Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

freeradical
Topic Author

4 phone interviews with 4 different groups in Goldman Sachs

August 2nd, 2010, 6:24 pm

HiI am an EECS PhD grad and I have been having phone interviews with Goldman Sachs. In fact, I've had 3 of them already, and am scheduled for a fourth, all with different groups. I am trying to understand what is happening here. My interviews were okay - not great, but not awful either. So either - 1. I am getting rejected by each group and getting passed on to the next (bad). If so, I should perhaps try to get a few days in between to prepare better. 2. This is some normal rotation of interviews (good). I'd like to think I am borderline on the interviews - not enough to convince any group to interview me the second time. But if I were totally awful they probably wouldn't waste time interviewing me further. I am just trying to assess how to proceed - if anyone has any similar experience or any advice I would really appreciate it if you could share it with me. Thanks.

HyperGeometric

August 2nd, 2010, 8:38 pm

You've pretty much answered your own question(s). I think it's more like number 2. They're interviewing a lot nowadays and there are multiple groups where they feel your skill set fits (better) - you'll have to go through many more interviews though in case you keep passing them.

CrashedMint

August 2nd, 2010, 8:55 pm

i wouldn't worry, as if group A did not like you, they would definitely not waste group B's time. they would just STOP interviewing you. i guess they have several applicants and are trying to figure out who should start in which group.

KackToodles

August 3rd, 2010, 2:33 am

it means your resume/cover letter did not direct itself to the correct group because you did not represent your skill set accurately.

twofish

August 3rd, 2010, 2:45 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: freeradical1. I am getting rejected by each group and getting passed on to the next (bad). If so, I should perhaps try to get a few days in between to prepare better. 2. This is some normal rotation of interviews (good). 2 is much, much more likely than 1. Also it may be that they really like you, and they want to show you off. The other thing is that GS is legendary for sending people through lots and lots of different groups and people. They want to see if you fit in the hive-mind.QuoteI'd like to think I am borderline on the interviews - not enough to convince any group to interview me the second time.It's really hard to figure out how well you did on the interviews.

freeradical
Topic Author

August 3rd, 2010, 5:30 am

Thanks for all the replies !

ThinkDifferent

August 3rd, 2010, 7:06 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: freeradicalHiI am an EECS PhD grad and I have been having phone interviews with Goldman Sachs. In fact, I've had 3 of them already, and am scheduled for a fourth, all with different groups. I am trying to understand what is happening here. My interviews were okay - not great, but not awful either. So either - 1. I am getting rejected by each group and getting passed on to the next (bad). If so, I should perhaps try to get a few days in between to prepare better. 2. This is some normal rotation of interviews (good). I'd like to think I am borderline on the interviews - not enough to convince any group to interview me the second time. But if I were totally awful they probably wouldn't waste time interviewing me further. I am just trying to assess how to proceed - if anyone has any similar experience or any advice I would really appreciate it if you could share it with me. Thanks.i've been in a similar situation. had definitely more than 4 phone interviews. it happenes, and it is normal. it could be the combination of 1 and 2. in my case, the main reason was that they were considering me for one location (tokyo) but then for some reason asked if i would like to go to new york. i was in london back then hence a bunch of phone interviews and video conferences.

Finance1987

August 3rd, 2010, 7:52 pm

What's the point of conducting so many rounds of interviews? What do they expect?