SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

subprime
Topic Author

Internship v Full Time (puzzling!)

February 24th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Hello everyone, I am an intnl student with a nice little dilemma on my hands, and would greatly appreciate any help. My options are,(1). Full time offer at a smaller firm.(2). Internship offer at a BB investment bank, which involves work that i always wanted to do, offers me a position in line with my qualifications and pays (if i get a full time offer at the end of the internship) almost double that of (1).If i had full time offers from both places i would have NO hesitation choosing (2). But, right now (1) seems more secure and involves less risk. On the other hand the upside to (2) is really high.What should i choose? Also, at (2) the conversion rate from an intern to Full time in the past has been really high. Do i take the risk?Thanks.

ZmeiGorynych

February 24th, 2008, 5:09 pm

I'd say (2) of course. Why on earth not? Even if you don't get the full-time position, you'll have experience in that line of business, increasing your chances of a full-time offer elsewhere after that.

PDiCarterY

February 24th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Of course #2, no doubt about it. You will receive a full time offer from the BB if you do well over the summer (this has a high probability - most of them do get offers if they don't screw up badly). Plus, you don't want to have regrets later down the road if you skipped this opportunity that offers the work you want to do. It really has a very minimal risk. Finally, if you can get all these offers, you should be able to get something once you graduate even if you don't have the full time offer from the BB.Also, who would skip a BB offer that provides the work one wants to do over a smaller firm?

AndyNguyen

February 24th, 2008, 5:49 pm

why is this even a question ? (2) is a no brainer.If you don't want to take risk for potential reward, then finance is not the right line of work.

subprime
Topic Author

October 8th, 2008, 1:13 am

I wanted to thank people who advised me to take the risk and go for the internship, which is what i did. I had a great time working in the summer and got my full time offer too!

jomni

October 8th, 2008, 2:31 am

So the IB is still alive.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On