Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

jfuqua
Topic Author

Quant Discussion Groups

February 27th, 2007, 10:55 pm

Has anyone seen cases where quants and/or people interested in financial mathematics get together on a regular basis and work through a book or select a working paper or article and discuss it ? Of course I'm excluding people doing this as part of university course. At one time a few banks and derivative firms boasted of having in-house sessions like this but it sounds like most gave that up because they wanted everyone 'working' instead of learning. What I'm thinking of are like-minded people getting together at a public or university library, home or at a corporate office on a regular basis. My experience is [probably at least outside of NY and London] that there are not enough people located in an area [i.e. live in different suburbs that makes meetings difficult], the pressures to learn are not that great [i.e. you are paid to do one thing and not expected to move up], the job is considered a way to make money to live and without NY/London pressure it is easier just to 'settle-in' until being replaced by next 'crop'], they don't want to spend their time 'teaching' others not at their level [if they are math. don't want to spend time explaining what they know or if finance people explaining finance]---i.e. no payoff for them.

gardener3

Quant Discussion Groups

February 27th, 2007, 11:22 pm

Having such discussions online would alleviate two of the problems you mention - common location and appearing to waste time. Only if there were a quantitative finance forum on the internet... Damn, can't think of any.

DominicConnor

Quant Discussion Groups

February 28th, 2007, 8:27 am

Online is fine, but a blackboard would be nice, and a bit of focus on a topic would be more productive.I think it's worth a try, and can help get it going, anyone else interested ?

bogracer

Quant Discussion Groups

February 28th, 2007, 8:48 am

I'd be in, as long as it was after work and beer was involved.

gardener3

Quant Discussion Groups

February 28th, 2007, 4:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCOnline is fine, but a blackboard would be nice, and a bit of focus on a topic would be more productive.I think it's worth a try, and can help get it going, anyone else interested ?I think online would be more productive. You are more likely to get a toughtful response when someone has to write it down. Instead of a topic someone would nominate a paper for discussion. If there is any interest, people would post comments/questions. However without anyone moderating the discussion I can see some trolls ruining it for everyone (e.g. someone saying stochastic calculus is crap) I have seen good thoughtful discussions of papers on another forum: nuclearphynance.com. You can try your luck there.I'd be happy to give it a go here as well if there is interest.

TraderJoe

Quant Discussion Groups

February 28th, 2007, 10:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: gardener3QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCOnline is fine, but a blackboard would be nice, and a bit of focus on a topic would be more productive.I think it's worth a try, and can help get it going, anyone else interested ?I think online would be more productive. You are more likely to get a toughtful response when someone has to write it down. Instead of a topic someone would nominate a paper for discussion. If there is any interest, people would post comments/questions. However without anyone moderating the discussion I can see some trolls ruining it for everyone (e.g. someone saying stochastic calculus is crap) I have seen good thoughtful discussions of papers on another forum: nuclearphynance.com. You can try your luck there.Luck is right. They blend you if you dare challenge their opinions. What they forget is that opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has them.
Last edited by TraderJoe on February 27th, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

Quant Discussion Groups

March 1st, 2007, 1:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoe They blend you if you dare challenge their opinions.did you get blended, TJ ?

sk99

Quant Discussion Groups

March 1st, 2007, 7:18 pm

I've started a Meetup.com group @ http://financialeng.meetup.com/5/ .It's main purpose is to gather folks for face to face meetings in NYC area to setup a social network focussed on careers/schools/readings/problems/field discussions.We had our first meeting yesterday and it went pretty well. We are growing at a rate of 1 person / day aproximately.For discussion and information I still sell Wilmott forums as being THE place to go, but I also want to work with people face to face locally so that I can start networking to get in the field which is why I started the meetup group. (It's scope is of course larger than this) ;-)The group is open to newbies like myself all the way up to old fogies who have been doing it for years.We are discussing right now appropriate projects that would either be evolved or tiered so as newbies will not be boring the more experienced folks.I'd like to invite anyone to contribute/join/critique.
Last edited by sk99 on February 28th, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacemonkey

Quant Discussion Groups

March 1st, 2007, 7:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jfuquaHas anyone seen cases where quants and/or people interested in financial mathematics get together on a regular basis and work through a book or select a working paper or article and discuss it ? Of course I'm excluding people doing this as part of university course. At one time a few banks and derivative firms boasted of having in-house sessions like this but it sounds like most gave that up because they wanted everyone 'working' instead of learning. What I'm thinking of are like-minded people getting together at a public or university library, home or at a corporate office on a regular basis. My experience is [probably at least outside of NY and London] that there are not enough people located in an area [i.e. live in different suburbs that makes meetings difficult], the pressures to learn are not that great [i.e. you are paid to do one thing and not expected to move up], the job is considered a way to make money to live and without NY/London pressure it is easier just to 'settle-in' until being replaced by next 'crop'], they don't want to spend their time 'teaching' others not at their level [if they are math. don't want to spend time explaining what they know or if finance people explaining finance]---i.e. no payoff for them.I think this is great idea.

TraderJoe

Quant Discussion Groups

March 1st, 2007, 10:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoe They blend you if you dare challenge their opinions.did you get blended, TJ ?Let's just say I challenged quite a few arseholes (I mean opinions) over there

TraderJoe

Quant Discussion Groups

March 1st, 2007, 10:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCOnline is fine, but a blackboard would be nice, and a bit of focus on a topic would be more productive.I think it's worth a try, and can help get it going, anyone else interested ?NPA (No Pimps Allowed).

migalley

Quant Discussion Groups

March 2nd, 2007, 8:34 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeLet's just say I challenged quite a few arseholesThat's quite enough of that, TJ. We have no desire to know what you get up to in your spare time.

FirstQuantJob

Quant Discussion Groups

March 2nd, 2007, 10:34 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCOnline is fine, but a blackboard would be nice, and a bit of focus on a topic would be more productive.I think it's worth a try, and can help get it going, anyone else interested ?I'm very interested in this idea. I know that another poster has created an online site but this is completely different because it is located in NY with the idea of also meeting physically.As a new quant, I personally would probably benefit by hearing ideas about my work projects. These are not generally deep mathematical problems however. For example, I might need to write a report on asset classes, and might want feedback on which indices are good for tracking various asset classes.That's just me. Others might have deeper problems in option pricing for example.(The bloomberg help people don't seem to have this type of info.)FirstQuantJob

DominicConnor

Quant Discussion Groups

March 2nd, 2007, 12:55 pm

I guess this would be best done after work, say 6:30 to 7:30 followed by beer ?

KackToodles

Quant Discussion Groups

March 2nd, 2007, 2:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeNPA (No Pimps Allowed).does everyone dress in a suit and bring 5 copies of the resumes in glossy paper?