Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Anthis

Is the crisis really that bad?

October 25th, 2010, 10:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmaxQuoteWhat the hell have you been smoking? Where can I get some too?you're yet to explain this stupid post...10x.There are proverbial phrases to describe your situation and the outcome. But they are not polite enough to be posted here. So I have to censor myself.

quantmax
Topic Author

October 25th, 2010, 10:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AnthisQuoteOriginally posted by: quantmaxQuoteWhat the hell have you been smoking? Where can I get some too?you're yet to explain this stupid post...10x.There are proverbial phrases to describe your situation and the outcome. But they are not polite enough to be posted here. So I have to censor myself.Or maybe you're just an idiot? It is a proverbal i agree (or whatever that bizzare word means...). Well...anyhow...ps.i said it already...english isn't my mother tongue...

quantmax
Topic Author

October 25th, 2010, 10:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: BankingAnalystAs traderjoe suggested, uni of liverpool does not look great on your cv. I have to remind you that a lot of Oxbridge guys and gals still work in back office these days.There are loads of hirings at the moment and people are jumping ship all the time. There are unlimited leaving drinks for me to attend and I need to turn down a lot of them. There is nothing wrong with the job marketBrand name is a problem for you. I worked in Zurich ages ago but I have never heard Julius bar. Also your HK HF may be totally unknown in the westQuant developer / quant / trader should never be free. When you offer them to work for free it already signals a problemYou claimed yourself having a diverse range of experience. Did you do it by self-study? It is not counted. You work with the big boys in a tier one company and learn from them. I will doubt that your knowledge in anyone of them is significantly limited to only knowing the surface. (Anyone of us in the forum can kick your a*se with both hands tied at our back)btw where are you based?You know what....a wise man ones said: "The problem of this world is that the stupid people are cocksure and smart people are full of doubt". I am not trying to be a jerk - but when some nternet pseudophilosopher like yourself tells me that is going to kick my ass...lols ...it's just too funny to continue writing on that .Again...good luck in your attempts/endevours as well .

quantmax
Topic Author

October 25th, 2010, 10:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: BankingAnalystAs traderjoe suggested, uni of liverpool does not look great on your cv. I have to remind you that a lot of Oxbridge guys and gals still work in back office these days.There are loads of hirings at the moment and people are jumping ship all the time. There are unlimited leaving drinks for me to attend and I need to turn down a lot of them. There is nothing wrong with the job marketBrand name is a problem for you. I worked in Zurich ages ago but I have never heard Julius bar. Also your HK HF may be totally unknown in the westQuant developer / quant / trader should never be free. When you offer them to work for free it already signals a problemYou claimed yourself having a diverse range of experience. Did you do it by self-study? It is not counted. You work with the big boys in a tier one company and learn from them. I will doubt that your knowledge in anyone of them is significantly limited to only knowing the surface. (Anyone of us in the forum can kick your a*se with both hands tied at our back)btw where are you based?P.s.1. Haven't heard of Julius Bar while working in Zurich? (i admit - being a lyer is often a very good strategy for a trader!)...:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Baer_Group2. Working as a quant should never be free - says who? Marx...Benjamin Franklin, Obama - or the zurich trader?3. Who says what source of knowledge is counted...ba whatever...

quantmax
Topic Author

October 25th, 2010, 11:00 pm

Finally, some guys here (NOT everyone...) seem to fail dramatically while reading 'between the lines' of my message:1. You work and someone pays you = good.2. You work for free = slavery3. You are asked to work for free and pay the employer = my case. PS.I have 2 dimplomas as it's clear now and one in the very relevant field - i am asking for just 15$ per hour and on top of that have a few awards in programming/mathematics + work experiencce...but I still need to work for free and pay my employers.Does it make sense now???
Last edited by quantmax on October 25th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrmister

October 25th, 2010, 11:47 pm

Why should you pay your employers? Is it a prop-shop - minimum investment type of thing? You might have a wide knowledge of all things finance but I would be careful with buzzwords. For example, you have put down what all moments of a random variable are called. Why? You have also put fundamental analysis. Unless you worked in a fundamental shop, that is going to be suicidal.And never suggest to any interviewer that you are willing to work below market if you want to be taken seriously.

mynetself

October 26th, 2010, 6:47 am

Seems to me that they were taking the piss:"Oh, you've got all those skills AND are willing to work for free? Not only is he lying, let's see if he's stupid and gullible so maybe I can get some money off him."Not saying you are stupid or anything, but it seems you are claiming incredible competencies. And if the people on this forum don't believe you, the hiring managers prob don't believe you either. Even if you do have all those skills, the response you got here should be telling you something...

Peniel

October 26th, 2010, 8:05 am

I found a job after looking for a few months. I don't know where you're based, but I found it really tough to get an interview (almost all the headhunters were useless, a few on-line applications worked).Anyway, as some people said, you have a very diverse experience, and I believe this works against you: I guess people look at your resume and think "OK this guy know a little of everything...".When I was looking for a job, I had this idea of setting up a website with on-line toy pricers (sto/local vols+jumps, etc) to show I knew stuff and I could do it, maybe that's something you could do?I think it's wrong to work for free, even worse to pay for a job.Finally, tu160's advice to create 2/3 different resumes sounds very sensible to me. Just my $0.02
Last edited by Peniel on October 25th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BankingAnalyst

October 26th, 2010, 8:10 am

you still don't get itif you want to be a pure quant you need to be ultra smart and geeky in math. Dr Scholes is from Uni of Chicago / MITDr Black / Bill Gates / Mark Zuckerberg are from Harvard Uni. Warren Buffett is from Wharton B school at University of Pennsylvania. This is the label of smart and elitismPutting a wiki link here means nothing. All the banks I worked for they are x20 larger than yours
Last edited by BankingAnalyst on October 25th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darth

October 26th, 2010, 9:43 am

I saw a movie recently "man from earth" ...reminds me of you.... directly descended from paleolithic age.... dude wats ur age 200 years? I have 4 years of work experience trading derivatives ....which is just 2 of the words among the thousand things you claim to have competency in...

Anthis

October 26th, 2010, 9:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: darthI saw a movie recently "man from earth" ...reminds me of you.... directly descended from paleolithic age.... dude wats ur age 200 years? I have 4 years of work experience trading derivatives ....which is just 2 of the words among the thousand things you claim to have competency in...Poor boy...just keep your mouth shut. Because in this new age, your employer might ask your money, your property, your wife, your kidney, even your decency, in exchange for the rare honour to work for him...

plus

October 27th, 2010, 6:43 am

I am prepared to allow you to work for me: you can clean my apartment if you give me $4000.

meniscus

October 27th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Last edited by meniscus on October 26th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meniscus

October 27th, 2010, 3:19 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: BankingAnalystyou still don't get itif you want to be a pure quant you need to be ultra smart and geeky in math. Dr Scholes is from Uni of Chicago / MITDr Black / Bill Gates / Mark Zuckerberg are from Harvard Uni. Warren Buffett is from Wharton B school at University of Pennsylvania. This is the label of smart and elitismPutting a wiki link here means nothing. All the banks I worked for they are x20 larger than yoursNot only are you full of BS but seem to be quite full of yourself to the point where I reckon your head might even fit up into your proverbial behind.Your choice of examples of elitism are poor: Scholes and Black weren't maths geeks but just finance geeks for sure - they couldn't solve their option pricing formula using just standard techniques that a 1st yr undergrad in maths/physics at a decent UK uni would know. It wasn't until Merton got involved that the equation was solved.

axe

November 15th, 2010, 11:40 pm

Hi, I had a question. If asked for such questions on interview such as what frequencies, estimation periods used, R^2, Sharpe ratios I had on my strategies, I guess its OK to say that as long as you don't talk about your model? I have seen many cases where people would be reluctant to talk about that, makes me really wonder why.