Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

prasenjit0211
Topic Author

Which degree best develops analytical skill ?

April 29th, 2009, 10:45 am

1.) Maths/Stats2.) Physics3.) Computer Science / Engineering4.) Doing Something else like solving problems

Cuchulainn

April 29th, 2009, 11:29 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: prasenjit02111.) Maths/Stats2.) Physics3.) Computer Science / Engineering4.) Doing Something else like solving problemsDepends on what you want to analyse. One of the best I saw had a degree fom the Amsterdam Conservatory (music).

quantmeh

April 29th, 2009, 11:57 am

real physicists (not string-crap) have to deal with real phenomena, which are always hidden behind a lot of noise and interference. there'll be all sorts of things going on, that you don't want to measure, and they get their way into the detector. so you have to be able to extract the real signal, and study its "physics". you learn to get into the bottom of things, and be patient and careful. there's a lot of intuition behind the physicists work, but it's an acquired skill. it comes with experience, and helps to navigate through complexity of a real world phenomena. it's what distinguished physicist from mathematician trying to do something in physics, they lack that heuristic without which you're lost. also, many physicists are superb engineers, because they have to build their instruments and design experiments. it's non-trivial task, because of all the interferences which i mentioned. even theor physicists have to be engineers at times if they participate in any kind of experiment design, and most of them do. there are some physicists who don't care about the real world connection though, i won't mention them here, they don't deserve it.

prasenjit0211
Topic Author

April 29th, 2009, 12:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnDepends on what you want to analyse. One of the best I saw had a degree fom the Amsterdam Conservatory (music).Basically I want to say that the ability to learn a new thing rather quickly by questioning the loopholes in assumptions- mostly cross functional business problems relating to finance.For example two students are to learn quickly the audit process, or a new exotic financial product, having little but not null background in either.
Last edited by prasenjit0211 on April 28th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil451

April 29th, 2009, 1:50 pm

I'd start with some textual analysis on Shakespeare's Hamlet. If you can figure out whether he was genuinely mad or just shaming you will be able to solve anything.

PlasticSaber

April 29th, 2009, 8:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: phil451I'd start with some textual analysis on Shakespeare's Hamlet..May I use the scanning electron microscope?Oh textual nor textural. Well....

quantmeh

April 29th, 2009, 9:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PlasticSaberQuoteOriginally posted by: phil451I'd start with some textual analysis on Shakespeare's Hamlet..May I use the scanning electron microscope?Oh textual nor textural. Well.... you should start with buying a good pair of glasses before going for a microscope
Last edited by quantmeh on April 28th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nomade

April 29th, 2009, 9:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: prasenjit02111.) Maths/Stats2.) Physics3.) Computer Science / Engineering4.) Doing Something else like solving problemsPhysics (theoretical), followed by applied math/stat.

ChicagoGuy

April 29th, 2009, 10:57 pm

Its reasonable to assume that physicists will almost always tell you physics, mathematicians will tell you math, and statisticians will tell you statistics unless they just hated what they studied during their degrees or had regrets. Most answers will be biased. Any of these degrees mentioned below will certainly give you superior analytical skills, however they will each teach you different techniques to approach problems. Just pick the one that you like the most. Computer science might be the riskier one to undertake because there are some fields where you wont learn any of the math that appears in finance.

stali

April 30th, 2009, 12:10 am

Computational Mechanics

PaperCut

April 30th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Physical Chemistry / Chemical Physics. Those guys are the best. Not that I would have an axe to grind, or anything...

katastrofa

May 1st, 2009, 5:33 am

jawabean is right, physics disconnected with the experiment is not such a good training of the mind. I would say that any experiment-based hard science which still lets you develop mathematical and coding skills (hardcore experimentalists sometimes have very sketchy knowledge of analysis or even algebra) is good, be it applied mathematics, physics, chemistry or engineering.
Last edited by katastrofa on April 30th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dvse

May 1st, 2009, 7:33 am

I would say "pure" maths an physics together. Other sciences do not have the same level of abstraction. If you are talking about undergrad, it may be possible to do a combined degree, depending on where you are.

KackToodles

May 1st, 2009, 9:49 am

bio mechanical engineering or bio–artificial intelligence is the latest new science nowadays.

ChicagoGuy

May 2nd, 2009, 5:07 am

you can just practice mental division and multiplication, and then become a trader. quick! what is 78% of 79.2% ?!!!!! Now whats 123*456?!!!!Simple math can take you places my friend.