SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

 
User avatar
barny
Posts: 387
Joined: May 8th, 2007, 6:55 pm

Front office requirements

September 14th, 2010, 3:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999If math ability was the key to success all the billionaires would be mathematicians wouldn't they?Math ability is rarely the key to anything. It's been shown that IQ can only account for about 20% of the success that people have, the other 80% being emotional intelligence i.e. your control and judgement of yourself and how you interact with others. It's unfortunate that great math ability is often negatively correlated with emotional intelligence. But if you're looking for a job as a bog standard quant, then math ability is pretty useful, no?
 
User avatar
AbhiJ
Posts: 748
Joined: August 5th, 2008, 11:29 am

Front office requirements

September 14th, 2010, 6:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: barnyQuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999If math ability was the key to success all the billionaires would be mathematicians wouldn't they?Math ability is rarely the key to anything. It's been shown that IQ can only account for about 20% of the success that people have, the other 80% being emotional intelligence i.e. your control and judgement of yourself and how you interact with others. It's unfortunate that great math ability is often negatively correlated with emotional intelligence. But if you're looking for a job as a bog standard quant, then math ability is pretty useful, no?Emotional Intelligence is just a buzzword for people skills.To succeed you need to be excellent in one thing if you are a top quant, economist, researcher you can earn more than top 5% of marketing guys.
 
User avatar
barny
Posts: 387
Joined: May 8th, 2007, 6:55 pm

Front office requirements

September 14th, 2010, 9:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJQuoteOriginally posted by: barnyQuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999If math ability was the key to success all the billionaires would be mathematicians wouldn't they?Math ability is rarely the key to anything. It's been shown that IQ can only account for about 20% of the success that people have, the other 80% being emotional intelligence i.e. your control and judgement of yourself and how you interact with others. It's unfortunate that great math ability is often negatively correlated with emotional intelligence. But if you're looking for a job as a bog standard quant, then math ability is pretty useful, no?Emotional Intelligence is just a buzzword for people skills.To succeed you need to be excellent in one thing if you are a top quant, economist, researcher you can earn more than top 5% of marketing guys.Typical math-geek arrogance. As someone who has read several books on emotional intelligence, I can tell you it's not just a buzzword for people skills. It's also about controlling your own emotions. Can you delay gratification? Can you control anger so that you don't say or do things that you regret later? Can you cope when something tragic/sad happens to you or loved ones? These are all part of emotional intelligence, but have little to do with other people, but are vital skills for success in life.
 
User avatar
Anthis
Posts: 4313
Joined: October 22nd, 2001, 10:06 am

Front office requirements

September 14th, 2010, 9:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: barnyQuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJQuoteOriginally posted by: barnyQuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999If math ability was the key to success all the billionaires would be mathematicians wouldn't they?Math ability is rarely the key to anything. It's been shown that IQ can only account for about 20% of the success that people have, the other 80% being emotional intelligence i.e. your control and judgement of yourself and how you interact with others. It's unfortunate that great math ability is often negatively correlated with emotional intelligence. But if you're looking for a job as a bog standard quant, then math ability is pretty useful, no?Emotional Intelligence is just a buzzword for people skills.To succeed you need to be excellent in one thing if you are a top quant, economist, researcher you can earn more than top 5% of marketing guys.Typical math-geek arrogance. As someone who has read several books on emotional intelligence, I can tell you it's not just a buzzword for people skills. It's also about controlling your own emotions. Can you delay gratification? Can you control anger so that you don't say or do things that you regret later? Can you cope when something tragic/sad happens to you or loved ones? These are all part of emotional intelligence, but have little to do with other people, but are vital skills for success in life.Can you score? I might add...
 
User avatar
delta4667
Posts: 5
Joined: September 3rd, 2010, 10:44 am

Front office requirements

September 14th, 2010, 11:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: barnyTypical math-geek arrogance. As someone who has read several books on emotional intelligence, I can tell you it's not just a buzzword for people skills. It's also about controlling your own emotions. Can you delay gratification? Can you control anger so that you don't say or do things that you regret later? Can you cope when something tragic/sad happens to you or loved ones? These are all part of emotional intelligence, but have little to do with other people, but are vital skills for success in life.This seems to be a moo point; a "typical math geek" has no emotions, so there's no need for any such control.More seriously, these are skills that can be learned, it's more a question of being willing than able. It's very difficult to be an expert in two unrelated fields, largely because there aren't enough hours in the day.
 
User avatar
EscapeArtist999
Posts: 1620
Joined: May 20th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Front office requirements

September 14th, 2010, 11:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: delta4667QuoteOriginally posted by: barnyTypical math-geek arrogance. As someone who has read several books on emotional intelligence, I can tell you it's not just a buzzword for people skills. It's also about controlling your own emotions. Can you delay gratification? Can you control anger so that you don't say or do things that you regret later? Can you cope when something tragic/sad happens to you or loved ones? These are all part of emotional intelligence, but have little to do with other people, but are vital skills for success in life.This seems to be a moo point; a "typical math geek" has no emotions, so there's no need for any such control.More seriously, these are skills that can be learned, it's more a question of being willing than able. It's very difficult to be an expert in two unrelated fields, largely because there aren't enough hours in the day.That's why most of the non-math-geek world view math geeks as being a bunch of Aspergers c*nts.... Coz I gotta be honest I'm real tired of those meritocratic math-geeks who screw you on every little thing.... There should be NO QUARTER for those people, when they screw up and you have the chance you should grind their skulls into the dust... That's meritocracy for you... They still haven't worked out, the efficient way to win is to f*ck the system, and that often works better in groups...
 
User avatar
barny
Posts: 387
Joined: May 8th, 2007, 6:55 pm

Front office requirements

September 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: delta4667QuoteOriginally posted by: barnyTypical math-geek arrogance. As someone who has read several books on emotional intelligence, I can tell you it's not just a buzzword for people skills. It's also about controlling your own emotions. Can you delay gratification? Can you control anger so that you don't say or do things that you regret later? Can you cope when something tragic/sad happens to you or loved ones? These are all part of emotional intelligence, but have little to do with other people, but are vital skills for success in life.This seems to be a moo point; a "typical math geek" has no emotions, so there's no need for any such control.More seriously, these are skills that can be learned, it's more a question of being willing than able. It's very difficult to be an expert in two unrelated fields, largely because there aren't enough hours in the day.Actually, they can't be "learned" as such. You can't read a book and be cured of anger problems, or suddenly be able to delay gratification if you can't already. Our ability at these tasks depends hugely on our childhood and upbringing. Our limbic system is the main culprit, and making material changes would likely require a great deal of therapy and a lot of effort and practice from the patient. Oh, and it's estimated about 50% of our emotional intelligence is inherited. Though I agree with you about the expert problem.
Last edited by barny on September 14th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
ArthurDent
Posts: 1166
Joined: July 2nd, 2005, 4:38 pm

Front office requirements

September 15th, 2010, 12:29 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: barnyQuoteOriginally posted by: delta4667QuoteOriginally posted by: barnyTypical math-geek arrogance. As someone who has read several books on emotional intelligence, I can tell you it's not just a buzzword for people skills. It's also about controlling your own emotions. Can you delay gratification? Can you control anger so that you don't say or do things that you regret later? Can you cope when something tragic/sad happens to you or loved ones? These are all part of emotional intelligence, but have little to do with other people, but are vital skills for success in life.This seems to be a moo point; a "typical math geek" has no emotions, so there's no need for any such control.More seriously, these are skills that can be learned, it's more a question of being willing than able. It's very difficult to be an expert in two unrelated fields, largely because there aren't enough hours in the day.Actually, they can't be "learned" as such. You can't read a book and be cured of anger problems, or suddenly be able to delay gratification if you can't already. Our ability at these tasks depends hugely on our childhood and upbringing. Our limbic system is the main culprit, and making material changes would likely require a great deal of therapy and a lot of effort and practice from the patient. Oh, and it's estimated about 50% of our emotional intelligence is inherited. Though I agree with you about the expert problem.If you cannot pronounce Chinese or Arabic phonemes by the age of 3, there is zero chance that you will ever pronounce then correctly. (If you are Chinese or Arabic, well, your phonemes to learn early are from the Romance languages.)If your math has holes and you are old enough, there is very little chance you can fill the holes.Soft skills are not like that. Yes, many cannot be learned if you lack them completely. But only psychopaths are devoid of all emotion. Most people can sharpen their skills throughout life and what you cannot sharpen, you can learn to avoid by conscious effort.Most really successful persons achieved expertise in two distinct areas. Maybe it is enough to be in the 80th percentile in three areas, that will put you in the 99th percentile for the intersection, but there better be some demand for that niche...
 
User avatar
traderjoe1976
Posts: 1544
Joined: May 19th, 2006, 9:50 am

Front office requirements

September 15th, 2010, 2:08 am

And this is why the MBA will always be running the companies and the quants will be restricted to their cubicles.
 
User avatar
AbhiJ
Posts: 748
Joined: August 5th, 2008, 11:29 am

Front office requirements

September 15th, 2010, 5:58 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: barnyQuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJQuoteOriginally posted by: barnyQuoteOriginally posted by: EscapeArtist999If math ability was the key to success all the billionaires would be mathematicians wouldn't they?Math ability is rarely the key to anything. It's been shown that IQ can only account for about 20% of the success that people have, the other 80% being emotional intelligence i.e. your control and judgement of yourself and how you interact with others. It's unfortunate that great math ability is often negatively correlated with emotional intelligence. But if you're looking for a job as a bog standard quant, then math ability is pretty useful, no?Emotional Intelligence is just a buzzword for people skills.To succeed you need to be excellent in one thing if you are a top quant, economist, researcher you can earn more than top 5% of marketing guys.Typical math-geek arrogance. As someone who has read several books on emotional intelligence, I can tell you it's not just a buzzword for people skills. It's also about controlling your own emotions. Can you delay gratification? Can you control anger so that you don't say or do things that you regret later? Can you cope when something tragic/sad happens to you or loved ones? These are all part of emotional intelligence, but have little to do with other people, but are vital skills for success in life.Haven't read as many books on EQ, though a couple. You already know that EQ is inversely related to Maths Ability and it cannot be improved in a short time.God has given you an ability, Maths, ability to read and understand quickly, use it, than thinking that you are a geek and all is lost.What is stopping most people is inaction, the unwillingness to stretch , both in work and outside. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 357524.cms(Don't think wharton gave him a free ride, he scored 760 on GMAT and had 5 years of finance/IB work ex)
 
User avatar
eh
Posts: 494
Joined: March 2nd, 2010, 9:26 am

Front office requirements

September 15th, 2010, 6:42 am

Quote You already know that EQ is inversely related to Maths Ability There is no real evidence, but it's scientific fact! (For Brasseye fans)Quote God has given you an ability, Maths, ability to read and understand quickly Since when has education been God?
 
User avatar
twofish
Posts: 4944
Joined: February 18th, 2005, 6:51 pm

Front office requirements

September 15th, 2010, 9:31 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976And this is why the MBA will always be running the companies and the quants will be restricted to their cubicles.My chain of command goes up three levels before you hit someone without a technical degree, and the degrees at that level are quite diverse. Something to point out is that 100x as many MBA's get awarded as physics Ph.D.'s so a physics Ph.D. is likely to be working for an MBA from just shear numbers.Also if you look at surveys of Fortune 500 CEO's, there are a lot fewer MBA's and a lot more engineers that you might expect.
 
User avatar
GiusCo
Posts: 124
Joined: March 26th, 2010, 10:00 pm

Front office requirements

September 15th, 2010, 10:21 am

all is forgiven if you make money enough (and share part of the cake) but there are many ways to earn a living by yourself
 
User avatar
AbhiJ
Posts: 748
Joined: August 5th, 2008, 11:29 am

Front office requirements

September 15th, 2010, 2:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: twofishQuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976And this is why the MBA will always be running the companies and the quants will be restricted to their cubicles.Also if you look at surveys of Fortune 500 CEO's, there are a lot fewer MBA's and a lot more engineers that you might expect.Another way of saying the same thing is that one can criticize PhDs for lack of social skill. But no one knows what they could have done had they got MBAs.
 
User avatar
Finance1987
Posts: 119
Joined: August 27th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Front office requirements

September 15th, 2010, 5:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AbhiJ You already know that EQ is inversely related to Maths Ability and it cannot be improved in a short time. It isn't! Jim Simons is a great counter-example for this particular assertion.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...


Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...


GZIP: On