SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

quantmeh

late 30s... finance or research?

March 28th, 2010, 4:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GiusCoSpending this late afternoon on the "guide to quant careers" I asked for and have just received from mr Connor. Very sound and instructive. it's mainstream-ish. like "how to enter a gated community without a pass uninvited while riding an Abrams tank". it doesn't tell you what to do if you're not in a tank, have no invitations or bazookas at hand.

daveangel

March 28th, 2010, 5:28 pm

Quote t's mainstream-ish. like "how to enter a gated community without a pass uninvited while riding an Abrams tank". it doesn't tell you what to do if you're not in a tank, have no invitations or bazookas at hand. what if you are wearing a smoking jacket and slippers ?
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

trackstar

March 28th, 2010, 5:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote t's mainstream-ish. like "how to enter a gated community without a pass uninvited while riding an Abrams tank". it doesn't tell you what to do if you're not in a tank, have no invitations or bazookas at hand. what if you are wearing a smoking jacket and slippers ?I will instruct the gatekeeper to let you pass through. You may borrow one of the golf carts to reach our humble abode.Be seeing you!

GiusCo
Topic Author

March 28th, 2010, 5:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabean it's mainstream-ish. like "how to enter a gated community without a pass uninvited while riding an Abrams tank". it doesn't tell you what to do if you're not in a tank, have no invitations or bazookas at hand.Insiders' advice helps to make a figure, while reality is to individuals and particular circumstances? Agreed. But it is not a waste of time. We interact, some people get a revenue, some other a CV, some more one opinion.At this stage I'm simply happy to make an informed opinion.@ two fish: I think at a certain age you understand what you may, can, need and want to do... 3 of them are under your direct control... at least you pretend so.

GiusCo
Topic Author

March 28th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Have had a look around, offers and requirements for entry level quants. And yes, a weak (slowly improving) C++ with a very good Excel / VBA may do the trick, from a technical point of view. CFA syllabus will come useful for fundamentals.All in all, 3-4 months time back at the drawing board. It bodes well for my PhD conclusion too.Well... thanks everybody for feedback, I can honestly say myths & prejudices are gone. Much appreciated. Be back this summer. Ciao, Gius

KackToodles

March 29th, 2010, 3:55 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelthe inefficiencies are few and far between and milk tends to be of the skimmed variety arguably but not provable. This means the smart quants can still persuade investor to believe they are seeing inefficiencies. it's not what is there, it's what people believe is there, my man. investing is a beauty contest.
Last edited by KackToodles on March 28th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveangel

March 29th, 2010, 11:31 am

Quote Well... thanks everybody for feedback, I can honestly say myths & prejudices are gone. Much appreciated. Be back this summer. Ciao, Gius We were just getting to know you and you go ? Ah well, another ship that passed in the night

GiusCo
Topic Author

March 29th, 2010, 11:56 am

Still here lurking. But you're right, it would not be kind.I'll stay and add actively to the variety of this forum.Was pondering about £ / € quotes and hoping UK don't go too much inflating debtI came here at £ / € = 1.50 and it's 1.10 now ... a couple of good news in Euroland, a double dip here and we're 0.90 this is the game

daveangel

March 29th, 2010, 11:59 am

Quote a couple of good news in Euroland don't hold your breath

GiusCo
Topic Author

March 30th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Last edited by GiusCo on August 16th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GiusCo
Topic Author

August 17th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Some good work those months thanks to your wilmotter tips and I've got one interview in London plus one distance Excel test for later this week.Apart of business, best chance in my life to spend a couple of hours in the Poetry Library at Southbank Centre. Keep the good vibe going!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On