SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Lubbermuchhio
Topic Author

Is 29/30 Too Late for an MSc?

September 17th, 2008, 9:13 am

Thinking of getting into LSE/Warwick/Cass for an MSc (Finance/Investment)Got decent work ex in an Ibank and now want to work and stay in the UK.Would an MSc at 29/30 age be inappropriate?

albertmills

September 17th, 2008, 9:46 am

If you search these forums, it seems a lot of people would say it's not too late age wise. I feel that the lack of jobs due to the financial crisis, coupled with the fact that they will be lower paying, both because they will involve things like regulations, rather than profit creation, and because of the increased competition both from the people who got laid off and from the increase in MFE/MSc programs does not make the tuition and income lost worthwhile. Someday it may be worthwhile (pre-August 2007 scenario) again, but that day seems to be far off (5 years, more, anyones guess?) Frankly, I'm really surprised to see how many people are still interested in these programs, do they have no other opportunities? If this doesn't cause people to lose interest what will. On the other hand if you're already in finance, and have no other experience, maybe there are no better alternatives than to prepare yourself as well as possible and hope for the best.
Last edited by albertmills on September 16th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lubbermuchhio
Topic Author

September 17th, 2008, 10:39 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: albertmillsOn the other hand if you're already in finance, and have no other experience, maybe there are no better alternatives than to prepare yourself as well as possible and hope for the best.That is precisely the problem.....I have few alternatives left......don't know what to do if I don't do an MSc now....do FRM or someother course and wait for a year to do an MSc?

DominicConnor

September 17th, 2008, 11:18 am

29/30 is not too old, though it helps a lot if the extra couple of years has been put to good use. The average age of people going into this line of work is higher than you might think because a lot of people enter after a PhD.Have you looked at doing the CQF ?

phil451

September 17th, 2008, 11:34 am

I wouldn't worry I'm 45 and doing an MFE. Mind you i plan to live forever.Incidentally, although things look pretty bleak at the moment i've worked in the City through a number of financial meltowns [Black Monday (1987), Black Wednesday (1992), although that was a largely UK affair, Long Term Capital Market (1998) and i seem to remember a nasty old shift in the PIBOR yield curve in 1994].Although, this current catastrophe is pretty horrible, it will pass (2/3 years) and finance and opportunities will re-emerge.If prostitution is the oldest profession in the world, then the business of lending money is the second oldest. Although, one of these professions is more honourable than the other. I will leave the reader to decide which!!

StatGuy

September 17th, 2008, 11:54 am

The age people get into this industry is quite variable with some getting in at 40+ while others mange it in the range 26-33 after a PhD (UK or abroad).Age shouldn't matter as long as you have the right skills for the job. Having a PhD or years of relevant experience helps tho. SG
Last edited by StatGuy on September 16th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lubbermuchhio
Topic Author

September 17th, 2008, 11:56 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnor29/30 is not too old, though it helps a lot if the extra couple of years has been put to good use. The average age of people going into this line of work is higher than you might think because a lot of people enter after a PhD.Have you looked at doing the CQF ?DC.While my work ex is good....I have terribly screwed my bachelor's degree grads. WIll that prevent me from getting into a good school. I am asking as all schools demand 2:1 bachelors and I am miles away from 2:1....the only favourable factor in my profile is the work-ex. Please advise !

DominicConnor

September 17th, 2008, 11:58 am

Most of them say 2.1 or significant work experience, so it is probably a matter of discussing it with them.Of course I have to ask about the low grades, this is not a great job for people who struggled though their degrees.

phil451

September 17th, 2008, 12:21 pm

I got onto my MFE with a 2:1 in Mathematics. But Birkbeck also considers work experience as well.HOWEVER, if you are not adept with Matrix Algebra and basic statistics (Normal and Binomial Distributions, elementary probability theory) and the associated integration you will be buried in the first few weeks. Especially if you are doing a part time course and have to contend with a busy work day as well.

Lubbermuchhio
Topic Author

September 17th, 2008, 12:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorMost of them say 2.1 or significant work experience, so it is probably a matter of discussing it with them.Of course I have to ask about the low grades, this is not a great job for people who struggled though their degrees.DCFC.I just got 55% score in my graduation (I guess that's 1:1)- mainly due to the fact that I did not pay any attention at all to my studies because I was doing a very lucrative business then- I alongwith a friend used to source drives, monitors, motherboards, and what not and assemble PCs as per our clients' requirements. I was in my late teens- early twenties.....making easy money and was thinking of quitting studies altogether- so never paid any attention to bachelors scores....just studied a couple of days before exams and passed an accounting degree with Second Class Honours....I guess that is not at all struggling. I truly repent that fact but nothing can be done about it now. Had I put up a dedicated effort, a 2:1 would be very easily reached.But does this mean I have permanently screwed up my chances for LSE/Imperial/Warwick or no there is still some hope left considering that I have worked for 4 years in a European Ibank and for 3 years in an accountancy firm (total work-ex is 7 yrs if you consider my 3 yrs of accounting work-ex at the lowest level)? Im 28 now and going to turn 29 this December so I guess I will be almost 30 if I apply for September'09 intake. Plz advice.
Last edited by Lubbermuchhio on September 16th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

endian675

September 17th, 2008, 1:07 pm

I find the hand-wringing about making applications a little strange. If you want to do it, then make your application(s) - you'll either be accepted or you won't.

scmjsd

September 17th, 2008, 2:13 pm

i'm also a 30yr old MFE student - at birkbeck. i've been gainfully employed as a professional since my BEng (2.2) apart from a MSc computing i did to change career when i was 23.mr connor - i have no breaks in employment, been in city (re)insurance as a BA for 2 yrs now. just accepted a job with an IB software house as a BA - and yes they still have all their clients. i think after the MFE i'd like to try and get a BA role in an IB with a quant slant. maybe after a while move to more pure quant work of some sort. are there such opportunities?

Lubbermuchhio
Topic Author

September 18th, 2008, 10:54 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorMost of them say 2.1 or significant work experience, so it is probably a matter of discussing it with them.Of course I have to ask about the low grades, this is not a great job for people who struggled though their degrees.You know about my bad acads- 55% in graduation but I forgot to tell you something more.....I am currently pursuing an Executive MBA (General Management) from India. It is a joint degree program in association with an American university.My performance in the program has been decent enough....so far averaged 70%+. This program is likely to be completed by Jan'09....in 4 months to be precise.My question is, should I mention about this degree when I make an application? If I do, then not only will it kill my bad grad score but will also be useful in providing acad referencs from the professors here- a requirement for applying to LSE programs.However, Im afraid that mentioning that Im an MBA may hurt my chances of making it to an MSc.....do you think differently?If the answer is yes, then I think Im better off not showing my MBA and applying immediately..... if not then Im better applying after Jan when I get my marksheets and degree certificates....plz advise.
Last edited by Lubbermuchhio on September 17th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On