SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tu160
Topic Author

the next big thing

September 10th, 2008, 1:51 am

Those days when credit, structured products, commodities and enhanced indexes are almost done....I would like to ask your qualified opinion: what is the next big thing?Algo is quite popular but it became extremely crowded and no doubt all those dark pools will be pure IT pretty soon. What is next???

LSEstat

the next big thing

September 10th, 2008, 6:57 am

prostitution

yuryr

the next big thing

September 10th, 2008, 10:55 am

Just think how the world might change once artificial limbs of all sorts are out (I mean, eyes, ears, hearts, minds). The whole idea of savings will break...

DSPGuy

the next big thing

September 10th, 2008, 2:14 pm

Plastics.

tu160
Topic Author

the next big thing

September 10th, 2008, 2:17 pm

you sound like da real "big picture view" guy. Actually last Fukuyama ("Posthuman future") is really nice reading I mean 1) so called quant finance 2) ~2yr timescale

tu160
Topic Author

the next big thing

September 10th, 2008, 2:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: LSEstatprostitutionwhat kind of money LSE grad is able to earn this way? ))

Cuchulainn

the next big thing

September 10th, 2008, 2:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DSPGuyPlastics.Plastics

quantmeh

the next big thing

September 10th, 2008, 4:23 pm

energy will be the big thing

penguina

the next big thing

September 10th, 2008, 5:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tu160you sound like da real "big picture view" guy. Actually last Fukuyama ("Posthuman future") is really nice reading I mean 1) so called quant finance 2) ~2yr timescaleHas he now discarded the ridiculous "end of history" rubbish?

tu160
Topic Author

the next big thing

September 10th, 2008, 6:04 pm

QuoteHas he now discarded the ridiculous "end of history" rubbish?Honestly speaking I do not follow his activity in detail As far as I understand it was discarded partially. Wars etc will last for a while, but "liberal democracy" is still considered as the only possible final outcome."Posthuman" book is quite orthogonal to the "end of history". However there is a discussion about "natural human rights" in the context of using genetic engineering advances for human enhancement.
Last edited by tu160 on September 9th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiskCapital

the next big thing

September 11th, 2008, 6:38 am

Stat Abr

gc

the next big thing

September 11th, 2008, 7:04 am

Water as a commodity and water derivatives..

ChicagoGuy

the next big thing

September 11th, 2008, 12:44 pm

QuoteThose days when credit, structured products, commodities and enhanced indexes are almost done....I think the contrary....credit and structured products are going to become more pupular in the future. Why is everyone thinking that these are going to die off just because we had this crisis? Pepople are going to forget about all this in a couple of years and start trading them again BAU, with a bit more caution. Hey people thought that prostitution was going to die off after AIDs spread in the US and Europe but it hasnt become a bit less popular....So what about all those structured credit products??? High risk, high reward; just like prostitution.

Siberian

the next big thing

September 11th, 2008, 2:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ChicagoGuyQuoteThose days when credit, structured products, commodities and enhanced indexes are almost done....I think the contrary....credit and structured products are going to become more pupular in the future. Why is everyone thinking that these are going to die off just because we had this crisis? Pepople are going to forget about all this in a couple of years and start trading them again BAU, with a bit more caution. Hey people thought that prostitution was going to die off after AIDs spread in the US and Europe but it hasnt become a bit less popular....So what about all those structured credit products??? High risk, high reward; just like prostitution.agree with CG, people did not stop trading tech stocks after the crash, so...what do you guys think about farmable land as a commodity?

TraderJoe

the next big thing

September 11th, 2008, 2:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: SiberianQuoteOriginally posted by: ChicagoGuyQuoteThose days when credit, structured products, commodities and enhanced indexes are almost done....I think the contrary....credit and structured products are going to become more pupular in the future. Why is everyone thinking that these are going to die off just because we had this crisis? Pepople are going to forget about all this in a couple of years and start trading them again BAU, with a bit more caution. Hey people thought that prostitution was going to die off after AIDs spread in the US and Europe but it hasnt become a bit less popular....So what about all those structured credit products??? High risk, high reward; just like prostitution.agree with CG, people did not stop trading tech stocks after the crash, so...what do you guys think about farmable land as a commodity?Definitely. The Chinese want it, and see my thread on rainforest bonds.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On