SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

finalguy
Topic Author

How long to wait for the next application

August 10th, 2010, 3:54 am

I got an onsite interview from my dream group in a top IB at the beginning of this year. It was very close to an offer, but did not go. How long should I wait before I send resume to this group again? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years? I really want to try again.

KackToodles

August 10th, 2010, 5:38 am

3 years. that's how long it'll take for them to turn over the personnel and forget about you. as long as the people who interviewed you are still there, there is no chance you'll get another interview in the same group.

frattyquant

August 10th, 2010, 6:23 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: finalguyI got an onsite interview from my dream group in a top IB at the beginning of this year. It was very close to an offer, but did not go. How long should I wait before I send resume to this group again? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years? I really want to try again.Totally the wrong attitude dude... give up on this one and apply elsewhere. After few years of experience elsewhere or another degree, you could try again... but its really much better to move on, theres many other banks out there.

twofish

August 10th, 2010, 10:52 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: finalguyI got an onsite interview from my dream group in a top IB at the beginning of this year. It was very close to an offer, but did not go.How do you know it was close to an offer? Also what are you doing now? If you have a job, I'd wait another year before looking elsewhere.QuoteHow long should I wait before I send resume to this group again? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years? I really want to try again.There is a general requirement that you wait six months. Also, if you really were close to an offer, don't bother looking for them, they'll come looking for you.

finalguy
Topic Author

August 10th, 2010, 2:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frattyquantQuoteOriginally posted by: finalguyI got an onsite interview from my dream group in a top IB at the beginning of this year. It was very close to an offer, but did not go. How long should I wait before I send resume to this group again? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years? I really want to try again.Totally the wrong attitude dude... give up on this one and apply elsewhere. After few years of experience elsewhere or another degree, you could try again... but its really much better to move on, theres many other banks out there.The thing is I feel it is difficult to change asset class. I have about 1 year experience in fixed income. When I look for job again, all the recruiters send my resume to the FI groups. I just don't have a chance to try other asset classes.

musterseed

August 10th, 2010, 10:38 pm

Fixed income is pretty broad. What other asset classes do you want to try? Equities? It is pretty easy to move from fixed income to equities but not vice versa. The math and concepts tend to be harder in fixed income, so there is more of a learning curve.
Last edited by musterseed on August 10th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frattyquant

August 11th, 2010, 10:30 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: finalguyQuoteOriginally posted by: frattyquantQuoteOriginally posted by: finalguyI got an onsite interview from my dream group in a top IB at the beginning of this year. It was very close to an offer, but did not go. How long should I wait before I send resume to this group again? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years? I really want to try again.Totally the wrong attitude dude... give up on this one and apply elsewhere. After few years of experience elsewhere or another degree, you could try again... but its really much better to move on, theres many other banks out there.The thing is I feel it is difficult to change asset class. I have about 1 year experience in fixed income. When I look for job again, all the recruiters send my resume to the FI groups. I just don't have a chance to try other asset classes.One year in fixed income is not that much... you can easily change to say FX, but even assuming you want to stay in fixed income.... theres more than one bank out there!

DominicConnor

August 11th, 2010, 7:19 pm

I think 2fish is near the money here, best they come for you, but...It would not hurt to drop them the occasional email just to make sure you don't slip their minds.

deepvalue

August 12th, 2010, 3:34 am

How did they reject u? If they didn't reject u yet maybe there is still a chance if their top choice turns down offer.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On