SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

sparkyz
Topic Author

UCL Good for a masters?

December 9th, 2007, 2:37 pm

Hi guys, Im thinking of taking a masters at UCL in 08 as a pre cursor to moving into a quant position. This leads me to two questions: - Firstly, im currently 25, would finish this masters by the time im 27- will i be perceived as too old to be a quant?- Secondly, how is UCL perceived as a masters destination for prospective quants?Thanks in advance.

DominicConnor

UCL Good for a masters?

December 9th, 2007, 2:41 pm

UCL is seen as a good place, though it does depend rather on which masters you are doing.Given that many quants enter work after PhD, 27 is not very old at all.

kkna9877

UCL Good for a masters?

December 10th, 2007, 8:59 am

King's is probably better, there is very little finance in the MSc in Mathematical Modelling at UCL. Also Kings is set up to teach part-timers (i.e. all lectures are in the evening). Alternatively Birkbeck is an option

arsenalboi

UCL Good for a masters?

December 10th, 2007, 11:11 am

Hi,I did my masters at UCL. There is a severe lack of finance lecturers there and ultimately we had a situation where there were only 2 finance related thesis avaliable with over 10 students wanting to do them.Also there are only 2 financial mathematics courses, but there are other courses on stochastics, perturbation methods, C++, numerical analysis which are quite good.The course is really tough, and is really mathematical. Even the finance courses are pretty much all mathematics. You'll probably find Kings much easier, as I've seen the lecture notes there.

player

UCL Good for a masters?

December 10th, 2007, 3:41 pm

YOU HAVE THE NOTES YOU USED AT UCL?

Topologist

UCL Good for a masters?

December 10th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Arsenalboi: sorry about M'broro over the weekend

sparkyz
Topic Author

UCL Good for a masters?

December 10th, 2007, 7:41 pm

The course i was thinking specifically was the MSc in Intelligent Systems.... does this have any kudos in the quant world? Does anyone know how competetive the admissions are on that and the Mathematical Modelling MSc?Thanks
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On