SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

curtis5
Topic Author

starting in Quant

October 31st, 2010, 1:13 pm

When I look at the Job board, I see that most entries are asking for candidates who have a PHD.I have been working in the software world for a number of years, have an MBA and am considering getting a CQF.However, what's are chances of getting an entry level job in London with just CQF and MBA (knowing that the CQF is not a MSc Finance nor a PHD and that the MBA is not necessarily correlated to quant work.)

meniscus

starting in Quant

October 31st, 2010, 2:02 pm

Entry level in quant without Phd.If you have no contacts then I'll say your chances are close to zero.It doesn't matter how many years of software dev you have.

FKant

starting in Quant

October 31st, 2010, 10:22 pm

No phD doesn't necessarily mean no quant job (also quant is too vague: is it dev, pure research, risk ?), science/engineering MSc's can also be considered for these positions, provided they're really good. An MBA imho is clearly not enough for a quant job, but other doors are open (sales, vanilla trading).

mrmister

starting in Quant

November 1st, 2010, 2:10 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: meniscusEntry level in quant without Phd.If you have no contacts then I'll say your chances are close to zero.It doesn't matter how many years of software dev you have.Really inaccurate.

KackToodles

starting in Quant

November 1st, 2010, 3:11 am

why do you think a software job in quant is better than a software job in silicon valley?

twofish

starting in Quant

November 1st, 2010, 5:24 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: meniscusEntry level in quant without Phd.If you have no contacts then I'll say your chances are close to zero.It doesn't matter how many years of software dev you have.That's false, although a lot depends on what exactly you define as "entry level quant job".

twofish

starting in Quant

November 1st, 2010, 5:24 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodleswhy do you think a software job in quant is better than a software job in silicon valley? The hours are better and the stress is less (seriously).

meniscus

starting in Quant

November 1st, 2010, 1:40 pm

QuoteThat's false, although a lot depends on what exactly you define as "entry level quant job".I define it as being a desk quant role (but also a research one) and coming straight out of university.I've never come across anything but.There have been instances where I've seen someone without a Phd move into a quant (on the desk) role and they were front office systems guys who had done an MFE (six years ago when I last saw it happen) and were already employed at the bank.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On