SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ithousekeeper
Topic Author

CQF for Independent / Consultants?

March 31st, 2009, 10:26 am

I'm looking for advice on taking the CQF for independents / consultants.I have 9 years experience in developing Java software / systems and technology. Seven of those nine years have been working at information technology (IT) in banks. Currently, I'm working in front office technology in one of the two investment banks that converted to a bank holding company during the recent crisis.I have a bachelors in Computer / Electrical Engineering and the FRM. Technology work has been become very routine (a.k.a. boring ), so I've been looking for new challenges. Money has been ok though...ranging from $150K to $200K a year.So I'm wondering if taking the CQF would be worth it at this point in my career? Since I'm an indepedent, I would have to pay the $18,000 from my own pocket.Have any independents / consultants switched into a quantitative development role through CQF? Any suggestions are appreciated.

jbozidar

April 5th, 2009, 4:46 am

The fact that you are doing IT is going to be a difficulty. You will be perceived as a programmer and shunted into that track wherever you go. With so many people out of work, the 3.5 jobs that are actually open receive 1000 applicants eachso the employers can ask for very narrow and specific skills plus the specific eye color if needed. CQF would be worth it though, because that would be a way to say here, I am doing something to get into the quant role.One thing though - most of the jobs require a PhD or at least a masters. That may be the biggest problem. Sorry to sound so negative. Just giving you a perspective.

Paul

April 5th, 2009, 8:58 am

denniscmpe,email Geoff Brown, g.brown@7city.com. He will be able to give you the contact details of some of the people who've used the CQF to make the transition that you want to make. You can then ask them how the CQF helped.(For comparison, the CQF is like a practical version of a MFE, and also goes to a higher level in terms of showing you research-level material.)P

DominicConnor

April 5th, 2009, 6:49 pm

As an independent it is of course tax deductible which makes the $18K a bit less painful.

ArthurDent

April 6th, 2009, 5:03 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorAs an independent it is of course tax deductible which makes the $18K a bit less painful.Not in the US. It is not a "qualified educational expense" as defined by IRS publications. You may be able to deduct it as a business expense though.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On