SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

joshdick
Topic Author

Interviewing company asks for old performance reviews -- Is this normal?

August 20th, 2010, 2:52 pm

After 2 years with a trading firm, I was laid off as part of a company-wide downsizing. I'm now interviewing with a hedge fund, and I've gotten pretty far along in the process. They've brought me in 3 times, and I've been interviewed by 7 different people there.After my last interview with them, they asked for a copy of my performance reviews from my old job. Is this normal? I've never heard of a company doing this.In my many interviews with them, they asked about those old reviews, and I answered opened and honestly about the feedback I had received.I'd appreciate any color you guys can provide. This seems highly unusual to me, but I could be wrong, I guess.

iliketopology

August 20th, 2010, 3:59 pm

It is quite unusual. If you are in touch with your old boss or colleagues, who are willing to be your references then tell them that you have references and they could check the same. If you don't have copies then the case is closed but if you do have then you might want to pitch the reference story first before going any further.

quantmeh

August 20th, 2010, 4:58 pm

b/s

photoguy

August 20th, 2010, 5:01 pm

I believe that at my firm, performance reviews are considered confidential, proprietary information. You might want to check if this is the case at your old firm. If so, you have an airtight reason for not turning them over, and you can offer references instead.

quantmeh

August 20th, 2010, 10:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: photoguyI believe that at my firm, performance reviews are considered confidential, proprietary information. only crazy reckless company would release performance reviews to 3rd parties. it's a liability

traderjoe1976

August 21st, 2010, 1:50 am

This is strange indeed. Even if a person is fired from their job, the company will never tell anyone that the person was fired or release any performance review or say anything bad about the person to another company. That leads to lawsuits which the companies would like to avoid at all costs.

marketJunk

August 21st, 2010, 11:33 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: photoguyI believe that at my firm, performance reviews are considered confidential, proprietary information. You might want to check if this is the case at your old firm. If so, you have an airtight reason for not turning them over, and you can offer references instead.I concur with you Photoguy....It's not only unusual but also unethical unless the hedge fund also files the performance reviews of their employees with SEC :-)

KackToodles

August 21st, 2010, 7:31 pm

nobody ask for performance reviews. if the place you're interviewing at is asking for them, they are either incompetent/naive/raw OR they are yanking your nipple. when you can't show up with them, they'll use that as their excuse why they can't hire you or as an excuse to give you a lower salary.

ArthurDent

August 21st, 2010, 11:07 pm

Last edited by ArthurDent on August 21st, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twofish

August 22nd, 2010, 1:24 am

Very unusual, especially since you can't easily get performance reviews from your old company.

DominicConnor

August 22nd, 2010, 7:31 pm

Maybe kacktoodles is right, this is so rare that I can't really see what is in their minds.Also, it's not cynical enough.If you're lying about your reviews, then it's really not that hard for you to put together a realistic, but nicely positive set of reviews.Has it occurred to these evangelicals that you might own your own copy of MS Word and a printer.I'm not sure about it being unethical, but it would worry me about their attitude.

dd3

August 22nd, 2010, 9:25 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: twofishVery unusual, especially since you can't easily get performance reviews from your old company.how is it not easy? at least in the UK, any company is legally obliged to hand over any info they have on you, be it interview notes or review notes.If your old employer had an anyway decent HR dept they'd have this info, and if they knew their law they'd hand it over.

twofish

August 23rd, 2010, 2:38 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: dd3how is it not easy? at least in the UK, any company is legally obliged to hand over any info they have on you, be it interview notes or review notes.In the US, there is no such requirement. Also, companies in the US often have document retention policies which require documents to be shred after a short time, and that's assuming that anyone put anything in writing in the first place which they usually don't.

joshdick
Topic Author

August 23rd, 2010, 6:28 pm

Thank you for your replies.I informed the company that my old reviews were confidential and proprietary, and I offered to provide references from co-workers who could talk about my past performance.

DominicConnor

August 23rd, 2010, 8:09 pm

DD3, they are obliged to hand over any information that they have, this can get bloody if they claim to have 'lost' it.One bank lost a vast pile of cash because it 'lost' personal information and the courts decided this was on purpose.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On