SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

DominicConnor

Entry-level quant job prospects with "criminal" record

September 24th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Banks typically do credit checks, and as I say in the Guide, they are pretty tolerant of the way most students run their finances.They really hate anything that smells of dishonesty though. If courts have got involved it looks bad, but even then when I've spoken to HR about it they have been entirely reasonable about it.British HRs hate the rip off train fare system, as much as anyone, and internationally they pretty much see those who screw around phone companies as the good guys.Remember that most HR people these days are graduates, and thus remember how it was when they were students. They form a sensible view on the difference between a teenager scraping his way through on low/zero income and fraud/drug abuse.In all these things you want to get your spin in first, either through me as a headhunter putting it in the right way to the right person, or contacting HR directly and asking their advice.By being up front about it, you show yourself to be responsible and not hiding anything, which usually plays better.There is however a timing issue here. By "up front", I mean that the best time to ask is when they get around to the offer stage, before they do such checks. No sense in possibly frightening them off in such a competitive market.

CrashedMint

September 27th, 2008, 7:54 pm

Honest question: Isn't not having a train ticket and get caught NOT A PROBLEM AT ALL? At least here in Continental Europe if you are in a hurry and really need to take a train but have no ticket, then you just board it anyway, then you may get caught and pay like €40 extra, or you don't get caught and it's a free ride. Probably if the catch you like 5 times in a row they sue you, but just not having a ticket once = no big deal.I mean: It's hardly a crime. And it has NOTHING to do with your performance at work. And I seriously doubt that something as trivial as a train ticket would even show up in some criminal record. What's next? Jail time for sitting in the wrong row at the movies?

katastrofa

September 27th, 2008, 8:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnTreat someone like a criminal, and they may act as one.or act as a criminal as you have, and be treated like oneMistakingly sitting in the wrong compartment is not seen as a criminal activity in this part of the world. Especially when you are innocent of the fact.breaking the law makes you a criminal ....Stop being an asshole...

Paul

September 27th, 2008, 10:16 pm

CrashedMint: Sadly almost anything you do in the UK is illegal now, unless you are a politician or his/her spouse.Owning this book can get you locked up for terrorsim in the UK. In fact, if you are in the UK, I strongly suggest you don't even click on that link!P
Last edited by Paul on September 27th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

September 27th, 2008, 10:47 pm

I'm waiting for the UK governmen to lock up Amazon.co.uk, then.
Last edited by katastrofa on September 27th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

September 27th, 2008, 11:05 pm

The ranking of that book in UK is 50,000, in US it is 4,000. See this article.P

katastrofa

September 27th, 2008, 11:50 pm

The Amazon reviews are pretty funny ;-)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On