Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

RomanceHunter
Topic Author

Requesting 2010 US MFE/MSFM/MSCF programs ranking by job placement

August 6th, 2010, 5:36 am

Can anyone give out some info about the US MFE/MSFM/MSCF ranking by job placement this year? Thank you!! I am planning to apply.NYU MSFMCMU MSCFUCBerkeley MFEStanford MSFMColumbia MFEChicago MSFMUCLA MFEMaybe some other more programs...Thank you guys!!!

ArthurDent

August 7th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Baruch in NYC is better than the off NY ones on your list if you are interested in working in NYC.

RomanceHunter
Topic Author

August 8th, 2010, 7:32 am

Thx for you info. So you mean NYU, Columbia, Baruch> CMU,Berkeley, Chicago in job placement in NYC? right?

traderjoe1976

August 8th, 2010, 9:57 am

If your main concern is placement:1. Berkeley, CMU2. Princeton, Stanford, NYU, Columbia3. Baruch, Chicago, etc.Check their placement stats online. If they do not provide full information such as number of students who graduated, number of students who responded to the placement survey, number of students who got jobs, etc. do not apply.

AndyNguyen

August 8th, 2010, 2:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976If your main concern is placement:1. Berkeley, CMU2. Princeton, Stanford, NYU, Columbia3. Baruch, Chicago, etc.Check their placement stats online. If they do not provide full information such as number of students who graduated, number of students who responded to the placement survey, number of students who got jobs, etc. do not apply.By your logic, why did you include Princeton, Stanford, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, etc?

KackToodles

August 8th, 2010, 3:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CDQNBy your logic, why did you include Princeton, Stanford, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, etc? MIT, UCLA, uiuc, cornell, caltech, ...

DominicConnor

August 9th, 2010, 9:16 am

TJ is right that you should avoid the MFES who don't publish their placement stats, but you shouldn't believe them either.

EscapeArtist999

August 9th, 2010, 2:47 pm

It's interesting to look at the MSCF stats from CMU - it seems that the money paid to immigrants has decreased significantly (in the US) compared to the GC/citizen group (I know this number suffers from small sample bias) - but I am guessing that peoploe with GC/citizenship are getting the sales/trading/quant trading/market research/ dare I say FO quant (strat at GS for example) type positions, and the crappy IT/RM/Quant Modelling/Model validation/Development jobs are being "reserved" for immigrants.... It sounds outragous, but it might not be as untrue as one might think.
Last edited by EscapeArtist999 on August 8th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twofish

August 10th, 2010, 12:37 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999 I am guessing that peoploe with GC/citizenship are getting the sales/trading/quant trading/market research/ dare I say FO quant (strat at GS for example) type positions, and the crappy IT/RM/Quant Modelling/Model validation/Development jobs are being "reserved" for immigrants....You are guessing wrong......First of all, we need to get rid of the notion that IT/RM/Quant Modelling etc. jobs are crappy. Most of the new hiring are in this area, and right now I've very, very, very strongly recommend that you get a job in risk rather than something that is being sold as a FO quant job (many of which involve typing numbers into Excel).Second the reason that immigrants get technical jobs is that math is something that Americans generally stink at. The math education system in the US is pretty awful.

EscapeArtist999

August 10th, 2010, 7:13 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: twofishQuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999 I am guessing that peoploe with GC/citizenship are getting the sales/trading/quant trading/market research/ dare I say FO quant (strat at GS for example) type positions, and the crappy IT/RM/Quant Modelling/Model validation/Development jobs are being "reserved" for immigrants....You are guessing wrong......First of all, we need to get rid of the notion that IT/RM/Quant Modelling etc. jobs are crappy. Most of the new hiring are in this area, and right now I've very, very, very strongly recommend that you get a job in risk rather than something that is being sold as a FO quant job (many of which involve typing numbers into Excel).Second the reason that immigrants get technical jobs is that math is something that Americans generally stink at. The math education system in the US is pretty awful.Twofish, just because most of the hiring is going on there doesn't mean that it's the place to be. I have met many Americans in the Math PhD programs who had excllent technical skills. The US has what 350 million people if we look at the top 0.1% of the population are they not strong enough? You are wrong on that count Americans don't want to do programming/math cosz it's difficult and not very prestigious.Think man, think!

twofish

August 10th, 2010, 7:49 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999<Twofish, just because most of the hiring is going on there doesn't mean that it's the place to be.If someone gives me money in exchange for services that's the place to be.QuoteThe US has what 350 million people if we look at the top 0.1% of the population are they not strong enough?Sure. But for finance hiring you are interested in the top 10%. The top 0.1% of the population gets academic jobs. What you are looking for is percentile 90-99.9%QuoteYou are wrong on that count Americans don't want to do programming/math cosz it's difficult and not very prestigious.Exactly, which means that there isn't a desire for most native-born Americans to get the skills necessary to do programming and math, which means that most native-born Americans aren't terribly good at it. Why get a Ph.D. in math if you can get more money and prestige for less work with an MBA or law degree?This isn't a serious handicap for the US economy as long as you can import immigrants to do that sort of work, although I have my doubts that that is going to last for very long.

EscapeArtist999

August 10th, 2010, 9:19 am

TwoFish you managed to give a counter-argument that strengthens mine! P.S. you're up awful late for a dude who has to boringram all those mindless models when the sun rises!
Last edited by EscapeArtist999 on August 9th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twofish

August 10th, 2010, 10:03 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999TwoFish you managed to give a counter-argument that strengthens mine!The thing that you are missing is that front office is not hiring right now. The jobs that are hiring are in model validation, risk control, back end systems. If you want to know why, just listen to the news. QuoteP.S. you're up awful late for a dude who has to boringram all those mindless models when the sun rises!It's always noon somewhere in the world.

EscapeArtist999

August 10th, 2010, 10:21 am

TwoFish, there IS hiring in the front office, just not that much... That does not men that middle office or back office or whatever other boregramming job you get is better, it's just the only shit left for the quant geek immigrants. Open your EYES TF....

twofish

August 10th, 2010, 10:40 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999TwoFish, there IS hiring in the front office, just not that much... That does not men that middle office or back office or whatever other boregramming job you get is better, it's just the only shit left for the quant geek immigrants.Money is money. I like programming. I get paid cold, hard cash for programming.What's your criterion for better?QuoteOpen your EYES TF....If you are going to settle for nothing better than imaginary jobs that don't exist, then think larger. Rather than aspire to be a front office quant, then why not imagine being the Sultan of Brunei, and sit around turning jobs that pay less, and get all annoyed that you aren't getting a yacht with your next job.