SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

prasenjit0211
Topic Author

What drives the successful people?

October 10th, 2010, 7:31 pm

What drives these MDs and fund managers to work insane hours - year after year.A.) Family Responsibilities.B.) Greed for Wealth and luxuries that wealth can afford - yatch, women etc.C.) Peer Pressure. D.) Workaholic attitude.E.) Pure love of work.

tu160

October 10th, 2010, 7:59 pm

1. fear of death2. existential emptiness3. stupidity

farmer

October 10th, 2010, 8:10 pm

They are sociopaths who love human interaction but can't develop non-work relationships.

KackToodles

October 11th, 2010, 1:06 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: prasenjit0211What drives these MDs and fund managers to work insane hours - year after year.a cheauffer

AKalmykov

October 11th, 2010, 7:38 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tu1601. fear of death2. existential emptiness3. stupidityThis is 100% correct.

ThinkDifferent

October 11th, 2010, 7:55 am

lack of other interests outside of work. ...oh, and LOL@ D) Pure love of work.

plus

October 11th, 2010, 8:35 am

Competitive attitude.They want to be the ones making the sales, fixing the program or getting the promotions. If someone else gets glory then they feel bitter, so they dedicate their lives to achievement.

phil451

October 11th, 2010, 9:44 am

All of the above but mostlyApproval from a parent who didn't pay them enough attention when they were growing up.

LTrain

October 11th, 2010, 5:30 pm

>> What drives these MDs and fund managers to work insane hours Small penis and large mistress??

DominicConnor

October 12th, 2010, 10:43 am

The nature of my work means I've met a good number of people who've enjoyed great sucess in a variety of fields, thoough obviously with a bias towards finance, and I lean mostly towards e) love of the workBut that is balanced by a loathing of the work being done badly, and quite visceral reactions to people they believe as "letting the side down", pretty much regardless of what "the side " is.By answering the question, I'm specifically answering about a grade of sucess that means stuff you do makes the papers and/or your writings on the subject are taken seriously by your peers.They are also approachable because sociopaths who can't interact with people may be able to do quite well, but very rarely make it really to the top tier.I've met any number of dickhead middle managers who mistake aggrression for passion, but they thin out rapidly as you look at higher layers of the pyramid, though their clusting in the first couple of layers of management probably accounts for the understandable view that being shit to people is the way to top management.Very few highly successful people that I've met are monomaniacs, focusing 100% on their work to the detriment of all other things.Most have at least one serious passion, but conversely it is often the case that they are often so protective of it that part of that part of their life you might know them for a a while and never suspect it.Most have a strong desire to teach, though that is typically not in a classroom. Of course what they want to teach is often not what people want to learn, and sometimes is spectacularly useless and/or wrong.Competitive instincts are there of course, but like aggression is has to be modulated since there are very few fields that where the 'star' is actually acting along.

farmer

October 12th, 2010, 11:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorsociopaths who can't interact with peopleSociopaths by definition are experts at interacting with people. And so far as personal satisfaction, they thrive on it. They fantasize about going down to the police station and lying to the police. Even staying for an extended time and lying and lying and making the chief of police their best friend.The sociopath's fantasy involves another person in a legal and non-sexual way, and not any kind of intimate or emotionally close way - a social or business way.They are like alcoholics, in that the term is used broadly. But if you come to know one well, you will see these people are a breed apart.If there is a pet or a baby, they will always make sure to pick it up. This is one of their favorite parts of their act because they get to use an actual creature as a total prop.
Last edited by farmer on October 11th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MatthewHoyle

October 14th, 2010, 7:55 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorThe nature of my work means I've met a good number of people who've enjoyed great sucess in a variety of fields, thoough obviously with a bias towards finance, and I lean mostly towards e) love of the workBut that is balanced by a loathing of the work being done badly, and quite visceral reactions to people they believe as "letting the side down", pretty much regardless of what "the side " is.By answering the question, I'm specifically answering about a grade of sucess that means stuff you do makes the papers and/or your writings on the subject are taken seriously by your peers.They are also approachable because sociopaths who can't interact with people may be able to do quite well, but very rarely make it really to the top tier.I've met any number of dickhead middle managers who mistake aggrression for passion, but they thin out rapidly as you look at higher layers of the pyramid, though their clusting in the first couple of layers of management probably accounts for the understandable view that being shit to people is the way to top management.Very few highly successful people that I've met are monomaniacs, focusing 100% on their work to the detriment of all other things.Most have at least one serious passion, but conversely it is often the case that they are often so protective of it that part of that part of their life you might know them for a a while and never suspect it.Most have a strong desire to teach, though that is typically not in a classroom. Of course what they want to teach is often not what people want to learn, and sometimes is spectacularly useless and/or wrong.Competitive instincts are there of course, but like aggression is has to be modulated since there are very few fields that where the 'star' is actually acting along.I'd agree with most of this, obviously since I seem to be in a similar job role to Dominic.I've however also met guys who are also competitive to a level that they cannot stand not being the star in a team (it may be interpreted by some as immense desire for attention). This motivation drives them forward and when better performers are introduced into the team, they get better as well.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On