Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

silencer
Topic Author

Interview

October 9th, 2010, 3:14 pm

Quick question. How do you guys manage to give phone interviews during work hours? I work at a small firm so going to the meeting room is not an option. What other alternatives are there? Taking a day off ? I work in downtown NYC , anywhere I can rent a meeting room for an hour or so to give my interview in peace ?

Finance1987

Interview

October 9th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Observe your boss' movements. When he is out from his cubicle and when you know that he ain't gonna return for a long time, go into his cubicle and give the telephonic interview.

mrmister

Interview

October 9th, 2010, 4:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: silencerQuick question. How do you guys manage to give phone interviews during work hours? I work at a small firm so going to the meeting room is not an option. What other alternatives are there? Taking a day off ? I work in downtown NYC , anywhere I can rent a meeting room for an hour or so to give my interview in peace ?Lunch. Before work. After work. And maybe during work by stepping out for an hour?

Finance1987

Interview

October 9th, 2010, 5:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mrmister Lunch. Before work. After work. And maybe during work by stepping out for an hour?How about taking leave for a day and giving it from home?

KackToodles

Interview

October 9th, 2010, 5:39 pm

just go to the bathroom -- the one your boss doesn't use -- and sit in the toilet, make all the calls you want.

silencer
Topic Author

Interview

October 9th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Yeah I can step out for lunch but need a quite place to talk on the phone. Any suggestions around NYC financial district ?

tu160

Interview

October 9th, 2010, 7:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: silencerYeah I can step out for lunch but need a quite place to talk on the phone. Any suggestions around NYC financial district ?FiDi is too crowded, go 5 min to Battery park area: WFC winter garden, Whole Food cafeteria in front of new Goldman building (off lunch hours), any upscale hotel lobby...Personally I don't do phone interviews with local firms, if you are in the city already why can't they invite you in the building?

KackToodles

Interview

October 9th, 2010, 9:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: silencerYeah I can step out for lunch but need a quite place to talk on the phone. Any suggestions around NYC financial district ? you can rent a telephone booth at Kinkos.

MatthewHoyle

Interview

October 12th, 2010, 5:41 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Finance1987QuoteOriginally posted by: mrmister Lunch. Before work. After work. And maybe during work by stepping out for an hour?How about taking leave for a day and giving it from home?Phone interview means it's such an early stage to be taking a day off just for interview