitting there being a female. They're doing it for you. Go sister!

jfuqua

May 10th, 2006, 2:56 pm

MBAFinance, You might want look at the new book 'Letters to a Young Mathematican' by Ian Stewart. While talking about issues in a career in mathematics [from grade school to a tenured position] he does mention a number of issues specific to women in the field---and good advise for FEs or anyone in the sciences even if they branch off to industry. As to women in mathematics, he mentions that Portugal is making a big effort to get women into the professional ranks.

TraderJoe

May 12th, 2006, 12:00 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: jfuquaMBAFinance,As to women in mathematics, he mentions that Portugal is making a big effort to get women into the professional ranks.The City is trembling in its boots.

ppauper

May 12th, 2006, 12:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jfuqua You might want look at the new book 'Letters to a Young Mathematican' by Ian Stewart. he's still alive ?Quote As to women in mathematics, he mentions that Portugal is making a big effort to get women into the professional ranks.I heard San Marino and Andorra have made huge strides as well

migalley

May 12th, 2006, 12:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: jfuqua You might want look at the new book 'Letters to a Young Mathematican' by Ian Stewart. he's still alive ?Quote As to women in mathematics, he mentions that Portugal is making a big effort to get women into the professional ranks.I heard San Marino and Andorra have made huge strides as wellDouble post
Last edited by migalley on May 11th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

migalley

May 12th, 2006, 12:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: jfuqua You might want look at the new book 'Letters to a Young Mathematican' by Ian Stewart. he's still alive ?Quote As to women in mathematics, he mentions that Portugal is making a big effort to get women into the professional ranks.I heard San Marino and Andorra have made huge strides as wellWhat about the Vatican?

linuxuser99

May 12th, 2006, 4:09 pm

>> What about the Vatican?That's cross dressers silly - not real women!

farmer

May 12th, 2006, 4:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jfuquaAs to women in mathematics, he mentions that Portugal is making a big effort to get women into the professional ranks.Not that it takes much of an effort. Women in Portugal get into whatever they're told to get into, and generally do whatever they're told.

DominicConnor

May 15th, 2006, 6:47 am

There does seem to be a vastly larger % of women studying finance than those who actually do it.I see 2 interpretations, neither of which really convince me.1: There is a huge demographic shift from about 5 to 20% suddenly startingto work it's way through the system.2: Women who study finance, decide afterwards to do something else.Anyone think of option 3
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On