SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ukbeaver
Topic Author

Oxford PT Msc Mathematical Finance Interview

October 27th, 2008, 10:18 am

Hi ppl,I am supposed to be interviewed over the phone in a couple of days as part of my application to the Oxford part-time MSc in Mathematical Finance. The interviewer is going to be one of the maths professors there. Apparently there may be some technical questions during the interview. Any tips from ex/current grads from this MSc as to what to expect would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

phil451

October 27th, 2008, 10:32 am

I didn't apply for the Oxford MSc, but on the MFE i'm following at the moment the Maths can be split into 3 areas:Calculus - In particular the Diffusion EquationMatrix Algebra - Eigenvalues, Inverses etc....Statistics - Probability Theory, discrete and contiunuos PDFs, linear regression

ukbeaver
Topic Author

October 27th, 2008, 1:48 pm

Thanks Phil, in terms of the admission interview itself, do you have any tips?

skh

October 27th, 2008, 4:26 pm

did the fulltime course last year. they tailor the interview very much to your background. i had not done pde's and did not get a single question on them. but be prepared to give basic definitions and theorems in analysis and prob theo (eg central limit theo, def of brownian motion). it also helps if you can explain the intuiting behind some things.

ukbeaver
Topic Author

October 28th, 2008, 7:56 am

Thanks a lot for that - how do you find this course overall?

skh

October 28th, 2008, 10:52 am

cannot comment on the pt course as i did the ft one. was overall very happy - some courses were great (howison's, hambly's, zhou's) others good, some sucked though. the course organization is sometimes bad, but i think they are improving it and at the end of the day it is not really what matters imo. career support is not very strong imo, but maybe that does not matter to you. my impression is the brandname helped big time in my job search later on. overall, would do it again any time, it was a great time and i learned a lot (had been working in a different field for years and wanted to switch tracks). and out of gut feel, i would choose this over any other course in the uk. good luck.

neilmaths

October 28th, 2008, 11:52 am

have google open just in case

JuniorStructurer

October 31st, 2008, 12:56 pm

Can I ask what the pre-requisites for this course is i.e what was your undergraduate degree in?How heavy does ones maths background need to be to be considered for this programme?Anyone know if a CQF qualification would be deemed adequate for a potential candidate holding a non mathematical science undergrad degree?
Last edited by JuniorStructurer on October 30th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tluby

October 31st, 2010, 2:42 am

I too will have an interview in the next few days. Does anyone have any experience that they can share? Would be most appreciated

meniscus

October 31st, 2010, 2:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: skhcareer support is not very strong imoIs that so? From other posts on a related topic the consensus seemed to have been quite the opposite. I mean other threads mention desks from the usual big banks managing to directly phone up students and ask them to come into their offices for interview...

kgpian

July 9th, 2011, 4:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tlubyI too will have an interview in the next few days.I recently applied for this course (part-time) and hopefully I should receive an interview call soon. Can you please share your experience at admission interview?Are you currently enrolled in this course? If so, any feedback/suggestion pls? I'm a java developer in trades processing area, with masters in chemical engineering.

trambakbanerjee

December 29th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Hello Everybody,I will also be applying for this part time MS in mathematical finance at Oxford. I was hoping to get some sense on the required acaedemic eligibility and the interview format. I have a Masters in Statistics from a reputed school in India (the Indian Statistical Institute) and around 6 years of work experience in the field of Credit and Ops risk. Something that bothers me is that my grades are not outstanding, somewhere in the region of 75% out of 100.Any hope for me getting into Oxford?ThanksTrambak

kgpian

December 30th, 2011, 9:42 am

Trambak - As far as know, they won't put you through interview if your qualifications are obviously matching their requirements. What was your undergraduate in? I think most critical part of your application (which is in your control) is the Maths Admission Test you have to submit with application. And try to apply in the first deadline itself, to maximize your chances. Send me a PM if you want to get in touch.
Last edited by kgpian on December 29th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swmi

May 21st, 2014, 11:57 am

Hi I recently applied for the part-time course and want to start preparing for the interview. kgpian, could you provide some feedback on your interview experience? Thanks
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On