SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

twofish

Advice to start as a quant in late 30s

September 20th, 2009, 4:44 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: EEGradAlso I am surprised that getting these positions is hard, because so few citizens pursue PhD in the first place. All the citizens I knew were able to get positions in MIT Lincoln labs/Sandia/MITRE even though their work was nothing spectacular.The problem with MIT Lincoln labs/SandiaMITRE and for that mattter Southwestern Research Institute and SAIC is that you are working for the DoD, which means for the most part they aren't doing research that I'm interested in doing. Also, people that I know that have worked on DoD projects tell me that the amount of bureaucracy and politics involved with these sorts of projects is very unpleasant. Finally there is the Wen Ho Lee problem which is not a minor thing for me.There is a funny irony here because one reason that I did get a physics Ph.D. and I work so hard at computer programming is that that's part of my "national identity." Getting physics Ph.D.'s is just want Chinese people do (at least that's what my parents taught me). So had my parents taught me that "total assimilation" was a good thing, I would have likely skipped physics and just done an MBA, made lots of money, and the laughed at the idiots that studied science and engineering.

deepvalue

September 20th, 2009, 9:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: twofishHowever, I've said things that could be used against me if people want to make my life hell, and that's looks to me like what happened with Wen Ho Lee. Has dr lee ever been officially cleared? did the energy secretary say he was innocent? Quote Part of the reason I do like the world of finance and multi-national corporations is that there are so many people from so many different parts of the world, that no one really cares what your political loyalties are as long as you make money. part of the probelm with these megasize powerful international banks is that they are taking over the world, becoming unelected dictatorships, and infringing on the sovereign rights of nations, including the USA. Think about it... international banks like citicorp have their tenacles into your wallet and credit scores and mortgages, in fact, the entire financial system. Yet's they are runned by spooky unelected unknown senior management groups that are more secret than the chinese politburo!!
Last edited by deepvalue on September 19th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepvalue

September 20th, 2009, 9:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: twofishThere is a funny irony here because one reason that I did get a physics Ph.D. and I work so hard at computer programming is that that's part of my "national identity." Getting physics Ph.D.'s is just want Chinese people do (at least that's what my parents taught me). du-uh, if you had looked around at your classmates, you should have asked yourself one question: if studying physics was such a great thing, why aren't more success-oriented, money-oriented US citizens doing it? why are all the citizens -- even the asian ones -- hording into pre-med, pre-law, pre-bee.

traderjoe1976

September 20th, 2009, 9:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: twofish I am quite fiercely loyal and patriotic toward the United States, but I do resent defending my loyalty and patriotism against jerks.The key question is "Did you force your kids to learn Mandarin?" I bet you did.

i386

September 20th, 2009, 10:30 pm

seems that the discussion has gone completely off-topic now. Even if you have a problem with Asian Americans learning mandarin, its nothing to do with QF. while I'm not one yet but could quants here show some respects towards each other? Or am I too nice for the job?

twofish

September 20th, 2009, 10:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: i386Or am I too nice for the job?In reality people in most places tend to be extremely nice to each other. The reason for this is self-interest. Bonuses are usually based on 360-reviews so people try to be very polite and helpful because they want you to write nice things about them in the end of year performance reviews.

twofish

September 20th, 2009, 10:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: deepvalueThink about it... international banks like citicorp have their tenacles into your wallet and credit scores and mortgages, in fact, the entire financial system. Yet's they are runned by spooky unelected unknown senior management groups that are more secret than the chinese politburo!!Sound to me like a great reason to work in one...... Even if you don't actually run the world, it's probably useful information to figure out who really does.
Last edited by twofish on September 20th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twofish

September 20th, 2009, 11:39 pm

One other thing. The reason I post here is that I like helping people, both because I get a good feeling from it, and because it's long term profitable. I help someone get in, someday they'll help me. The thing about people that beat up on me, is that they tend to beat up on newbies. Also, I have a pretty thick skin for this sort of thing. The good news is that there are lots of places in Wall Street where you can find friendly, helpful people that are doing everything they can to help you succeed. They are doing it because they think that they can make money off you. The truth is that everyone wants something from you. Everyone is out to get your money, include me. Now the question, is *how* they plan to get your money. Me? I want you to feel good. I want you to trust me. If you feel good around me, if you trust me, then you are more likely to hand over your wallet to me, but I'm not going to ask unless I really think that I can hand it back to you with more money in it. Now the really cool thing is that I work around people that basically have the same view of the world, and it's rather common on Wall Street for firms to have this sort of philosophy.

deepvalue

September 21st, 2009, 2:13 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: twofishSound to me like a great reason to work in one...... Even if you don't actually run the world, it's probably useful information to figure out who really does. no, senior management won't tell people at your level anything except on need-to-know basis, and what does a coder really need to know beyond the functionality specs.

twofish

September 21st, 2009, 11:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: deepvalue[no, senior management won't tell people at your level anything except on need-to-know basis, and what does a coder really need to know beyond the functionality specs.It's certainly not true were I work. Senior management tells everyone in the company what the corporate goals are, what the general strategies are, and most important what the culture and values of the firm are. Also the communications is two way. In order to senior management to make rational strategic decisions, they need a large amount of tactical information, so there is a huge amount of information that is flowing both up and the down the chain of command.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On