SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

airmenow
Topic Author

Ivy Applied Math Ph.D -> Derivative Trader ?

April 19th, 2007, 3:58 am

Hi, guys,Thanks for the time reading this post.I am in my finally year of Ph.D in Applied Math at an Ivy school in New York City, I hold MS.and B.S both in EE, more on statistical signal processing side. I wonder if I would like to find a derivative trader position or intership at some point, will a backgroud like mine fit that path?I know there are many opportunities around since I am here in NYC, the reason that I ask this is that I need some detailed advices on how to prepare for that path ? Say credit derivative, or mortgage-backed securities related trading positions ? Also should I target on big banks like M.S, G.S or hedge funds ? sorry I industry knowledge is little.More specifically, my Ph.D work is on the Stochastics PDEs models from applied math point of view, say how to set up the funtional setting ( the solution space and solution process bases), correlation and stability, and the numerics for both the forward the problem using the SPDEs as the model and the inverse problem with these SPDEs as constrains. These whole process involves heavy functional analysis at the analytical side and optimization and monte carlo at the numerical side. But seems not so directly related to those models used in qunatitative finance area, i.e B.S model, jump-diffusion model, or recent levy driven models. Some friends advise me that some quant position might fit my backgroud better than a trader position which I understand. What I wonder is should I:1. take more finance courese 2. or seek related internships insteadif I still wanna be a less-commodity like trader ?Really puzzled since the summer is comming and I need to proceed with a decision.Thanks guys.

airmenow
Topic Author

April 19th, 2007, 4:02 am

sorry I mis-clicked it multipule times. sorry for this.

KackToodles

April 19th, 2007, 4:49 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: airmenowsorry I mis-clicked it multipule times. sorry for this. better hope you don't misclick a few times when trading.

airmenow
Topic Author

April 19th, 2007, 4:55 am

that's true, hope all mistakes are learned before i trade ~

Gill

April 19th, 2007, 11:06 am

i guess you should start as a quant and move to trading after few years if you like it... it's not as easy to start as a trader with your background 'cause it's not clear what you can bring to the table rite away. it's just my opinion some other people may think differently

StephenLi

April 19th, 2007, 11:06 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: airmenowI am in my finally year of Ph.D in Applied Math at an Ivy school in New York City, I hold MS.and B.S both in EE, more on statistical signal processing side. I wonder if I would like to find a derivative trader position or intership at some point, will a backgroud like mine fit that path?q]Your background is very good, I am sure agent Dominic will be interested to talk to you.

ppauper

April 19th, 2007, 12:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: airmenowI am in my finally year of Ph.D in Applied Math at an Ivy school in New York Cityhmm, that narrows it down....how many ivys are there in NYC ?looking at the website, there's a couple of cuties, Michele Reilly and Elizabeth Robers.....please let you be one of them ! QuoteMore specifically, my Ph.D work is on the Stochastics PDEs models from applied math point of viewah, bo knows stochastics !

ppauper

April 19th, 2007, 12:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: StephenLiYour background is very good, I am sure agent Dominic will be interested to talk to you. dom =dcfc, a UK headhunter....does his reach extend to NYC ?

airmenow
Topic Author

April 19th, 2007, 5:06 pm

Gill, thanks for the advice, my friends advise me the same. In that aspect, how to compare quant position at IBs vs. HFs, which one could prepare me more for the trader path?thanks

airmenow
Topic Author

April 19th, 2007, 5:32 pm

I am wondering the same thing. Can one suggest some good HH/agent names ?

KackToodles

April 19th, 2007, 5:41 pm

wow! phd in applied math with courses in stochastics! Wall Street has been waiting so long for a shining star like you!

airmenow
Topic Author

April 19th, 2007, 6:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodleswow! phd in applied math with courses in stochastics! Wall Street has been waiting so long for a shining star like you!KackToodles, thanks for the encouragement, I am flattered. But are you saying a Ph.D topic intersecting PDE/Analysis, Stochastics and numerics will be a valuable background later on? For quant or for trader ?

airmenow
Topic Author

April 19th, 2007, 6:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: StephenLiQuoteOriginally posted by: airmenowI am in my finally year of Ph.D in Applied Math at an Ivy school in New York City, I hold MS.and B.S both in EE, more on statistical signal processing side. I wonder if I would like to find a derivative trader position or intership at some point, will a backgroud like mine fit that path?q]Your background is very good, I am sure agent Dominic will be interested to talk to you. Shot dom a email, nothing happened so far ~

jd1123

April 20th, 2007, 6:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: airmenowQuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodleswow! phd in applied math with courses in stochastics! Wall Street has been waiting so long for a shining star like you!KackToodles, thanks for the encouragement, I am flattered. But are you saying a Ph.D topic intersecting PDE/Analysis, Stochastics and numerics will be a valuable background later on? For quant or for trader ?He's being sarcastic.

airmenow
Topic Author

April 20th, 2007, 6:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jd1123QuoteOriginally posted by: airmenowQuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodleswow! phd in applied math with courses in stochastics! Wall Street has been waiting so long for a shining star like you!KackToodles, thanks for the encouragement, I am flattered. But are you saying a Ph.D topic intersecting PDE/Analysis, Stochastics and numerics will be a valuable background later on? For quant or for trader ?He's being sarcastic.Sorry, I am new here. But I don't see the point of being sarcastic. Does it mean the area is not good enough, or everyone is doing it now a days ?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On