SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

arkoud

Part time PhD in London: Impossible?

June 11th, 2009, 8:40 am

skh:1) Nothing is impossible, certainly not a part-time phd. There are far more difficult things in life than achieving that!2) Might be old fashioned but: in situations where you need a definite answer or are a matter of urgency and great importance to you (i.e you can't wait around forever to figure out what's happening with the potential supervisors) you always-always-always (in my opinion) need to contact them face to face. I advise you strongly when you contact a potential supervisor to send them a polite email stating that you are interested in a phd and your background. Avoid mentioning the part-time element OR that you are working (if you are). These issues can put off someone just by reading your email (if you are not eloquent enought to excite them through your written speech) and are best resolved face to face. Someone who sees you at his office will evaluate better your circumstances and interest for a part-time phd and the fact you maybe working. You can convince them easier when you are looking at them than when they get "another one" email for a phd from a hopeful. Face to face will help you evaluate their interest in you as well (something you can't do from an email) and give you an opportunity to ask them questions about what they might be interested in supervising and see how it fits with your needs. Don't expect them to go into details over an email response (ah yes, your idea about a thesis is rubbish but I would be interested to supervise xxxxxx project - ain't gonna happen).3) When you meet them you have to be convincing (prepare your script with your answers) and very absolute in regards to your professional work not interfering with your potential phd work (focus on time management). Their worries (after they are past the point of whether your subject is interesting) will be about the fact you are working and the part-time issue. Be absolutely adamant about your approach to those issues to qualm their fears.I suppose you get my point of view by now. I would even suggest instead of writing them an email to cold-call them directly. The email gives them time to think of a response and get back to you later. The phone forces them to make a decision on the spot and to avoid being impolite they will probably book you an appointment to meet them - which gives you the chance you want.I hope this helps.As someone else already said - it's a marketing/sales game.Best of luck!

Cuchulainn

June 11th, 2009, 9:12 am

Quote [...] part-time phd. There are far more difficult things in life than achieving that!Don't know if I agree.But this project probably ranks in the top three in order of the amount of effort, motivation needed! Extra-curriciula activities must be curtailed
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 10th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

phil451

June 11th, 2009, 11:21 am

Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[...] part-time phd. There are far more difficult things in life than achieving that!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Don't know if I agree.If you feel that there are few things more difficult in life than achieving a part time phd. You have lived a truly blessed life!

Cuchulainn

June 11th, 2009, 12:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: phil451Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[...] part-time phd. There are far more difficult things in life than achieving that!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Don't know if I agree.If you feel that there are few things more difficult in life than achieving a part time phd. You have lived a truly blessed life!Usually when doing a PhD the cards are diced against you 1) young 2) no money, 3) marriage + kids possibly 4) you are on your own, intellectually, 5) hold down a (new) job at the same time. Many get burned out (PhD ADB) 6) just not enough hours in the day. This is one particular scenario. So, you get all the issues in life at the same time.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 10th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arkoud

June 11th, 2009, 12:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: phil451Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[...] part-time phd. There are far more difficult things in life than achieving that!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Don't know if I agree.If you feel that there are few things more difficult in life than achieving a part time phd. You have lived a truly blessed life!.Oooops, there is a misunderstanding here. I probably didn't convey my thought correctly.I meant that getting accepted into a part-time PhD is not as (relatively) difficult as other things in life. I didn't mean _completing_ the part-time PhD. That's a totally different ballgame!! I said that in response to the OP title about getting into a pt PhD in London seen as impossible.Regards,K

Cuchulainn

June 11th, 2009, 1:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: KostasGQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: phil451Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[...] part-time phd. There are far more difficult things in life than achieving that!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Don't know if I agree.If you feel that there are few things more difficult in life than achieving a part time phd. You have lived a truly blessed life!.Oooops, there is a misunderstanding here. I probably didn't convey my thought correctly.I meant that getting accepted into a part-time PhD is not as (relatively) difficult as other things in life. I didn't mean _completing_ the part-time PhD. That's a totally different ballgame!! I said that in response to the OP title about getting into a pt PhD in London seen as impossible.Regards,KNo problem.Getting in is easy, and as Joyce said "you get out by degrees"

riccardo24

June 12th, 2009, 3:37 pm

usually Phd students work 10 hours a day for 4 years(it's not all like that but a good percentage, the other part is worse).carefully plan your time before apply to part-time Phd, start something without finishing it's a nightmare, both foryour mood and for your CV. but if you're motivated, motivations can make you dig mountains with bare hands.Go to talk with them face-to-face, usually people in academia are very busy and don't care much about what's going onnear them. they only care when they see the possibility of a young guy founded by outer project who can work for themfor 4 years almost without expenses from them, in a way that he's risk free from them. yes it's about money in academia.

deepvalue

June 13th, 2009, 4:22 am

applying to do a part-time phd is like applying to be a part-time priest or monk. most school will throw away your application because they immediately recognize that you are not willing to work as hard as it takes to become a successful phd graduate. a serious phd program is like joining a monastery, comrade.
Last edited by deepvalue on June 12th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

June 13th, 2009, 8:00 am

Quoteusually Phd students work 10 hours a day for 4 years(it's not all like that but a good percentage, the other part is worse).Really? I thougt that a PhD process was more unpredictable in the sense that you are waiting on a brainwave( like Poincare when he got off the bus).Do you do coursework?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 12th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traderjoe1976

June 13th, 2009, 9:32 am

In UK there is no coursework for the PhD. Therefore PhD takes 3-4 years to complete.In USA and Canada there is 2.5 years of coursework and exams prior to dissertation research. Therefore PhD takes 5-6 years to complete.Because of coursework, Part-Time PhD is almost impossible to complete in USA and Canada. It would take 10 years to complete all the PhD requirements.

deepvalue

June 14th, 2009, 1:42 am

part-time phd would be easier IF you have coursework. with no coursework, you have to stare at a blank piece of paper and fill it with your thesis. how is a part time student with lots distractions going to fill that empty piece of paper?
Last edited by deepvalue on June 14th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riccardo24

June 14th, 2009, 1:40 pm

al least for eng. you have to develop something and the coursework help you in applying some theory to some eng. problem. there are different levels of theoretical phd in eng. and there are different conferences levels for publications. you can survive to the phd even if you do not discover a new relativity.the number of publications also related to how much your work is in vogue.If you cinsider two phds with equal skills if you're lucky you can publish a lot more simply because you're working on a hot topic.phd students continue to learn in courses for all the period of phd, usually math related courses.

deepvalue

June 14th, 2009, 10:14 pm

nobody will be able to tell you "which topic is in vogue". You have to figure that out for yourself and get lucky. It's similar to if you want to start a company. Nobody can tell you what is the next google. You have to figure that out for yourself. If somebody knows what is the next google, he would start it himself.. why would he tell you?

riccardo24

June 16th, 2009, 1:45 pm

eeee, that's true I experiecned it by myself. but it depends also on your advisor,you don't start all by yourself at the beginning. and if you must be lucky enough to be on the right topic(perhaps not the next Google) but hot enough to be under spotlights. and if you're even luckier to workon a new topic you can publish garbage as gold.

analyst78

June 26th, 2009, 1:54 pm

Not to discourage, I know a guy who enrolled for full time PhD, then changed his mind at start of second year as he gotta a decent job. Decided to continue PhD part time and that was the seminal moment in his life. He got married, managed to have three kids on the way after that but never finished his PhD. He is still going on about it 8 years its been. But If have the will, whos to stop you?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On