SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

sfrizvi
Topic Author

Help Needed to decide Univ

June 13th, 2003, 11:51 pm

Hello everyone.I have been following this forum for some time and have to say thatit is very good because of the many opinions represented here.I need some help to make a decision regarding Msc programs.I have graduated in BSc in Computer Science (University of Western Ontario) and have worked for 16 months (internship) with Nortel Networks. Since graduating I have seriously considered going for the quant programmer/ advanced trading route. Hence I've gone back toschool and done advanced courses in applied math and statistics.Currently I work as a prop trader in a trading house here in Canada. I want to go forwards for my MSc and have to decide between University of Reading (ISMA Centre - MSc ISIB) and University of Toronto(Masters in Mathematical Finance).I'm worried about the current job market (specially in UK- I'm a canadian citizen). Also the new curriculum of ISMA Centre is untested. I know there have been previous ISMA discussionshere but nothing about the new curriculum.http://www.isma.rdg.ac.uk/http://www.mm ... main.php3I would greatly appreciate if some one could help me by giving advice, comments and criticismregarding my career and educational plan.Thanks, hoping to hear from you all.-sfrizvi

unquantifiable

June 17th, 2003, 5:01 am

hi, if your objective is to work in the EU after you complete your master's at ISMA, you must bear in mind that it is next to impossible to get a job in the EU due to the work permit issues. cheers

sfrizvi
Topic Author

June 18th, 2003, 4:00 am

Thanks UnquantifiableI really appreciate your comments. Is it really extremely difficult for a Canadiancitizen aswell? Also any insights on the ISMA degree, its quality and the job situation that their graduates are going through?Their website suggests that 41% of there grads in 2002 are now workingin trading & sales....is that right....seems high does'nt it?looking forward to reading your input. thanks-sfrizvi
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On