SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

weiser
Topic Author

Interview Stats

March 2nd, 2009, 12:40 pm

Would anybody like to guess the expected number of interviews before one lands a quant finance position these days?

penguina

Interview Stats

March 2nd, 2009, 1:02 pm

Inf or if you're lucky:numeric_limit<long>::max()
Last edited by penguina on March 1st, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yuryr

Interview Stats

March 3rd, 2009, 12:11 pm

tricky question as there are not too many interviewers nowdays. What number will you accept if you have only 1 and no job offer ever?

weiser
Topic Author

Interview Stats

March 4th, 2009, 6:26 am

I was hoping that a decent enough number of people would reply. So even if they all have one interview, we might get a good enough sample.

KackToodles

Interview Stats

March 5th, 2009, 3:43 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: weiserWould anybody like to guess the expected number of interviews before one lands a quant finance position these days?About 1.5 because employers are very picky about who they are willing to interview nowadays, and the opennings are very specific.

twofish

Interview Stats

March 5th, 2009, 10:35 am

weiser: Would anybody like to guess the expected number of interviews before one lands a quant finance position these days?Hard to say. Even in the good times, you would expect to see six or more interviewers before an offer. One problem is that the hiring process is slower than the economy. Typically, a new job hunter could expect to spend three months or so job hunting, and in three months the entire economy could change in either direction. Something else to think about is that if you can convince a bank to hire you to do *anything* right now, you have some major talent, luck, or connections somewhere, and are likely to go far. If you can convince a Wall Street bank to give you a minimum wage job shining shoes, then I want to talk to you to see what you did.

motszi

Interview Stats

March 5th, 2009, 1:48 pm

for me it was one. i did spend 6 months looking though. and i'm a lucky son of a bitch. but no connections.

KackToodles

Interview Stats

March 6th, 2009, 9:26 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: motszifor me it was one. i did spend 6 months looking though. and i'm a lucky son of a bitch. but no connections. Now that you have started work, is your job as good as you expected?

motszi

Interview Stats

March 6th, 2009, 11:58 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodlesNow that you have started work, is your job as good as you expected? I don't start for a couple more weeks. but i've been told what to learn, and it sure sounds just groovy
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On