SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tavisor
Topic Author

Theoretical Physics Ph.D. looking to get into the Quant business

July 1st, 2010, 11:07 am

Hi,I would like to find some information about getting into Quantitative Finance. As a lifeline I did my undergraduate work in Romania, my doctoral degree in the USA, then I worked as a postdoctoral fellow in Germany. My area of research is theoretical particle physics. I understood from some colleagues that with a background like I have it is possible to get into Quantitative Finance. My problem is that I don't know where to start searching. :-) Any advice is welcome! Thanks a lot!

tavisor
Topic Author

July 1st, 2010, 11:20 am

By the way... everyone is talking about headhunters. How does one find them, or do they find you?

Hansi

July 1st, 2010, 11:28 am

As you're out of the industry with no experience you find them not they you. I recommend just looking for people asking similar questions here in the careers forum, there are dozens of posts just like yours.

ArthurDent

July 1st, 2010, 2:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tavisorBy the way... everyone is talking about headhunters. How does one find them, or do they find you?It's a good filter. If you can't find some recruiters to get you interviews, then you likely don't have the initiative needed to succeed in this line of work.

traderjoe1976

July 1st, 2010, 5:03 pm

You need to go to efinancialcareers.com. Post your resume and then apply for all the jobs which seem to be a decent fit. The headhunters will contact you and arrange interviews for you.

tavisor
Topic Author

July 1st, 2010, 5:06 pm

@Arthur Thx for the response. My line of thinking was... that since they earn money this way, they might just contact potential clients, but I guess they have enough clients. Now I need to find myself some recruiters. @traderjoe Thx for the tip.

lobdellb

July 2nd, 2010, 12:47 am

I recently finished a PhD in electrical engineering, with background in machine learning. I've "opened files" with about ten recruiting firms. Some of which found me, most of which I've found.That has not however availed me to any meaningful interviews. I've had interviews for software development positions which were basically unrelated to finance. Once I explain that I want a quant-research job or a software development job that will make use of my machine learning background, and further my experience in finance, I am told I have the wrong background and/or insufficient experience to get those jobs.Any thoughts?
Last edited by lobdellb on July 1st, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tavisor
Topic Author

July 2nd, 2010, 8:11 am

So, I have one more question. I found a few offers on Monster.com. They say that you can apply online or call their contact person. Does one usually call, or send the application via their apply online option? My question might really sound idiotic, but I only know how things work in academia...

yaourt

July 2nd, 2010, 11:18 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tavisorSo, I have one more question. I found a few offers on Monster.com. They say that you can apply online or call their contact person. Does one usually call, or send the application via their apply online option? My question might really sound idiotic, but I only know how things work in academia...usually you give them a ring. they will ask questions about your life, education, experience and skills and take notes. noooooo! of course not. no offense, but yes, the question is really somewhat stupid. you will always have to send a CV. This is the most important part of your application. you can call them beforehand and ask specific questions about the position so that you can modify your CV accordingly. in any case, you still need to send a CV. the CV is usually accompanied by a cover letter in which you outline briefly why you apply and why you are a good fit for the position.

tavisor
Topic Author

July 2nd, 2010, 11:25 am

Yes, See... in academia you never call ahead of time. :-) I did not want to sound pushy by calling them. I was just assuming that like in academia, they take all the CVs that they get, and make their selection based on their requirements, then make a short list, get some people for interviews... and so on. It turns out that I also have to learn how to apply for the jobs not only the job itself. People in academia are sometimes, how should I say... "autistic" in their interaction to the rest of the world.

AbhiJ

July 2nd, 2010, 11:27 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ArthurDentQuoteOriginally posted by: tavisorBy the way... everyone is talking about headhunters. How does one find them, or do they find you?It's a good filter. If you can't find some recruiters to get you interviews, then you likely don't have the initiative needed to succeed in this line of work.Its a bit harsh I guess, he is just starting out.

twointhebush

July 3rd, 2010, 9:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: lobdellbI recently finished a PhD in electrical engineering, with background in machine learning. I've "opened files" with about ten recruiting firms. Some of which found me, most of which I've found.That has not however availed me to any meaningful interviews. I've had interviews for software development positions which were basically unrelated to finance. Once I explain that I want a quant-research job or a software development job that will make use of my machine learning background, and further my experience in finance, I am told I have the wrong background and/or insufficient experience to get those jobs.Any thoughts?I'm nearly finished with an EE PhD in machine learning, statistical signal processing, etc. and was able to get a bunch of non-developer quant interviews and a couple of offers (for a summer internship) via my school's recruiting system. As a recent graduate you ought to have access to something like this; have you given it a shot? Also try your undergrad institution's career services.

kiwiman

July 3rd, 2010, 11:25 pm

Last edited by kiwiman on July 3rd, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tavisor
Topic Author

July 6th, 2010, 3:46 pm

So, I have talked to a headhunter from Huxley on the phone today about the possibility of getting into this line of work and the conclusion of our conversation was pretty discouraging. The upshot was that companies are not searching for people who are looking to get into in the field because there are plenty of candidates who need jobs and already have experience. Is the market that saturated? Anyway I will keep trying.
Last edited by tavisor on July 5th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantsong

July 6th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Go to efinancialcareers/phds.org/indeed etc. Apply quant positions directly. If you fail in first few interviews, which most probably would happen, then you should know what needs to be prepared before going to an interview. Generally, I feel like one needs six months or so to get himself fully prepared(prob,math,finance,stat,bt...and c++) if his phd thesis was not close to quant finance.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On