Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

diamond
Topic Author

CQF

November 10th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Hi! I have been working as quant developer on equity derivative for two years and I am currently working as developer for a commodities derivative risk analyser software. I would like to move to a quant analyst or trading role. I am engineer in computer science with 3 years experience. Could the CQF give me the skills to make my dreams come true? What would be the best path considering the fact that there are many PhDs out there looking for the same role?

quantmeh

CQF

November 10th, 2008, 8:08 pm

does one have to physically show up on CQF lectures and exams?otherwise, one could "hire" a smart poor guy in a crappy country to take all the courses instead of himself and get the certificate

diamond
Topic Author

CQF

November 10th, 2008, 9:55 pm

I think that one have to physically show up at least on exams.It looks a very interesting formation but I would like to know its value in a FO role.

StatGuy

CQF

November 10th, 2008, 10:49 pm

The CQF is designed more for those who are already working in finance but want to leverage on their existing experience to help move towards some kind of quanty role. Having a PhD seems to be fast becoming the standard for quant roles, but this is by no means an exact requirement in all camps. You just have to network effectively and consider doing the CQF to improve on your existing knowledge base. If you are thinking of a PhD you should do it for yourself and not really for lucrative quant roles in future.SG
Last edited by StatGuy on November 9th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

CQF

November 10th, 2008, 10:53 pm

CQF - General infoCQF Exam and Assessment infoExams for first five modules are take home. For last module:Final Examination/DistinctionsThe final three-hour examination is optional. Delegates have to score 80% or above to receive the distinction. The examination is fully invigilated and covers subjects from all modules. Test centers are located in, or within reasonable travel distance of these cities - (the citiesare not listed though). Could check in with the program folks on that.

diamond
Topic Author

CQF

November 11th, 2008, 8:56 am

My queston is, for a quant developer, does the CQF program give necessary tools to move to a more quanitative or trading role? Because if it is designed just for analysts who want to leverage their experience, I don't see the point, they can make one of the many formations on some particular aspect of volatility, risk management, ....

Paul

CQF

November 11th, 2008, 9:28 am

As StatGuy says, most people taking the CQF already work in banks/funds and use the CQF to move into quant roles, or to be future proof, etc. We have a very good record of turning people into quant traders whether they already work in finance or not! And, as you suggest, diamond, this is the ideal role, where the money is! The CQF is intended to turn people with a math background (math, physics, chem, engineering of various sorts,...) into quant practitioners, not into academics. That's where I would fine tune StatGuy's statement a bit: a hard science PhD is very good for a quant role (although not necessary), and a finance PhD is very good for a university position.PM me and I'll give you the email address of the person to speak to about career progression. The best thing is for us to give you contact info for CQF alumni, they are always the best people to speak to. (And that's how the CQF has grown, by word of mouth, CQFers recommending it to friends and colleagues.)P

diamond
Topic Author

CQF

November 11th, 2008, 10:05 am

Thank you Paul, it is what I was thinking of about CQF. And what I am looking for.

ImranQ

CQF

January 13th, 2009, 8:39 am

We had a guy join at work who had done the CQF. He told me the way he had done his 'exam'. Not sure if it is true but but he told me that 7City faxed the exam to him at home which he had to complete and the fax back after a time limit. He said he had browsed books etc to get help! I was a little shocked at hearing this!! I have to admit, the CQF exam loses credibility in my eyes... However I'm not sure if 7City still give the 'exam' in the same way.

DominicConnor

CQF

January 13th, 2009, 3:25 pm

otherwise, one could "hire" a smart poor guy in a crappy country to take all the courses instead of himself and get the certificate I think that is true of any course. My university spotted that my name varies according to which official document you read, and wondered out loud who I really was I told them a version of the truth, and they were happy enough.You could pay someone to do the CQF for you, and it would be a most generous gfit since you'd also be paying for a course that will help their career.I'm not so sure what is in it for you ?The CQF is a practical course, Paul, Riaz, Mike various other experts (plus me) show you how to do stuff. So if you faked your way though it, there would be some other guy who would find his skills upgraded.You on the other hand will have a bit of paper, and since I assume that you cheated because you are not good enough to take the course, it is hard to see how you could prosper for very long in this line of work.Turn up at interview, and it will quickly become apparent that you don't know this stuff.Of course, you could get this poor person to sit on the end of the phone, and you could explain the funny thing in your ear as a "new type of hearing aid". Banks are usually very understanding of handicaps.I think there is a plot for a movie in all this. Presumably you could also hire someone who was good at thinking up lines to picking up women, another who knows lots of good jokes, yet another who speaks Russian and Greek.You could acquire a vast host of skills for a few K per year. The movie plot would of course include various hilarious moments when you are asked about the Greeks in finance and you start speaking in Greek. One of the "helpers" would of course fall in love with you, and the guy with the pick up lines will fall in love with her. But naturally you are in love with Charlize Theron, who also has one of these "hearing aids".There are for some reason a lot of dog movies around at present, so I'd exploit that demographic by one "helper" being an expert dog trainer.Then the wires get crossed, and you get him instead of the expert in picking up women "rub her tummy and tell her she's a good dog" I assert my intellectual property rights over this film project which I shall call "Outsourcing"
Last edited by DominicConnor on January 12th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags

Re: CQF

April 11th, 2022, 8:19 pm

It looks like another class got their CQF certificate results today.
Congratulations to those who sucessfully passed!