SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

TraderJoe
Topic Author

It's taking awhile to sink in...

September 15th, 2008, 1:01 pm

The industry's changed. The market's flooded with MFE's, the whole sector will shrink. The bubble's burst. There is no bandwagon left to jump on. It's after the goldrush, just like in 2000 for tech industry.Discuss.

scmjsd

September 15th, 2008, 1:09 pm

what about risk management? surely that will grow as a result of all this.if you want to be pessimistic then consider that the whole anglo-saxon world is in decline. better to learn madarin or urdu and emigrate!

ronwise

September 15th, 2008, 1:09 pm

time to go to science

TraderJoe
Topic Author

September 15th, 2008, 1:13 pm

Regulation will grow tighter, and there is already more than enough "quants" to transfer into risk management. We're talking about a shrinking market here, not a growing one anymore - just be realistic.Also, I am not so pessimistic that I have to learn urdu ???!!!! Thanks for the offer! You'll probably be learning English for awhile yet.

scmjsd

September 15th, 2008, 1:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeRegulation will grow tighter, and there is already more than enough "quants" to transfer into risk management. We're talking about a shrinking market here, not a growing one anymore - just be realistic.Also, I am not so pessimistic that I have to learn urdu ???!!!! Thanks for the offer! You'll probably be learning English for awhile yet.you're impressively rude, do you already work in finance? what's your job?

TraderJoe
Topic Author

September 15th, 2008, 1:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ronwisetime to go to scienceYup! Alt energy is the next "bandwagon" (and all in a good cause too)!

TraderJoe
Topic Author

September 15th, 2008, 1:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: scmjsdQuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeRegulation will grow tighter, and there is already more than enough "quants" to transfer into risk management. We're talking about a shrinking market here, not a growing one anymore - just be realistic.Also, I am not so pessimistic that I have to learn urdu ???!!!! Thanks for the offer! You'll probably be learning English for awhile yet.you're impressively rudeNope, just being realistic. Sorry if you don't like it.

twofish

September 15th, 2008, 1:54 pm

Quote It's after the goldrush, just like in 2000 for tech industry.And we all know that the internet and the web was a passing fad that no one makes money from today..... Not.....

TraderJoe
Topic Author

September 15th, 2008, 2:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: twofishQuote It's after the goldrush, just like in 2000 for tech industry.And we all know that the internet and the web was a passing fad that no one makes money from today..... Not.....Several things happened after the dotcom bust including:1. Reality set in - there was no longer a get rich overnight on unrealistic dreams sentiment - that has gone forever.2. The number of people thinking it was a good idea to get into this business dropped, dramatically, so that only those who actually were good at networking technologies stayed.3. Thousands of companies went bust and many lost 90% + of their share valueShine on twofish ! Edit: And $2trillion was wiped off the global economy.You like irrational exuberance (naked greed?) It would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.
Last edited by TraderJoe on September 14th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArthurDent

September 15th, 2008, 2:44 pm

This is what happened to telecom after the dotcom bust - Bell Labs Holmdel. In a picture -

Yura

September 15th, 2008, 3:09 pm

It seems like TJ is really nervous this morning I mean afternoon as it is afternoon in London...

TraderJoe
Topic Author

September 15th, 2008, 3:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: YuraIt seems like TJ is really nervous this morning I'm waiting to see if my lecture has gone into Chapter 11 .
Last edited by TraderJoe on September 14th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yura

September 15th, 2008, 4:11 pm

ha-ha Well... I hope you guy will skip that chapter. I don't think everyone has to learn it

tu160

September 15th, 2008, 4:38 pm

Last edited by tu160 on December 9th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twofish

September 15th, 2008, 5:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoe1. Reality set in - there was no longer a get rich overnight on unrealistic dreams sentiment - that has gone forever.Naaaahhhh.... It's only gone for a decade. People have short memories. In another five to eight years then there will be a bubble over something else. Alternative energy? Nanotechnology? Whatever. I've already seen three boom-bust cycles in my life and I don't think that this will be the last.Quote2. The number of people thinking it was a good idea to get into this business dropped, dramatically, so that only those who actually were good at networking technologies stayed.On the other hand the total number of people employed by something that has to do with the internet or the web is probably far higher now than in 2001. Also a lot of the web-based jobs have nothing to do with networks or hardware. There are people that make a living doing graphic art design or customer support for online companies.Quote3. Thousands of companies went bust and many lost 90% + of their share valueAnd the few that survive did well once the competition was toast.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On