SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

mynetself
Topic Author

Bank reputation and career progression

October 29th, 2010, 8:45 am

Hi everyone,I would really appreciate a bit of insight here. Everything else being the same, in terms of general career progression, how would you rate the following IBs? And what I mean is "what looks better on the CV"? How would you rate the reputation of the following IBs?1. Deutsche Bank2. Goldman Sachs3. Morgan Stanley4. RBS5. Credit SuisseWould really appreciate if the head hunters reading this could give some input based on their experience as well.Thanks!

daveangel

October 29th, 2010, 8:47 am

1. goldman2. credit suisse3. morgan stanley4. deutsche bank5. rbs i am not a headhunter - just an observer
Last edited by daveangel on October 28th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

plus

October 29th, 2010, 10:53 am

1. Goldman Sachs2. Morgan Stanley3. Credit Suisse4. Deutsche Bank5. RBS

DevonFangs

October 29th, 2010, 12:06 pm

What are the criteria?Coolness? Difficulty in getting in?
Last edited by DevonFangs on October 28th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

October 29th, 2010, 2:02 pm

1. Goldman Sachs2. Morgan Stanley // Deutsche Bank3. Credit Suisse1500000000000. RBS

meniscus

October 29th, 2010, 4:12 pm

I agree with RMax although I think in the US Morgan Stanley comes ahead of Deutsche.

DominicConnor

October 29th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Which country are we dealing with here ?

ThinkDifferent

October 30th, 2010, 12:14 am

well, in the current environment i'd put Deutsche on top. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-2 ... gains.html

twofish

October 30th, 2010, 3:05 am

I wouldn't rank on the basis of banks. IB's are federations of small groups and the reputation of the group within the bank is more important than the reputation of the bank itself.Also things change, and change rapidly. Also the reputation of the bank doesn't often pass down on people. Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns have horrible reputations, but when they fell apart, you had banks pouring through the rubble looking for diamonds.I've seen situations in which a big-name high reputation group by one bank gets poached en masse by other bank. So you have situations in which Bank X has an excellent group at pricing Elbonian treasury bonds, but they've all left bank X and are working at Bank Y. Sometimes all it takes is for one person to move and that turns crap into gold or vice versa.
Last edited by twofish on October 29th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mynetself
Topic Author

October 30th, 2010, 7:09 am

daveangel, plus, Rmax, meniscus -> Not really surprised about GS "ranking", but wondering why you all put RBS at the bottom. They are the best for rates and very strong, top5 say, for FX. That sure must mean something, no? Is your ranking based on the bail out situation?DevonFangs -> "Coolness", but coolness for potential future employers.DominicConnor -> Well, I'm in the UK so I'm most interested to hear about it, but curious about it in general as well.twofish -> What you say is preciesly why I don't fully understand why everyone above seems to agree that RBS is at the bottom of the five. But this is also true for, say, universities. Not every single studying program is the best in the world at, say, Harvard, but people still prefer to read Harvard on the CV vs. some other place. Even though in the "other" Uni there might be an exceptionally brilliant person, maybe even a future Harvard professor. And this is what I'm interested in understanding.

twofish

October 30th, 2010, 12:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mynetselftwofish -> But this is also true for, say, universities. Not every single studying program is the best in the world at, say, Harvard, but people still prefer to read Harvard on the CV vs. some other place.They actually don't. Harvard wants you to think that people will kiss your feet if you go to Harvard, but they have a financial interest in making you think that. People that go to big name places do have some advantages, but it's really important to understand what those advantages are. QuoteEven though in the "other" Uni there might be an exceptionally brilliant person, maybe even a future Harvard professor. And this is what I'm interested in understanding.Sure, but first you have to understand the hiring process, how people read resumes, how campus recruitment works, and generally why things work the way that they do. You are asking the question assuming that things work a certain way when they in fact don't.For example, the first priority of an employer is *NOT* to hire the most brilliant person in the room. The first priority of an employer is to avoid hiring someone totally incompetent, and one thing about the big name B-schools is that while you have no clue whether or not a graduate is freaking brilliant, you are reasonably sure that they aren't totally incompetent. Also employers go to big name universities for people, in the same way that most people go to Best Buy to get big screen T.V.'s.Also you are vastly overgeneralizing. Different companies look for different things, and details matter.

twofish

October 30th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Also what really gets your resume through is not, "Oh he worked at X" but rather "Hey, I knew him when we both worked at X." After a few years you'll know people working all over Wall Street, and people all over Wall Street will know you, and your personal brand matters a thousand times more than the brand of your employer.
Last edited by twofish on October 29th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KackToodles

October 30th, 2010, 7:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangel1. goldman2. credit suisse3. morgan stanley4. deutsche bank5. rbs where does Macquerie, State Street, and BAML fit in this?

Gmike2000

November 2nd, 2010, 7:00 pm

i think the career progression ultimately depends on what you do (and how you do it), not on where you work. there are kids who preferred a midoffice role at one of the banks on your list to a front office role at, say, state street.bad choice. once mid office, always mid office. no matter where you work. have fun putting the "Goldman Sachs & Company" stamp on those trade tickets that are coming in. All while the state street kid is learning what it means to take risk.

katastrofa

November 5th, 2010, 3:26 am

What about UniCredit (the IB part)?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On