SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

StatTrader

Salaries in Options Market Making

February 5th, 2007, 6:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: bouncerNorthern John, thanks for your enlightening feedback on the art of flow trading. A clarification of my last sentence:A prop shop trades their own money not that of their clients - perhaps I am mistaken, but I don't believe so. I deduce therefore that a prop trader works at a prop shop. Hedge funds play with clients' money. In that sense I am a bit confused of the notion that prop traders trade at hedge funds. Is the P/L of the hedge fund trader (the P/L from which his pay is determined) the real return that the trader makes to the fund ( (P/L - costs)*management fee ; the rest goes to the client, I guess) or the total return he makes on the portfolio he manages ( P/L - costs)I would also call hedge fund traders prop traders. I think of it this way:a) prop trading - your P\L is generated from your own trading ideas. e.g. hedge funds, IB prop desks.b) flow trading - your P\L is generated from earning the spread. e.g. market making.c) brokerage - you're P\L comes from executing customer trades. e.g. customer execution.I can give you one data point for the hedge fund payout (2% mgmt fee, 20% incentive fee in my case):Lets say managing a $100MM fund XYZ I make a 10% return.The hedge fund (my employer) gets 20% x 10% x $100MM = $2MM and the remaining $8MM goes to the client.The portfolio management team typically gets around 50% of the incentive fee income which in this example would be $1MM.Some firms will also pay the PM a percentage of the mgmt fee (25% from my experience), and in such instances, would also allocate costs to the PM for services such as IT\Ops\legal provided by other members of the firm. ST

bouncer
Topic Author

February 5th, 2007, 8:43 pm

StatTrader, I appreciate your detailed feedback. Thank you.

NorthernJohn

February 5th, 2007, 8:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: bouncerNorthern John, thanks for your enlightening feedback on the art of flow trading. A clarification of my last sentence:A prop shop trades their own money not that of their clients - perhaps I am mistaken, but I don't believe so. I deduce therefore that a prop trader works at a prop shop. Yes, you already posted that. Your deduction is wrong. Prop just means that they take positions, principally, as opposed to principally trading flow.I apologise for giving you a correct simple answer, and will not bother you any further.

BlackSwan2

February 24th, 2008, 10:19 pm

QuoteI think of it this way:a) prop trading - your P\L is generated from your own trading ideas. e.g. hedge funds, IB prop desks.b) flow trading - your P\L is generated from earning the spread. e.g. market making.c) brokerage - you're P\L comes from executing customer trades. e.g. customer execution.STWhat I heard is a bit different. b) is maket maker. c) is flow trader.

PDiCarterY

February 24th, 2008, 10:46 pm

You are absolutely correct, BlackSwan2. At least that's the way I understand it.I sent you a message.

jax26

February 26th, 2008, 11:38 am

flow trading = market makingif you are executing trades for a clients book (ie brokerage) you are an execution trader
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On