SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

rockroc
Topic Author

how fast do banks give out offers?

November 11th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Hi everyone, I went through a couple rounds of interview, the first round was back in late Sep.Last week, my recuiter called me right away after my last round, saying the hiring manager is 100% going to give me an offer, and we talked for 20 min about my compensation expectation, my situation right now and how should we negotiate the number, he even asked me to send him my passport information, work related documents, etc. I thought this was serious, so I sent everything he asked for.Then he disappears for about a week now, I can't get hold of him (he always calls me from London, but I'm in New York). I sent him emails, he never replied, and I have no idea what the situation is on their side. Is this typical? Could anything go wrong from here? Shall I just move on?I don't feel good, as things are out of my control. Thanks for any insight!

tu160

November 11th, 2010, 5:27 pm

Last edited by tu160 on December 9th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

November 11th, 2010, 6:26 pm

Recruiters only call back when they have something positive to say, that's my experience. Things will never be fully under your control in this process. Don't give up hope, but I'd interview elsewhere if possible.

tu160

November 11th, 2010, 7:05 pm

rockroc
Topic Author

November 11th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Hi, thanks for your replies, I just don't understand why this recuiter made everything look like going to happen tomorrow, I just feel myself so stupid to even send him all of my documentations, home address, every single detail he asked for, now I'm concerned whether those docs really fell in good hands.I can accept that I may not be a good fit, or there are push backs from HR, I'm ok with that, but I just need to know. In fact, I already have another offer, but this one I'm waiting is supposed to be better, that's why I'm so frustrated. =(

tu160

November 11th, 2010, 7:31 pm

rockroc
Topic Author

November 11th, 2010, 7:35 pm

only if I could get hold of the recuiter, right?shall I contact the hiring manager directly?I was told it's bad to directly contact them.

tu160

November 11th, 2010, 7:40 pm

twofish

November 12th, 2010, 5:52 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rockrocHi, thanks for your replies, I just don't understand why this recuiter made everything look like going to happen tomorrow, I just feel myself so stupid to even send him all of my documentations, home address, every single detail he asked for, now I'm concerned whether those docs really fell in good hands.It might have something to do with the fact that the recruiter loses his commission if you keep looking and find a better job. Sure things aren't. Also, it may have nothing to do with the recruiter. It has happened that everything was ready, and then the job just evaporated.QuoteI can accept that I may not be a good fit, or there are push backs from HR, I'm ok with that, but I just need to know. In fact, I already have another offer, but this one I'm waiting is supposed to be better, that's why I'm so frustrated. =(Oh that's easy. Tell recruiter one that you have another offer, that you need the first company to formally give you an offer very quickly, and if that doesn't happen, take the second offer since the first one never existed.Also, it helps not to get too emotional about this. It's just subway trains.

twofish

November 12th, 2010, 5:54 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rockroconly if I could get hold of the recuiter, right?If you can't get hold of the recruiter, then the first job doesn't exist.Quoteshall I contact the hiring manager directly? I was told it's bad to directly contact them.I don't see how this could turn bad if it did. If you have a second offer, and everyone hates you (which I doubt will happen), then it doesn't matter.

twofish

November 12th, 2010, 5:55 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tu160personally I would contact your potential boss. May be there is some political moving and shaking in HR, when he could help... if he can and if he wants.Or it could be that the job has just evaporated which is why your recruiter isn't talking to you.

phil451

November 17th, 2010, 2:29 pm

There is another course of action at that is personal security. You need to contact the recruiting firm directly (i'm assuming that it is known) and ensure that your personal details are being correctly handled.If someone has gained access to this data by deception, he/she is breaking the law

RVP1234

November 17th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Hi guys,I've found myself to be in a very similar situation. Can I ask what sort of push backs HR can have? or anyother barriers that are normally present before the offer is made.CheersD

rockroc
Topic Author

November 17th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Hi everybody, thanks for everyone's response,I finally caught the recuiter through endless Emails and international phone calls, at the end, it looks like he blew it, he gave out a number that is in the higher end of my range and "hiring manager has got a bit cold after we talked about the number". (but, it's another issue)I'm chasing down the hiring manager and try to talk to him directly for one last time.Lessen learned: usually, if you have an offer pending, but you don't get anything in next two days, you should try very hard to hunt the recuiter down find out what's going on, it could be the recuiter blew it. This is just bad.

twofish

November 18th, 2010, 12:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: RVP1234Can I ask what sort of push backs HR can have? or anyother barriers that are normally present before the offer is made.The main one that I've seen is that you could be in the middle of hiring someone and suddenly get your budget cut for no good reason. In most quant hiring HR has almost no role in the hiring process other than to shuffle papers. The big landmines don't come from HR but rather from the manager's manager.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On