SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

RealIllusion
Topic Author

Compensation history & DOB

September 13th, 2006, 2:23 pm

An HH has contacted me with a number of attractive looking opportunities he wants to put me forward for. However, he says he can't proceed unless I send him 4 years salary history, as well as my date of birth (which isn't on my CV). He claims that this info is a prerequisite for the HR depts to consider my application. Is it a reasonable request?

trader14

September 13th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Sounds unreasonable to me. maybe the date of birth is required but even for that a new law has come in. As for salry you can say that you will discuss this with the employer upon empoloyment. Sounds he is collecting info on salaries your last employers paid, so can contact them and ask if he can represent them for jobs.

gardener3

September 13th, 2006, 3:32 pm

In the US, it is illegal to use age in determining who to hire. They shouldn't be asking for your age. If you don't trust the HH, tell him the salary information is confidential, or give him vague ranges. If you trust him, have a honest conversation so he has an idea of what your expectations are and won't waste your time with irrelavent interviews.

DominicConnor

September 13th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Some banks have asked us not to supply DOB, for fear that it increases their legal exposure.We do get asked about compensation history, and for that we need to be told, since it is still the case that pricing new staff is often done by "current comp + x%"If you feel you are being data mined as trader14 suggests, then simply dedcut information. HR at your target bank don't need to know managers names or even the division you were working for. Saying $X at Bank of Wales is enough.Don't lieI know that's tempting but these facts are often checks, and it can kill an offer.It is tempting of course to give comp history as a relatively simple numerical integration that the hiring manager will know, but most HHs will stare blankly at.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On