SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

stali

It's taking awhile to sink in...

September 16th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Though most here dont care... I would still like to clarify the Urdu/Hindi thing.1. Spoken Urdu is basically Hindi with lots of Persian and some Arabic words.2. The popular dialect of Hindi spoken in India also contains a lot of Persian words (though not as much as urdu). It is more like Hindustani a mix of pure Hindi and pure Urdu.3. People in South India dont (and usually dont like to) speak Hindi. They speak other languages like Kannada, Tamil etc.

Lubbermuchhio

It's taking awhile to sink in...

September 17th, 2008, 5:45 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorDepends a lot on your view of what is meant by "main" doesn't it ?Certainly I know a lot of Indians who list Urdu as one of their languages.In financial services I observe no discrimination exercised by Indians, and I think I'd be able to spot it if it was a major issue.Of course I'm not so naive to believe it doesn't happen.The only time I encountered it, was in a different industry, and the person I caught doing it suffered a lot. At length. He really didn't enjoy it one little bit. Must say I find Lubbermuchhio's idea of learning Hindi of low marginal utility. Hindi is radically different from European languages, and a high % of Indians you'd actually want to speak to understands English. If you need Hindi, hire someone who speaks it natively.I think I am being misunderstood here...I said very clearly in first place that English in all its accents- British, American, Australian- works very fine in India....however, if at all you have to learn any Indian language, then Hindi would be utmost useful and certainly more useful than learning Urdu.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On