SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

MatthewM

Need Advice Regarding My Career

June 25th, 2009, 5:43 am

Many med physicists are lazy about getting ABR certs. This holds down their pay, but even they make 90k+

MatthewM

June 25th, 2009, 5:44 am

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job ... ist/Salary EDIT: they also work regular (i.e. 40 hr a week) jobs.I don't think I have it in me to work in a clinical setting. You have to get used to watching people die on a pretty regular basis. My wife found it hard once in a while, especially dealing with TBR on kids.
Last edited by MatthewM on June 24th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TitanPartners

June 25th, 2009, 7:58 am

dushyantkumar1, MatthewM makes an excellent point ... which is you need to first ask yourself why you want to work in finance? Many quants would love to leave and work in medical physics. In finance you have to take the rough with the smooth, at the moment the job would definately be rough, so even if you do want to work in finance, why not hold off until the market for quants pick up again? Why waste your time answering brain teasers to brainless HR people when you could be getting on with cool modelling and computer vision in medical physics?Your PhD is a fantastic achievement, and your horizons are broad, don't forget that.

jomni

June 25th, 2009, 8:37 am

Tough to be a fresh grad in these times... It's an employers market. And there are so many experienced bankers without jobs to compete with.

traderjoe1976

June 25th, 2009, 8:40 am

QuoteI am an international student on OPT/ F1. I do remember that few times some HR people used to ask me for my visa status and then no reply.Thanks for your advice.You are welcome. This explains everything. Cheer up. This is just a temporary issue. All the international students are facing this problem even when they obtain the MFE and PhD from the best universities in the USA. The companies are telling them not to apply for the jobs if they need sponsorship for the work permit.(1) You can take the post-doc position and be patient until you can get a quant job where a company is willing to sponsor you for the work permit.(2) You can apply for the UK HSMP visa for which you are surely qualified and then go to London to look for a job. I know a lot of incredibly brilliant French MFEs who are all going to London because they do not need any work permits to work there.these other people are right. DO NOT IDENTIFY YOURSELF on these forums. You can get fairly reliable advice here but if you identify yourself, anything you say over here may come back to hurt you later on. These forums are nice because people can be honest and express their true feelings about many things without anyone knowing who they are.

HyperGeometric

June 25th, 2009, 12:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dushyantkumar1I told her that HR people should never interview a guy with phd..I am proud of you. Its amazing how so many top quality candidates don't get a chance because HR doesn't clear them. If you are confident that you want to work in finance, take the Cornell job. It'll be much easier for you to constantly keep going for interviews.
Last edited by HyperGeometric on June 24th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twofish

June 25th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Just out of curiosity, how did you know that the person interviewing you was HR? I've never been in a situation in which an HR person asks a brainteaser, but I have been in situations where the interviewer looks like the stereotypical person from HR and you later find out that they were either a senior manager or senior quant.

MatthewM

June 25th, 2009, 12:29 pm

Tricky. Thanks for the heads-up.

Chaotic

June 25th, 2009, 12:37 pm

I went to a Morgan Stanley presentation a few weeks ago and they actually use HR people to ask these brainteaser questions.On the other hand, just because simply someone has a Ph.D. from Cornell does not mean that he/she is a top candidate. There is a broad distribution of talent even in such a good program, I am not really blided by the school's reputation and neither is Wall Street.

MatthewM

June 25th, 2009, 12:39 pm

He is not from Cornell. He is from ASU. He is considering taking a job at Cornell med.

Chaotic

June 25th, 2009, 12:49 pm

I am sorry, my mistake.

EscapeArtist999

June 25th, 2009, 1:27 pm

I wonder if they are using HR for technical interviews because they have sacked so many quants that they can't afford to use the quant time at the initial stage....

deepvalue

June 26th, 2009, 7:13 am

they use hr because the pretty hr ladies are the most attractive selling points in the firm?

TitanPartners

June 26th, 2009, 7:49 am

They use HR because they have a deluge of applications and they are applying some kind of metric to arbitrarily choose candidates for the "next phase", by which time the situation may have changed and the job no longer exists ... they also need something for HR to be doing before the next round of sackings that HR will have to formally carry out in order to cover MS's back so that the company can pay back *some* of the money it has stolen from the American taxpayer.If it was me personally, I would follow the advice of HyperGeometric can go to Cornell ... it would be fun and you can interview the entire time you are there.

KackToodles

June 26th, 2009, 4:08 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: TitanPartnersthey also need something for HR to be doing before the next round of sackings that HR will have to formally carry out in order to cover MS's back so that the company can pay back *some* of the money it has stolen from the American taxpayer. It would be smart to intern for 1 year in HR. Then you can see everyone's salaries and learn all about job/industry hiring practices. Then you know who to call and how to get yourself hired when you go back on the job market, and how to negotiate for a better salary. The main job of HR is to collect all the salary numbers and prepare for the next round of layoffs.Cornell is 200 miles from NYC. A bit far away to get lots of interviews all the way from out there.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On