SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Recruitor
Topic Author

New project : being a headhunter

June 27th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Hi everyone,As I’ve been working in finance for quite a long time (in Quant, Risk, Hedge Funds Management, IT,…);As I want to have my own company;As I’ve been involved in many recruitments in my companies;As I’ve met a lot of bad head-hunters;For all theses reasons, I’m certainly going to set up a small company here in London and acting as a head-hunter. Yes, my first objective is to have a small business and to keep my job and having a few more income hopefully...So I’ve many questions for my project! Let’s debate!- What are the main qualities of a good head-hunter?- What do bad head-hunters do to be bad ? (I mean what a head-hunter mustn’t do?)- A lot of head-hunters told me “it’s very difficult to find a candidate, it’s easier to find a recruiter”, I was always surprised and amazed, is that true?- I can use my network to find either candidates or recruiters, but what are there other ways?- Is that really a difficult job?That’s it for the moment, let’s discuss,Thanks you for your contributions.Regards.Recruitor
Last edited by Recruitor on June 26th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveangel

June 27th, 2008, 12:38 pm

I think headhunters fail because they treat their candidates like cr*p. perhaps its not intentional but simply a fact of life - HHs are trying to make a living just like everyone else. But a few honest remarks are better than blatant lies. if the candidate is not one they can market now, they just dump her. Second, HHs lie a lot - they overemphasise their rather tenuous relationships with hiring managers, they advertise jobs that don't exist and just plain bad. they lie about the company that is offering a job, they lie about prospects etc. third, you should underpromise and overdeliver - in my career I have dealt with many headhunters and recruiters. but I have never dealt with the same one twice. I don't think this is a coincidence.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Recruitor
Topic Author

June 27th, 2008, 1:37 pm

What a pessimistic picture...But that's also why I think with a lot more integrity, if the target is to make only a few recrutments but with quality it can be done easily.Candidates would be pleased to work with a HH with a lot of integrity. But does recruiters really matters? For them is this the result the most important instead of the way to achieve this result?

rmax

June 27th, 2008, 2:02 pm

The problem with your model there is simple economics. Most HH do not need to get return business from the candidate they placed. OK the odd recommendation might be useful but that is it. They do however have a vested interest in keeping the client happy and making cash. This is fine as long as when you are being hired you know where you are in the deal. It does not figure on a HH plans to keep you happy longer than getting you stick at the job until the cash has settled.

Recruitor
Topic Author

June 27th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Thanks, RMax.However I couldn't point the real problem in what you're saying...

ppauper

June 27th, 2008, 2:41 pm

>>Yes, my first objective is to have a small business and to keep my job and having a few more income hopefully...perhaps place people where you yourself work. Curious to see if your employer would pay the commission

Recruitor
Topic Author

June 27th, 2008, 2:50 pm

I hesitated to ask the question...But, it would be quite unethical to place some candidates in my company with this hudge "inside" information without telling I'm the owner of the headhunting company. I can't blame bad head hunters if i don't intend to have some integrity myself!We have an employee referal scheme, so I can do it personally but I won't do it through my head hunting company, even if I'll had a partner (not working in the same company) who could take care of it: I'm still involved in the head hunting company even if I don't do myself the recruitment.

TraderJoe

June 27th, 2008, 3:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: RecruitorThanks, RMax.However I couldn't point the real problem in what you're saying...So, you want us to help you set up your business?

Recruitor
Topic Author

June 27th, 2008, 3:16 pm

No, I know how to set up formally a business...I'm trying to point, by chatting, how should be the perfect head-hunter in order to apply it when I'll begin.
Last edited by Recruitor on June 26th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

June 27th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Ahhh, the perfect headhunter...How about.... the only good headhunter is a dead headhunter ? .
Last edited by TraderJoe on June 26th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recruitor
Topic Author

June 27th, 2008, 3:26 pm

nice word ;-)

TraderJoe

June 27th, 2008, 3:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Recruitornice word ;-)You're very welcome

BrightDay

June 27th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Good luck Recruiter with your new adventure...The funny thing is that with the economic crisys looming it doesn't seem that there are many jobs going on, and it seems to me that many of the people who are loosing their jobs are now becoming either consultants or recruiters... it may become quite a competitive pond...

DominicConnor

June 27th, 2008, 7:45 pm

I'd be interested in what your boss thinks of you HHing whilst still on his payroll ?But to answer your questions:- What are the main qualities of a good head-hunter?To be able to shout jokes on fat tailed distributions in a French bar after drinking two bottles of wine and a whiskey.A thick skin.Ability to talk to people who've dealt with the bad HHs and thus think you're a cross between George Bush and a used care salesman.- What do bad head-hunters do to be bad ? (I mean what a head-hunter mustn’t do?)Lie. Lie more. Lie so much that the fact that they don't know what they're talking about is bollocks.Send CVs without the permission of the candidate.Lie.- A lot of head-hunters told me “it’s very difficult to find a candidate, it’s easier to find a recruiter”, I was always surprised and amazed, is that true?Finding the right candidate is often hard.- I can use my network to find either candidates or recruiters, but what are there other ways?Yes.- Is that really a difficult job?I do it, so how hard can it be ?

Recruitor
Topic Author

June 29th, 2008, 9:59 am

Dominic, of course my personal business will be done on my spare time, not with my job time and tools. If so, it would be understandable if my boss disegreed!But thank you for your comments.I received a lot of CV from headhunters (cause I'm a team manager so I hire) and when I see the price (about 30% in average), I'm driving crazy. If I decreased the price (lol: LowCost HeadHunting) is that a good advantage or company will pay watherver it costs for the good candidate?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On