SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

TraderJoe

Should I quit my Phd? Advise needed...

September 3rd, 2007, 8:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: playerFinish the PhDFor most people doing a PhD is 95% fustration 5% inspiration. As i said before to complete a PhD you go through hell before gonig to heaven. Put your head down and get it done.toughThat's enough to make anyone want to drop out .

miretta

September 3rd, 2007, 11:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: playerQuotesupervisors are there also to motivate usFunniest thing I've heard for a long time!!!Well, then maybe I'm just a lucky phd student... ;-)

sebskyman

September 4th, 2007, 7:07 am

No, no you are not the only one Ceres629My PhD was a nightmare, my supervisor pushed so hard to get papers that I lost half of my hair and the worse : my english level is really bad ( not my mother tongue) so writting was like going to hell.During the first year I had to take english courses (9hours / week) and manage my PhD. After that my best friends working in IB told me that Finance is going to be a kindergarten.You have to know that if you quit it will stay in the academic record of your PhD supervisor, so it is on his/her own interest to keep you happy and in his/her lab.I have seen students dropping their PhDs but it was during the first year, never at the end of the second or third year.You are so close to the end ... Don't drop it !
Last edited by sebskyman on September 3rd, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceres629
Topic Author

September 5th, 2007, 9:26 am

Thanks for the encouragement, this frustration isn't unique it seems, I suppose a phd wouldn't be worth its salt if it was a walk in the park, I will stick it out to the end. :wine

quantmeh

September 5th, 2007, 12:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Ceres629Thanks for the encouragement, this frustration isn't unique it seems, I suppose a phd wouldn't be worth its salt if it was a walk in the park, I will stick it out to the end. :wine it doesnt mean that u shouldnt change ur advisor. imho, adviser is 90% od your PhD. if he's "wrong", u have to change him.

Polysena

September 5th, 2007, 5:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: sebskymanNo, no you are not the only one Ceres629My PhD was a nightmare, my supervisor pushed so hard to get papers that I lost half of my hair and the worse : my english level is really bad ( not my mother tongue) so writting was like going to hell.During the first year I had to take english courses (9hours / week) and manage my PhD. After that my best friends working in IB told me that Finance is going to be a kindergarten.You have to know that if you quit it will stay in the academic record of your PhD supervisor, so it is on his/her own interest to keep you happy and in his/her lab.NOT IN ALL COUNTRIES!!! only in civilized countries, where they realized that without incentives on that part of the deal- too many student would be stranded. The point is:you might have problems because your supervisor doesn't supervise (some mean people would say if you are really good you can do without a supervisor...) or because this isn't the domain where you are creative... difficult to test that sometimes.. or else because you aren't perseverant enough... difficult problem...Sometimes changing supervisor or changing field & supervisor is the courageous decision - not to pursueSometimes dropping it all together is also the courageous decision.. Why should writing a phd be a nightmare? why should you loose all your hair.. isn't this a too high price to pay?I have seen students dropping their PhDs but it was during the first year, never at the end of the second or third year.You are so close to the end ... Don't drop it !

bogracer

September 6th, 2007, 7:44 am

now that you have decided to stick it out, let's muddy the waters. there is something to be said for perseverence and patience, and the ability to manage a long term project to the end despite setbacks and frustration.there is also something to be said for cutting your losses early, and acting swiftly/decisively. different companies, different roles, and different people are going to value the above differently.

DominicConnor

September 6th, 2007, 9:17 am

bogracer is right, a common trading proverb is "the first loss is the cheapest", so one might present chucking the PhD as loss management.But the problem is getting to present it, people will see it on your CV, and in most cases draw a conclusion without any further input from you.

Ceres629
Topic Author

September 6th, 2007, 10:17 am

To be honest the time to quit would have been a year ago when i first had doubts about staying in academia but at that time i wasn't aware of any jobs out side of academia that I wanted to do. A bit of web searching for possible jobs for physics grads led me to these forums and I started reading about this 'quant finance' thing and it seemed a viable route for me to take. A year on (present), after extensive research into the field i'm 100% certain i at least want to at least start out with a career in it, but leaving a phd after 2 years of work is totally different from leaving it after 1 year. the cheaper loss would have been to quit at that time...if i could make a time machine i would go back in time and make a different decision... but then if i could make a time machine i would be Ceres629 PhD....

Polysena

September 6th, 2007, 7:16 pm

I still believe that two years is a drop in the sea of your life.. you are sure you want to change? Be optimistic, light-hearted, go for it.. there will always be one employer to whom you will be the person (out of the spanning) that he is looking for, I am confident you will be able to explain your change of academic path once you get a job offer later, and if they don't choose you because of that.. you would have to conclude that you'd better not have been working for that bunch of people.. or that that job perhaps was not suited to you. You'll apply for other jobs and at the end of the day you fing something okay. Do not worry!Bleak conformism is not all in life- it is good for some but not for all.. Enjoyment, hope, studying and doing research with pleasure is important- no money will compensate you for being bored or unhappy... or or or...? Or if I am wrong ignore my post!!!The principles of pleasure are important. You only live once...Can you really not afford that?If you aren't inspired no amount of perspiration or perseverance will make you happy... you have shown already that you aren't a flimsy person. Do not regret your two years you have certainly learned a lot more in physics, you have learned about your tastes and about yourself.. that is not lost time!regards
Last edited by Polysena on September 5th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

September 6th, 2007, 9:26 pm

I don't believe Mr Bill Gates ever regretted dropping out of his post-grad progrmme - admittedly it was an MBA and not a PhD.Do what is right for you, opportunity cost and all that.

cryptic26

September 6th, 2007, 10:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Ceres629I'm currently near the end of my second year in a physics phd in the UK, and to be honest, it is not going very well at all. It has been a frustrating two years, in particular this last year where I became particularly interested in trading roles in finance and decided a career in science was not for me, I've lost all interest in continuing this phd and long to just get some work experience or an internship in a trading enviroment. I have several times considered quitting but decided against it each time and dedicated huge amounts of time to finish my phd and get it out of the way, but it is clear that a phd really is just an exercise in frustration if you no longer have any interest in what it is you are doing... I continued straight on to the phd after my undergrad, since i was not sure what i wanted to do at the time, and it seems that was a big mistake.I start working part time (will sign the contract next week) for quite a large well known ftse250 company (not banking job), and am currently at crossroads as to where i should go from here. I've considered doing a quantitative finance MSc degree, however my finances don't really make this an easy option and the decision would have to be made very soon.I'm currently hoping that getting a bit of breathing space from the phd and doing something different will bring about some changes in my mindset, but i feel like i'm just wasting time doing something that won't have much if any direct relevance to my future plans and as a result i find it hard to justify putting all this time into doing this when i could be doing things that would better prepare me for a trading job.I have a undergrad MPhys degree, a strong interest in finance and trading, and spend a lot of my free time going through many texts, following financial news, and trading spot fx, and am considering just applying for some junior trading roles or internships, and if things go well enough just leave the phd behind, or just take the MPhil route and refocus my efforts on getting a trading job. I'm sure many posters here are part of the hiring process for their respective employers, just how negative does it look for a candidate to quit a science phd to pursue a finance job?So should I:Finish phd, go the mphil route or just quit altogetherTake the part time job or not.Just go for a trading role with my undergrad physics degree.Get an MSc in a quant finance related disciplineSo many options, and i'm kind of overwhelmed as to the pros and cons of each one as it regards to a career in trading so I would be very grateful for any advise or suggestions you can offer.Most likely you already received a ton of advice and mine shall be redundant. But my 2 cents, anyways:If you are quiting because you are not doing well then doing mphil is not going to work out. If you are not doing well because you lost interest then it is a slightly different story [vs. not doing well because you need additional background/prep. to meet the course requirements than rest of your classmates]. If it is the second case, then just quit and jump into finance. If it is the first of the above two, then at least finish the Mphil. This will even help you get into MFE programs (they are fairly competitive). Besides when you look back on your 2 years, you will feel you got something out of it as compared to nothing. And that is a better feeling.I would personally recommend in favor of Mphil / Phd (more in quant finance). If your university has a Phd program then you go for that one instead after doing your MPhil. A sense of accomplishment is always good. You won't need to do another MFE and you will learn a lot in the Phd program. My last recommendation would be to quit it all and go for job in finance. Trust me, that quiting feeling shalll haunt you many nights. So, use it only as a very last option
Last edited by cryptic26 on September 6th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantmeh

September 7th, 2007, 4:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeI don't believe Mr Bill Gates ever regretted dropping out of his post-grad progrmme - admittedly it was an MBA and not a PhD.S Brin from Google quit his PhD too. I bet for every Brin and Gates there's 1000 quitters who regret their decisions to quit

bogracer

September 10th, 2007, 4:18 pm

The question, then, is not "quit or not to quit". The real question is: am I Sergey Brin or Bill Gates?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On