SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

CrashedMint
Topic Author

How do I become a trader?

September 27th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Having like 6 Bloomberg screens and yell at quants sounds a lot sweeter than being yelled at by some jerk with 6 Bloomberg screens. So, how do I become a trader?Disclaimer: That was supposed to be funny. But for real: I have a background in business administration, which was in my case (Suisse) mostly statistics and quant finance. So I'd say that I'm fairly familiar with most of the quantitative finance concepts and the math behind it. While I find that math, be it PIDEs, FFTs, etc. interesting I tend to see these math concepts as tools to build models so derivatives on some underlyers can be priced and traded. And personally I find that trading to be more interesting to "just" do the math. What would be a nice entry level job?

HyperGeometric

September 27th, 2008, 10:01 pm

Just open an account with a discount broker and start trading.

LSEstat

September 28th, 2008, 1:02 am

call dell, order 10 screens, call bloomberg order a terminal, open an account with tradestation, starting trading and start yelling at your mom

KackToodles

September 28th, 2008, 4:45 am

you need to take up racketball and other rough sports and get used to yelling obscenities at people. then, when those traders yell at you at work, you get up and scream right back in their faces. they will start to see you as an equal and invite you to join their team.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

September 28th, 2008, 6:18 am

Let me reword this question: How do I become a trader in a way that does not includea) working from my parents' basementb) being a part time waiter to pay for food?

phil451

September 28th, 2008, 6:42 am

I'd start with looking for a job as a product controller or trading assistant.Those guys look after traders books. It gets you close to the trading room and to the traders. From there it's easier to make the step into trading.However, trading looks a lot easier than it is

horacioaliaga

October 3rd, 2008, 4:35 pm

You can start by driving a cab and becoming a recruiter. Don't forget playing poker, watch the movie "Wall Street" and read Liar's Poker.Don't enter in philosophical questions like "it's my work productive to the society?"

DominicConnor

October 4th, 2008, 6:48 am

Having like 6 Bloomberg screens and yell at quants sounds a lot sweeter than being yelled at by some jerk with 6 Bloomberg screens.I'd ask yourself why the trader is shouting ?Do happy people get angry with their colleagues, is this a sign of joy ?Although the average pay of currently working traders is higher than for quants, the failure rate is very high.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

October 4th, 2008, 2:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorAlthough the average pay of currently working traders is higher than for quants, the failure rate is very high.Dominic, honest question: What role in a bank would be interesting and somewhat quantitative but not just 24/7 hard core math or programming? Maybe structuring? I'm not scared by the math (actually I'm quite good at it), I just don't feel like doing it ALL THE TIME. Then on the other hand I spent years learning that math and just doing something purely "qualitative" (like maybe marketing) feels like a waste of time to me, cause I could probably do this without ever using c++ etc. (No offense: I guess marketing is important, it just feels not right for *me*.)I'd really be interested in your thoughts!CM
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On