SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Lubbermuchhio

It's taking awhile to sink in...

September 16th, 2008, 4:17 am

Mandarin- agreed, but why Urdu? Do you want to work in Pakistan? I bet you wouldn't want toIndia is seeing a rise in the number of people from the Anglo-Saxon world coming here to gain better experience about how business is carried on and trust me, India is not so narrow-minded that you will have to learn urdu like you have to in Pakistan- all accents of English- American, British, Australian- work perfectly fine here !
Last edited by Lubbermuchhio on September 15th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KackToodles

September 16th, 2008, 5:23 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeMost of Lehman's 4,500 London employees are likely to lose their jobs after PricewaterhouseCoopers was called in to wind down the bank in Europe. PricewaddahouseBloopers? Revenge of the back office bookkeepers!!

KackToodles

September 16th, 2008, 5:25 am

The article says "staff went home with boxes carrying their possessions." OK -- fess up, who took extra pens and staplers?!

LSEstat

September 16th, 2008, 6:04 am

merrill should go under , i hate the bankers there, they should die

AbhiJ

September 16th, 2008, 8:40 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: YuraQuoteOriginally posted by: migalleyQuoteOriginally posted by: YuraIt seems like TJ is really nervous this morning I mean afternoon as it is afternoon in London...It looks like his pipe-dream of becoming a quant is well and truly over. He must realise by now that he will always be a B.O.M.What do you mean by B.O.M.? It can mean numerous things among which are Book of Mormons, Back on the Market, Branch Office Manager, Bank of Maharashtra.... which one?For more choices see http://www.acronymfinder.com/BOM.htmlM is for Monkey the rest you can guess.

scmjsd

September 16th, 2008, 9:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: LubbermuchhioMandarin- agreed, but why Urdu? Do you want to work in Pakistan? I bet you wouldn't want toIndia is seeing a rise in the number of people from the Anglo-Saxon world coming here to gain better experience about how business is carried on and trust me, India is not so narrow-minded that you will have to learn urdu like you have to in Pakistan- all accents of English- American, British, Australian- work perfectly fine here !Urdu because in my ignorant British way i thought it was one of the main indian langauges. i understand though that there are a huge number of indian languages and so probably there isn't a single one like mandarin you could learn and assist yourself in getting a job. so for india, english is best? i read somewhere that indian employers in the financial services are very discriminatory? i read that they even hate to recruit western born Indians (uk of indian descent) let alone an ethnic brit like me? i think i read it in the evening standard business section about a month ago.

Lubbermuchhio

September 16th, 2008, 9:45 am

If you think urdu is one of the main Indian languages, then I am really sorry to say, you know nothing of India despite the Brits having ruled India for a good 190 years.HINDI is the national language and is spoken by a majority of the people in India (mainly most northern provinces). This is because Urdu is a language that is a cross breed of Persian and Hindi and spoken only by Muslims in their day to day usage. Hindus, who form close to 90% of India's population don't speak urdu. True, that there are many regional languages but the fact is that Hindi is understood by one and all (barring 4 states in the Southern India).Urdu is the national language of Pakistan.....though there are Muslims in India who speak urdu, very few speak urdu in its chaste form and only use some urdu words interspersed with Hindi.So if in India, learn HINDI- not Urdu and yes.....I have seen many Brits speak it in a way that is easily understood by us- not at all difficult.As far as working in financial services here is concerned, no one prevents you from working as an analyst and performing valuations or working for consultants...just that when it comes to day trading, you may lose out on the language part, which is why people may not hire you.Also, when it comes to recruiting western born Indians, I have personally not seen any such case of them being discriminated against at all if they know Hindi well and have good communication skills.
Last edited by Lubbermuchhio on September 15th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DominicConnor

September 16th, 2008, 11:54 am

Depends a lot on your view of what is meant by "main" doesn't it ?Certainly I know a lot of Indians who list Urdu as one of their languages.In financial services I observe no discrimination exercised by Indians, and I think I'd be able to spot it if it was a major issue.Of course I'm not so naive to believe it doesn't happen.The only time I encountered it, was in a different industry, and the person I caught doing it suffered a lot. At length. He really didn't enjoy it one little bit. Must say I find Lubbermuchhio's idea of learning Hindi of low marginal utility. Hindi is radically different from European languages, and a high % of Indians you'd actually want to speak to understands English. If you need Hindi, hire someone who speaks it natively.

twofish

September 16th, 2008, 12:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeNo they haven't. MSFT share price has been flat since the tech crash at the end of 2000. And GOOG has dropped 50% over the last year. Do your homework.Google is far above it's IPO value. As far as Microsoft, the share price is constant because they issue regular dividends. They literally are making so much money that they have no idea what to do with it.QuoteTwophish is still dancing .Not dancing, there are too many people hurting for me to be happy. However, I did see what was coming ahead of time (reading history helps you with this), and I made a few decisions a while back, which right now seem to be correct ones.

twofish

September 16th, 2008, 12:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorMust say I find Lubbermuchhio's idea of learning Hindi of low marginal utility. Hindi is radically different from European languages, and a high % of Indians you'd actually want to speak to understands English. If you need Hindi, hire someone who speaks it natively.Also learning conversational Mandarin is not terribly useful as far as conversation goes since pretty much anyone you need to talk to in industry knows English. If you really want to do deep business relations, you need to speak dialect, which is difficult to learn since there are no schools and instructional materials for most of them (which is why they are useful for social bonding). However where learning Mandarin becomes really useful is in reading written documents. There are for example no good books or commentaries on Chinese securities law written in English, so if you really want to learn the deep details of the difficulties of creating special purpose vehicles without a concept of equitable ownership and follow the latest blow-by-blow accounts of the anti-monopoly law, you have to learn to read Chinese.

quantmeh

September 16th, 2008, 12:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: LubbermuchhioHINDI is the national language and is spoken by a majority of the people in India (mainly most northern provinces). i was under impression that in bangalor ppl on streets dont speak hindi. thry all spoke local language called kannata.

twofish

September 16th, 2008, 12:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: LubbermuchhioAlso, when it comes to recruiting western born Indians, I have personally not seen any such case of them being discriminated against at all if they know Hindi well and have good communication skills.In the case of Chinese, the term is for returnees is "hai gui" (sea turtles) which is a very clever pun. The problem right now in moving to the China market is 1) you are competing against thousands of laid off Wall Street Chinese people with better language skills and 2) the reputation of Wall Street is not terribly high in China right now. A year and a half ago, you could go to the Chinese government and say "we want to make the Chinese economy work like the American economy" and this was the main rationale behind the creation of the China Investment Corporation and the purchases bits of Blackstone and Morgan Stanley. That door is shut now.I do think that Chinese finance has a very bright future, but if you want to work in that you have to think five to ten years ahead. If you want a job now or in the next year, you are going to run into the same supply/demand problems as in the United States. The really big opportunity is that now the the American economic model looks bad, there is a huge demand for some "so now what do we do" thinking. However the same is true with the United States.

econphd

September 16th, 2008, 2:26 pm

They do speak Kannada in Bangalore, but you can get on with Hindi equally well. Virtually everyone in the city speaks and understands some Hindi.

Firstdivision

September 16th, 2008, 6:25 pm

Well the current bust is not keeping me from getting my FE degree next year. I know that I will obtain a good education, and if all else fails with no "bandwagon" to jump on, I can just be a corporate analyst. As someone else pointed out there will be other bubbles and busts. Gotta love the bears that come out after a bust, remember studying 1987? Seems after a bust is when we have actual real growth, so I look forward to tomorrow and the day after.

ronwise

September 16th, 2008, 6:26 pm

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/24702588-840f ... 58.html"In the European repo market, some banks were only accepting the highest quality collateral – German bunds – in exchange for cash. They were refusing to accept bonds of nations such as Italy and Greece, while some were said to be refusing to accept UK gilts."----------shit is coming...
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On