SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

cxianliu
Topic Author

Men Do Numbers, Women Do Strategy

August 11th, 2010, 12:51 am

Is it still true that ?Men Do Numbers, Women Do Strategy?? (http://online.wsj.com/article/NA_WSJ_PU ... 60197.html)Quantitative analytics is mathematics and programming - heavy area often and relies on complex and strict logics to build quantitative models and strategies. Has this been one of the reasons to stop women step into the field of quantitative finance?

KackToodles

August 11th, 2010, 4:31 am

women do accounting well. and arranging travel. both involve a lot of numbers. but women have the common sense not to go into a job that involves sitting in front of a glowing tube all day, which is what quant is all about. now, almost all senior strats are men because strategy involves one helluva lot of traveling and old boy networking, which mothers seem to have a hard time doing.
Last edited by KackToodles on August 10th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yaourt

August 11th, 2010, 6:38 am

Nah, never has been true. Men do business, women do laundry. What has stopped women from entering quantitative fields is a lower brain capacity.

frenchX

August 11th, 2010, 9:35 am

Interesting comment Yaourt. She is the best quant in France and one of the most famous teacher in quantitative finance , just tell her that she deserved laundry. By knowing her and her temper, i bet that you will be ripped off in raw meat in probably 10 s Nicole El KarouiOh you could say that she is the exception which confirms the rule but there is also Laure Elie, the second most known teacher (and the rival of El Karoui) in quantitative finance .More recently and far much more younger and good looking we have Anna Katherine Barnett Hart whose the report on CDO from Harvard (yeah she didn't work at the local KFC) is considered by a lot of people (among Michael Lewis) as the best expertise on CDO. I read it and I have to confess that it's really brilliant.I just want to say that you have clever people among both man and woman. And the same for the contrary ...
Last edited by frenchX on August 10th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

August 11th, 2010, 11:54 am

Perhaps men make better code monkeys and certainly women are better at seeing the big picture.If you are making a choice in your studies or early career, go for the big picture.It is more exciting and the pay is better too. PS: code monkeys are becoming more and more commoditized these days and you know what that means...
Last edited by trackstar on August 10th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traderjoe1976

August 11th, 2010, 2:27 pm

There are a lot of Women in the MFE classrooms and also on Wall Street. It just happens to be the case that they are all Chinese or French or Eastern European.

frenchX

August 11th, 2010, 2:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976There are a lot of Women in the MFE classrooms and also on Wall Street. It just happens to be the case that they are all Chinese or French or Eastern European.Could please say to the french girls in WS to return in France? I feel a bit alone in Paris More seriously, yes there are a lot of women in the world of business. In France in a quantitative finance classroom you have I would say 75% of men. In business management it could be the contrary. All the people I know in Paris who study management are girls.
Last edited by frenchX on August 11th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

August 11th, 2010, 3:12 pm

And so Joanne Hill and Diane Garnick, for example, are what nationality?But really I am happy that we have such a community of smart tough women from various parts of the world. Once we have expert coding machines to replace all those male monkeys, we will drive the overhead down and let the revenues roll in!
Last edited by trackstar on August 10th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepvalue

August 12th, 2010, 3:38 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976There are a lot of Women in the MFE classrooms and also on Wall Street. It just happens to be the case that they are all Chinese or French or Eastern European.It just so happens they are not as pretty as the MBA women.

deepvalue

August 12th, 2010, 3:42 am

Duplicate
Last edited by deepvalue on August 11th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepvalue

August 12th, 2010, 3:42 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarAnd so Joanne Hill and Diane Garnick, for example, are what nationality?But really I am happy that we have such a community of smart tough women from various parts of the world. Once we have expert coding machines to replace all those male monkeys, we will drive the overhead down and let the revenues roll in!Why do quanta lose their ability to do basic statistics once we talk about the real world? Dede, your examples are the exceptions that are statistically insignificant. 90% of the best quanta are men. What does a handful of tailpoints prove?
Last edited by deepvalue on August 11th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yaourt

August 12th, 2010, 6:31 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: deepvalueQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarAnd so Joanne Hill and Diane Garnick, for example, are what nationality?But really I am happy that we have such a community of smart tough women from various parts of the world. Once we have expert coding machines to replace all those male monkeys, we will drive the overhead down and let the revenues roll in!Why do quanta lose their ability to do basic statistics once we talk about the real world? Dede, your examples are the exceptions that are statistically insignificant. 90% of the best quanta are men. What does a handful of tailpoints prove?Exactly, those are exceptions, just like a 2m tall chinese guy or a frenchman who speaks proper english

katastrofa

August 12th, 2010, 9:04 am

I think the whole idea of "men are better in X and women in Y" is utterly ridiculous in 99.99% cases, unless it involves heavy physical labour.What I also think is deplorable, that whenever you talk about women in finance, the main subject of interest is their looks. Why don't you discuss the looks of male quants? Girls don't go into finance to be ogled.
Last edited by katastrofa on August 11th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AbhiJ

August 12th, 2010, 10:13 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaI think the whole idea of "men are better in X and women in Y" is utterly ridiculous in 99.99% cases, unless it involves heavy physical labour.What I also think is deplorable, that whenever you talk about women in finance, the main subject of interest is their looks. Why don't you discuss the looks of male quants? Girls don't go into finance to be ogled.This is natural. Name the poster girl tennis star, Williams Sisters, wrong Anna Koornikova.

katastrofa

August 12th, 2010, 10:17 am

It's natural in other contexts, not in business/workplace.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On